PDA

View Full Version : Wut the Truck

Scott-300ex
01-15-2007, 06:36 PM
Ok, drivin my truck, radio goes on and off then finally off for good. Lights dim, I'm 15 miles from town, if I'm over 1/4 throttle it dies and backfires and throws flame 1'6'' out the tail pipe. If I turn the lights off then I can run wfo.:confused:

It was dark and no moon so drivin home was a B!tch cuz no lights and no moon, so, I'm thinknin its battery and alternator, battery is TOTALLY DEAD AND WILL NOT CHARGE with a battery charger.

Help

Thanks

sakirocket28
01-16-2007, 12:42 PM
happend to me jus a little while back. i lost all gauges, and the lights were flickering with the rpm of the motor, it turned out being the alternator. good luck

csimp3
01-16-2007, 01:05 PM
definietly sounds like an alternator to me, ive had to replace em in almost every vehicle ive had, they are easy though

c450Razy
01-16-2007, 01:12 PM
Iam going to say its the alternator.

Doober
01-16-2007, 01:35 PM
yea my friend had the same problem, ended up being her alternator.

7 speed
01-16-2007, 01:59 PM
Must be a Ford!

Lol... J/k

It does sound like the alternator to me as well. I would start there.

1fst400
01-16-2007, 02:09 PM
Put the charger on the batery when its in the truck. or put a fresh batery in it. If the truck runs fine then with the lights on. Then either disconnect the charger or test new batery for how much voltage it has with truck running. If its not between 13-18v your alternator is my guess also.

theTman
01-16-2007, 02:14 PM
what ddi you do..get out and measure the flame and mat the gas all at once? lol

bulkdriverlp
01-16-2007, 02:47 PM
alternator.

no he got out his go-go gadget leg and romped on the gas with tape measure near tailpipe.

just change alternator, battery, starter, then you wont have to worry what the problem is:D

Scott-300ex
01-18-2007, 05:05 PM
Thanks guys, I'll be goin to Indiana on Sat. if I can get it fixed by then to go get an S-10 hood with my buddy.

How Much Do you think it'll run for an 87 Dodge Dakota?

ShiftFMX
01-18-2007, 08:09 PM
Try swapping the battery out with another vehicle before you go spending more money then you may need to

blasterandy
01-18-2007, 08:14 PM
my s10 did that it turned out to be the alternator and i had to get a new battery after completely killed the battery. Thats what it sounds like to me good thing you did't get stranded.

Scott-300ex
01-19-2007, 12:57 PM
Yeh, I was determined to get home so make a black drive home, no lights, no moon, Ha.

I got an alternator today for like $40 and I'm gonna put it on in a little bit.

It warmed up today its like 35F.

Scott-300ex
01-21-2007, 06:56 PM
Alright, I take off the alternator and there was a connector not hooked up. So I bought one at O'Reilly's but the conectors were to big so I went to O'Reilly's had them test my old one it was good so I return the new one, they give me like $10 more than wut I paid for it so I made money, Haha.

Install old alternator, take off voltage regulator, put new one of them on I got for free cuz lifetime warranty of the one my friend bought when he had it. My buddy gives me an old battery so I'm set, it starts up and everything works, but it over charges, the gauge on the dash says its puttin out 18, it should only give off 14.

Me and my bud go to Indiana which was Michigan and Ohio border, subs work off and on, when you hit the brakes/mess with the heat control/use blinker then they work so some kind of electrical mess up there.

On the way home hittin Effingham, IL lights go out! Drive like 5 miles to Effingham, ask a gas station for Parts store, we drive threw town no headlights, but we had parking lights and dash and dome and everything else, past all the cops and the cop station and get there and are fixin these lights out in 25 degree wheater.

Luckilly weather doesn't bother me, Hour and a half later I swap out voltage regulators, for free and buy 1, yes I'm cheap, only 1 headlight to drive home and it made it home, still OVERCHARGES THOUGH. WTF? I have sets of lights at home from previous owner so thats why I only bought 1, to make it home.

ANYBODY HAVE ANY IDEA HOW I CAN GET IT FROM OVER CHARGING? THANKS.