PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle mechanices look please!

hondajoe05
01-15-2007, 07:10 PM
so i own a 1990 dodge dakota ext cab 3.9 truck with like 270,000 miles on it its been threw it all yes but im droppin a 318 or 360 in mid summerish and paintin it like the genral lee and runnin smoke stacks .. jus sayin so people don't put smart *** comments like get a new truck... i can't get it to fire i've changed the coil ,distributer cap, points, spark plugs and wires... and i don't really wanna put a new distributer in it to see if that works and i've reset the computer system anyone know what is preventing this old beast from firing?

byrdman37876
01-15-2007, 07:21 PM
did u put a new rotorer button? also try a modular chip ( under the rotorer button ). should be a little black looking chip. never had a dodge but most vehicles in the later years had them.

y3llow400ex
01-15-2007, 07:36 PM
check the coil and if it has one, the crankshaft positioning sensor. if the crank shaft positioning sensor is bad, nothing else will get fire.

hondajoe05
01-15-2007, 09:30 PM
coils been changed... whats the chances it could be the crankshaft sensor? or the muduler chip? and whats the prices on these run this truck as even been smurged in creek once haha... jus askin for prices cuz anything over like 20$ im not puttin out cuz i got too many bills at 16 i'll jus take it to the shop and have them do it quickly and cheaply

Architects
01-16-2007, 02:03 AM
WTF is a rotorer button? I believe your talking about carbon button in the distributor. Are you getting spark? Are you getting fuel? First two things Id check

wvspeedfreak
01-16-2007, 04:53 AM
Those trucks were bad about wires corroding to the Auto Shutdown Relay.That is the relay that powers up the ecm,ignition,etc.It is on the left side inner fender.Check and repair any wires in this area that appear corroded.

forty
01-16-2007, 05:06 AM
Is it getting gas?

byrdman37876
01-16-2007, 08:59 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Architects
[B]WTF is a rotorer button?

well i spelled it wrong the first time but it is the first thing u see when u pull the distributer cap. the rotary button rotates and puts the spark at wires.if the rotary button has a burn mark on it it is probly shot ( same goes for the cap also ).

baseballplaya23
01-16-2007, 11:55 AM
Are you talking about the rotor?

First i would pull the air cleaner and make sure your getting fuel. Then pull a wire and see if your getting spark. Then let us know

byrdman37876
01-16-2007, 01:10 PM
yes i am talking about the "rotary button". that is what they are called in part stores ( the one's here anyway and in many automotive books).

hondajoe05
01-16-2007, 03:53 PM
yes its getting fuel.. it is not firing if you read the question asked

Rastus
01-16-2007, 04:02 PM
Did it start doing this all at once?

Maybe rotor button, but it sounds sensor related to me. I've never worked on a truck like this, so I don't know what else to tell you.

Check to make sure you've got power to your coil and distrib. If they've got power, the first thing I'd do is check any Ignition module(Usually inside the distrib.) or look for a cam/crank sensor and try replacing those. While you're doing this look for any burn marks or pinch places in the wiring, and check for corrosion on terminals.

hondajoe05
01-16-2007, 04:19 PM
like 3 weeks it did this similar think like 3 weeks ago
i broke the starter off its mounts then tho and replaced it
went out like 3 days later and it started right up ... i changed the rotor button(points is what we call it around here) and tried starting it and theirs a black mark on it from the brand new cap like its getting spark into the cap but not coming back out.. and ys the distributer is turning

y3llow400ex
01-17-2007, 08:45 PM
i ment to say ignition module in my early post. the crank shaft positioning sensor is 65 - 82 bucks depending on if its a 5spd or auto. I forgot to check on the price at work on the ignition module. if u changed the coil, plugs, wires and ur not getting fire, then it has to be one of them two. i work at advance auto and i see this **** everyday. if i could see a pic of your module( i'll look at one when i get to work tomorrow) i could tell you if it can be tested.

hondajoe05
01-17-2007, 09:03 PM
alright thanks

byrdman37876
01-17-2007, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by y3llow400ex
i ment to say ignition module in my early post. the crank shaft positioning sensor is 65 - 82 bucks depending on if its a 5spd or auto. I forgot to check on the price at work on the ignition module. if u changed the coil, plugs, wires and ur not getting fire, then it has to be one of them two. i work at advance auto and i see this **** everyday. if i could see a pic of your module( i'll look at one when i get to work tomorrow) i could tell you if it can be tested.

i'm glad someone else knows what that "little black looking chip was":huh

wvspeedfreak
01-18-2007, 04:59 AM
On his truck the ignition module is an integrated part of the ECM,it is not a seperate piece.The only thing inside his distributor is a magnetic pick-up assembly.That can be tested with a volt/ohm meter.

byrdman37876
01-18-2007, 09:34 AM
i see well like the saying goes learn something new ever day.

hondajoe05
01-18-2007, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by wvspeedfreak
On his truck the ignition module is an integrated part of the ECM,it is not a seperate piece.The only thing inside his distributor is a magnetic pick-up assembly.That can be tested with a volt/ohm meter.

could you discribe how it looks?

wvspeedfreak
01-18-2007, 12:58 PM
The magnetic pick-up is a round flat plastic piece under your rotor button in the distributor.It has 2 wires going to it.The ECM(or computer)is tucked up under the inner fender.It is about the size of a shoe box lid with a big wiring harness bolted to it.You cant actually see the module,it is inside the ECM and is not servicable seperately.