PDA

View Full Version : Effects of exhaust leaking

gojk
01-15-2007, 01:17 PM
My Paul Turner eliminator pipe leaks right were the exhaust mounts to the motor. What are the effects of this happening and what can I do to fix it. I just replaced the springs with 2 brand new springs. Thanks in advance for the answers.

iamjasyn
01-15-2007, 02:46 PM
They're kinda notorious for that actually. I don't konw that it's a huge deal unless the metal itself is misshaped or something. I bought an Al piece off ebay wiht dual viton o-rings instead of that asbestos stock ring. By the way, if you don't have the asbestos stock ring, that might be a good place to start.

matt250r21
01-15-2007, 03:53 PM
I would seal that thing up good with some ultra copper or black high temp silicone goo. You could run the risk of seizing your motor by sucking fresh air back into the cylinder through the head pipe leak.

spent21
01-15-2007, 04:01 PM
ditto.
i bought the aluminum exhaust ring that bolts to the cylinder as well. i LOVE that thing. a little high temp silicone never hurt either.
depending on how bad the leak is, it IS possible to seize the piston since the leak creates a lean condition.

good luck.

RichM1983
01-15-2007, 04:26 PM
I have read that the motor can suck dirt and things back in the motor when the exhaust leaks next to the cylinder. I can't remember who posted that though.

C-LEIGH RACING
01-15-2007, 04:33 PM
:D

Ask me what it will do to a blaster engine when its leaking in that area.
Well, that was a brand new piston.
Neil

gojk
01-15-2007, 04:38 PM
What about power loss? It seems like the engine doesn't rev up like it should.

C-LEIGH RACING
01-15-2007, 05:32 PM
When you said it was leaking, did you mean it was gooie oil stuff coming out or exhaust smoke.

When the pipes not sealed up good in the area next to the cylinder, it can suck raw air, dirt, water, what ever is around that area into the engine from the returning wave of the pipe.

Power loss, maybe just a little, but not enough to notice or feel.
Neil

gojk
01-15-2007, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by C-LEIGH RACING
When you said it was leaking, did you mean it was gooie oil stuff coming out or exhaust smoke.

When the pipes not sealed up good in the area next to the cylinder, it can suck raw air, dirt, water, what ever is around that area into the engine from the returning wave of the pipe.

Power loss, maybe just a little, but not enough to notice or feel.
Neil

Mainly just oil, but it does look like it is blowing some of that oil on the the parts surrounding the area, which leads me to believe that exhaust gases are leaking also.

Crazy lil punk
01-15-2007, 07:38 PM
what if it only leaks alittle smoke at start up? is that okay? sorry, dont mean to thread jack

C-LEIGH RACING
01-16-2007, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by gojk
Mainly just oil, but it does look like it is blowing some of that oil on the the parts surrounding the area, which leads me to believe that exhaust gases are leaking also.

Thats probably not that bad then.
As ugly & messy as it is, that oily mess comming out, thats somewhat a good sign, means your engine is getting plenty of fuel to keep everything lubed & cool.
You should see my engines, I run them way fat so we have bunches of that oily mess, that is, when I can keep the kids dads from playing with the jets. Thats a job right by itself, trainning the kids dad what NOT to do.
Neil

Tom TRX250R
01-16-2007, 10:43 AM
Buy an ESR aluminum exhaust flange www.esr250.com with the orange high temp rings. Then buy some high temp silicone (the stuff I use is orange) and apply it on both the exhaust flange where the pipe slides over and also where the gasket is as well. After doing this I would guarantee it won't leak. I have fixed a lot of R's leaking oil problems with this.

86 Quad R
01-17-2007, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by Tom TRX250R
Buy an ESR aluminum exhaust flange www.esr250.com with the orange high temp rings. Then buy some high temp silicone (the stuff I use is orange) and apply it on both the exhaust flange where the pipe slides over and also where the gasket is as well. After doing this I would guarantee it won't leak. I have fixed a lot of R's leaking oil problems with this.

same technique i use. works well.

for safe measures i also slide a hi-temp o-ring up the flange while sliding the pipe on. once everything is in place. the o-ring rolls back down against the mouth of the pipe.

sdyme1995
01-17-2007, 03:39 PM
would a leak in this area cause a bit of a pop in the exhaust, also sorry for the jack but it is along the lines :)

C-LEIGH RACING
01-17-2007, 05:01 PM
I dont know, thats something & never done any testing on.
I have had some engines that had a extra poping like sound in the exhaust, but when we changed the ignition or carb it went away.
Neil

Scott-300ex
01-19-2007, 01:22 PM
My 250r leaks oil where the cylinder and the exhaust meet, every other quad I have seen has too. Its normal.

But if there is an air leak then it could mess up your jetting a little and you need backpressure for that thing to run right.

Scott-300ex
01-19-2007, 01:23 PM
My 250r leaks oil where the cylinder and the exhaust meet, every other quad I have seen has too. Its normal.

But if there is an air leak then it could mess up your jetting a little and you need backpressure for that thing to run right.

hondardr4life
01-21-2007, 10:36 AM
If it leaks bad enough it will rev uncontrolably on startup, Kinda liek mine, lol...

86 Quad R
01-22-2007, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by hondardr4life
If it leaks bad enough it will rev uncontrolably on startup, Kinda liek mine, lol...

this is true.....

C-LEIGH RACING
01-22-2007, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
this is true.....

Then,,, what happens after it does that,,
Neil

86 Quad R
01-22-2007, 12:07 PM
i've seen some lean out and sit there en surge at medium to high rpm's and i've seen others just rev. it kinda depends on the out side air temps.

norcalduner
01-22-2007, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by hondardr4life

this happens on mine too:(

C-LEIGH RACING
01-23-2007, 07:14 AM
And it results from,,,,
Neil