PDA

View Full Version : throttles!!

jmcgui22
01-15-2007, 03:51 PM
which do most people prefer, i have a 440ex and im looking to switch to a twist throttle! tell me which do you prefer, thumb or twist?

Colby@C&DRacing
01-15-2007, 04:00 PM
I perfer thumb have you looked into the terrycable dual gasser? The best of both worlds there :) Twist and thumb throttle.

itismejoshy
01-15-2007, 11:07 PM
i like twist better, but they both have thier pros and cons.
i also ride streetbike every day, so my wrist are used the twist abuse, a thumb throttle makes my whole left arm tired, but if you ride with a thumb alot this doesn't happen. i think i just like the twist because when in the whoops when i really should let off it makes me give it more, lol, maybe this is not a good thing:huh

motoboy66
01-16-2007, 11:58 PM
I personal like a twist better. I spent a lot of time on bikes befor the quad. I switched back to the thumb for one race and my left arm was dead. I felt like I was only riding with one are the whole time. I fell like I can hang on better with the twister. Like everyone says its personal preference, but I prefer the twist.

suzukiray
01-17-2007, 10:58 PM
Thumb throttles are for JET SKIS & PWCs! Motorcycles & quads ( Which were derived from motorcycles!) have TWIST throttles!!!!! Ray.

01-18-2007, 07:13 AM
I hate the thumb throttle.

But I'm dangerous on the twist throttle on an ATV.

I can't control a twist in the rough stuff.

z400rida44
01-20-2007, 11:30 AM
yea i prefer the thumb throttle because i feel you have more control.

Old Head
01-20-2007, 01:47 PM
i've had both and prefer the thumb hands down for an atv.

Nate_450R
01-21-2007, 01:33 AM
ive had both and absolutely hated the twist!!! if it wasnt flat and smooth it sucked. if i was going over any bumps i couldnt keep from burping the throttle. might be great for some flat circle track type racing (in my oppinion). plus i aways felt like i was never giving it all she had, like i could never get to the end of the throttle. i still have the one off my 450R thats for sale. if your interested make an offer. you may have to buy a new cable or something.

01-21-2007, 04:19 AM
Originally posted by Nate_450R
ive had both and absolutely hated the twist!!! if it wasnt flat and smooth it sucked. if i was going over any bumps i couldnt keep from burping the throttle.

I wrecked my first ATV ( a Blaster) with a twist throttle.

Tried to pop the front end up over a log, weight shifted back, rolled onto the throttle, wide open in third gear, wheelied right into a tree, went flying over the handle bars (just missed the tree) and landed on my back.

Stupid me, I was riding all alone.

Bent the a arms and the frame.

Sold it for parts.

northwest Texas
01-21-2007, 08:26 AM
Thumb for me. I put a twist throttle on a Quadracer years ago and never could get used to it. Still paying for that mistake today (injury)

Most guys that started on bikes like the twist better it seems.

It felt like I had to drive with one hand when I had the twist, couldn't just hold on with the throttle hand

suzukigirl
01-21-2007, 04:35 PM
personally i don't like the thumb throttle....before i even got my quad home i had the throttle changed to a twist...but they both have their advantages.....the thumb would be better for racing..escpecially on the whoops...cause you'd have more control and not slip on the throttle accidentaly....its really all about what you are more comfortable using

peacefrog
01-23-2007, 06:15 PM
Luved my twist, had to much fun with it. It sucked on inside turns in the dunes. Was a blast butt sumtime was rideing out of control. Was very easy to get trone back an be on the gas. Was scary sum times on big hill climbs. Went back to thumb an still getting used to it.

SandNut777
01-23-2007, 07:16 PM
HEY if you are an experienced rider then you might like the twist if your now hold on to your butt because the first bad bump you hit and give it the gas instead of the brake Hold on because youll be on the ground with your quad on top of you LOL . Thats my input and i do have a thumb.Easy and safe.

2001 400EX soon to be 440EX
Wiseco 11:1 piston
AC Black Line Pro Peg Nerfs
ASV Pro Pack Levers (Billet Red)
ITP Pro 9 Wheels All Around
ITP Holeshot HD Tires Front
Aluminium Air Box (Insane Performance)
DG Front Bumper
K&N Air Filter And Outerwares
ITP Sandstar and Douglas Blue Labels (for the sand)
Pro Circuit T-4 (In Garage) to loud for the city.
Renthal Handlebars W/Tag Grips
Bill's Headpipe On Order

deathman53
01-24-2007, 10:37 AM
I changed my atv's to twist throttles, I do find that you need to not grasp the bar real tight. I also find that its easier to control if you hang on the atv like you would a dirtbike(squeezing the tank with your legs) instead of holding on to bars. I think this is where most of the accidents happen. I rode dirtbike for awhile along atv's and I got used to a twist throttle. I also like twists as it keeps people from asking if they can ride my bikes, especailly my trikes. It does take some getting used to, but after you do, you don't want to ride a thumb throttle afterward.
I also find with the twist throttles, you stand on the pegs more.

Nate_450R
01-24-2007, 09:16 PM
I also find with the twist throttles, you stand on the pegs more.

when i had my twist on, i found it extremely difficult to stand up on the pegs. while standing up you ere pulling back with all of your wait making you twist the throttle even more. personally, i HATE the twist...but thats just me.

matt250r21
01-24-2007, 09:29 PM
The twist I had on my R for one ride tried to kill me! Thumb throttle is all I can use.

peacefrog
01-25-2007, 05:25 AM
The twist was def a more ,manlyer filling than the thumb. It was a freaken blast every once in a while wish i still had it on.

derrickwade
01-26-2007, 06:51 PM
i like to twist and shout!

suzukigirl
01-27-2007, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by derrickwade
i like to twist and shout!

lmao:p