PDA

View Full Version : Storing Upright

hollywood250r
01-15-2007, 07:55 PM
To gain a little more space in my garage I am doing to store my R upright. I know that I need to drain the gas tank. If I don't drain the coolant and tranmission oil will either of the two leak out when the quad is upright?

pimpt250r
01-15-2007, 09:21 PM
coolant from the radiator,will run out the overflo,
I would say if your gonna store it like that sell
it because you aint ridin enough

Aceman
01-15-2007, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by pimpt250r
coolant from the radiator,will run out the overflo,
I would say if your gonna store it like that sell
it because you aint ridin enough

Do you realize how many people only ride a few times a year?? Not everyone can get out every weekend.

gbcap
01-16-2007, 06:20 AM
i would drain all the fluids so that there is no problem at all. other then that you should be fine. i personally wouldn't want to store a bike like that.

ChvyCruzen
01-16-2007, 06:44 AM
Your tranny oil should be fine. I'd be concerned about antifreeze the most, maybe fuel if you got a full tank. I stored mine upright for about a week just to make more room for that time being - haven't had any ill effects since then.

Creech52
01-16-2007, 07:38 AM
If you dont want to drain the rad id just pinch off the overflow hose with some needle nose vice grips, the trans oil should be ok but it may run out of the breather on the back of the motor, I had a 4 poke do that when we had it up on the grab bar for some work to be done. It didnt really pour out, but enough to dribble on the floor some.

ChvyCruzen
01-16-2007, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by Creech52
If you dont want to drain the rad id just pinch off the overflow hose with some needle nose vice grips, the trans oil should be ok but it may run out of the breather on the back of the motor, I had a 4 poke do that when we had it up on the grab bar for some work to be done. It didnt really pour out, but enough to dribble on the floor some.

Interesting, my R didnt dribble out the breather. I always fill to recomended level.

chris46250r
01-16-2007, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by ChvyCruzen
Interesting, my R didnt dribble out the breather. I always fill to recomended level.

That could be as simple as what kind of grab bar you have and 18 or 20 inch tires on the back.

250r4life
01-16-2007, 09:43 AM
i wouldnt leave your radiator sitting empty- a good way for it to corrode...

Tom TRX250R
01-16-2007, 10:36 AM
Like 250R4Life stated, am empty radiator will corrode, I would leave it full and simply plug off the overflow hose so it will not leak. The tranny fluid shouldn't be a problem either just leave it as is.

fast250r
01-16-2007, 04:45 PM
I bought both my first two R's off the same guy. He was the original owner of both of them. He stored both of them standing up. The one stood there for five years before I bought it. They both started right up and had no problems at all.

spent21
01-16-2007, 05:01 PM
i have kept a 250x and my 250r stored upright over a year with no leakage (the 400 goes out every weekend).

do you guys know how a radiator cap works? the only time fluid will come out of the overflow tube (if the cap is good) is when the water expands enough to put a few pounds of pressure on it and then it opens to relieve the pressure. coolant should not come out any other time.

the fuel tank doesn't need to be drained either, as long as the fuel level is below the cap when upright.

rebelbanshee
01-16-2007, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by spent21
i have kept a 250x and my 250r stored upright over a year with no leakage (the 400 goes out every weekend).

do you guys know how a radiator cap works? the only time fluid will come out of the overflow tube (if the cap is good) is when the water expands enough to put a few pounds of pressure on it and then it opens to relieve the pressure. coolant should not come out any other time.

the fuel tank doesn't need to be drained either, as long as the fuel level is below the cap when upright.

this guy is exactly right. Stand it up and just keep an eye on it the first couple days to make sure nothing is leaking.

deathman53
01-16-2007, 05:49 PM
I stand my trx250r and atc250r & 200x up. I have to add some tranny oil , as some drips. The 200x, I sit it on the ground for few hours(usually night before and way to the riding area), kick it over a few times with the ingition switch and gas off, then start it as normal. Lots of people store their bikes like this. The gas tanks are usually below 1/2 filled, no gas leaks, except if I leave the petcock on. Gas will leak out of the carb when you stand it up(just the gas in the carb, not much).