PDA

View Full Version : "500EX" Stroker!

433rd
09-23-2002, 10:15 PM
I Would like to hear from folks with this combo and done quite a bit of hard riding or racing with it. Looks like a beast, just would like to hear a little first hand experience before I dive into this one.

What other performance parts were used when building it (what cam, valves, carb, exhaust, mods, etc...)?

How is the power and reliability? Is the power across the board or more on the lower end?

Thanks!!

ridinthedunes
09-23-2002, 10:27 PM
I second that!!!

Razorback
09-24-2002, 06:50 AM
chris400extreme has one. i've seen it in person and it is a beast. very nice machine. i'm sure he'll pop on here and comment, but as long as you use a reputable builder like he did (Four Stroke Tech) you should be OK with this engine.

redrider ex
09-24-2002, 07:24 AM
i've seen it to this thing will probably out run a stock 400 in 3rd gear its very bad , a rapter don't won't none i saw that .:D

BadA$$440
09-24-2002, 01:33 PM
I am a;so interested in getting this kit later on in the future. Chad Duval runs the heII out of his 500ex and no prob at all.

Chris400extreme
09-24-2002, 04:19 PM
well i ride mine just like it was a bone stoick ride. which means i ride the crap out of it. i trail ride and drag race quite a bit. dont have any problems. the power is a huge increase everywhere. this i really the motor honda should have in it right now. i have it bored and resleeved to accept a 90mm piston, 11.1 compression, ported, fcr 39 carb, hrc cam (need a better cam to make the most power but that is this winter most likely.) lrd full exhaust. dont have hardened rockers cause i have the fst oil cooler on it and it does well. i use a 16 tooth front sprocket to calm it down some and make it daster on top end. i believe i made a good choice with fst doing the parts for me. i dis-assembled and assembled it all myself so would say it is doing really well right now. any questions feel free to ask.

P.s. hey you mena, wolf pen gap guys, when is the nex ride in the area we can all pull to? thanks for the comments on the ride. your guys ride were some clean rides also. represent the exriders well

433rd
09-24-2002, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the replies, please keep 'em coming!

The one thing that I have been thinking about is the cam, as Chris did mention as well. With what is currently on the market for the 400EX engine, none are truly designed for this size of "swollen" EX engine. It seems to me that the engine would greatly benefit from a cam that is a little more than what is available right now (e.g., higher lift, little more duration).

Any other thoughts from you guys on this?

MEL
09-24-2002, 06:15 PM
Chad blew his tranny out this weekend on his fst 500. my guess would be to much hp, if there is such a thing.

mxracer111
09-24-2002, 09:08 PM
the 400ex trans. is extremely weak. 3rd gear goes bad first. then damages the shift forks. my motor just did it last week. as soon as you put some hard riding on it and a lot of power. it really tears it up

JabberJaw
09-24-2002, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by redrider ex
i've seen it to this thing will probably out run a stock 400 in 3rd gear its very bad , a rapter don't won't none i saw that .:D
Hey....pass me a beer too!

10-01-2002, 12:04 PM
I thin kChad Duval just blew an engine at high point. and i also heard that u have to rebuild them alot. And if the main rider with that kit, cant hold it together, i dont want it either

quadman21
10-01-2002, 04:09 PM
Yokely blew his tranny, Duvall blew his engine. That makes me think twice about the kit. It's cool as sh1t, don't get me wrong, but if Honda had intended on the 400EX engine being a 500, they would have just made a 500. I think once you go past a certain point with the engine building you loose any reliability no matter what anyone says and I don't have FST backing me to just rebuild my quad everytime it breaks. Just my .02 cents

Guy400
10-01-2002, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by quadman21
Yokely blew his tranny, Duvall blew his engine. That makes me think twice about the kit. It's cool as sh1t, don't get me wrong, but if Honda had intended on the 400EX engine being a 500, they would have just made a 500. I think once you go past a certain point with the engine building you loose any reliability no matter what anyone says and I don't have FST backing me to just rebuild my quad everytime it breaks. Just my .02 cents Doesn't Alky472 have a an engine similar to this. I believe he stated in another thread that he's got to change oil after every race.

ChadEXer
10-02-2002, 08:45 AM
Tom recomends that I change my oil as often as possible too!!! I keep seeing on here where Mickey says he has no problems with his motor, yet I hear over and over from different people that his motors are having problems?????

Extremeracer167
10-02-2002, 09:28 AM
dont say that too loud, someone might get pissed off!! :D
With almost any high performance engine u get, they recommend u change oil all the time. But personally, i dont think its necassary. Now for you Chad, yeah i would becuase u prob. have a ton of cash dumped in your engine. But its like a car engine, i dont think its really good to change oil in it after everytime u make a 2 hour trip. BUt thats prob. my backwards sence of mind. But i have never had any clutch problems, nor any other engine problems, besides a few carb problems, but that has nothing to do with oil. I like to get about 2-3 races b4 i cahnge oil. Its not becuase im cheap, becuase everyone knows i blow my money on those over-rated Axis, lol. But i just feel it allows the oil to work more and better. Just my opinion??

quadman21
10-02-2002, 09:54 AM
I usually change my oil in my 440 once a week. that's with riding it hard all week long. I guess I'm over paranoid about my engine and want to keep fresh oil on it.

redrider ex
10-02-2002, 10:09 AM
:D