PDA

View Full Version : front end setup how to?

ny300exrider
01-15-2007, 02:47 PM
anyone know if there is a online how-to or guide on installing a new front end? im going to be replacing my 450r front end for a elka/burgard and a step by step would be nice to make sure i do it right. id like to know the best/easiest way to do swap the ball joints, bleed brakes, camber/castor adjustment, tips and tricks, etc

if anyone has any helpful tips or pics that they would like to post thatd be a great help as well

thanks

ny300exrider
01-16-2007, 08:30 PM
bump, anyone??

pictures of the process or tips and tricks would be such a great help.

like i said, i need to know how to swap ball joints, do the brakes, and set up camber/castor. dont know anyone who has done the job so this is my only hope:)

Project300EX
01-16-2007, 11:00 PM
For your ball joints use a deep well socket to go between the two ball joints. Loosen one and it will push against the socket and pop it out. Get a little longer socket for the other one. To bleed the brakes just have a buddy to loosen up the valve and push the brake lever and tighten it back up while you have it pushed. Do that until they feel firm. Add fluid as needed. To get your caster put everything together and steer the wheels as straight as you can using eye measurement. Use a string to measure the distance between the two front wheels in front of the spindles and behind the spindles. Get the measurements the same by adjusting your tie rods, but also get the distance between the tie rod ends on each side the same. When you get the distance on the front and rear of the wheels the same and the distance between your tie rod end on each side the same you have good caster. For camber you will want a tad negative. Park it on a flat level floor with the wheels pointing straight. Adjust your ball joints all the way in. Use a carpenters sqaure to get them to were they have a nuetral camber. When you do this adjust one of the ball joints to where it has just a bit of negative. Put the square up to the wheel and measure the distance from the top of the wheel to the square. Then go adjust the other side to match.

That should get you pretty darn close.