PDA

View Full Version : ky250r overhaulin time

KY250r
01-14-2007, 05:35 PM
i pulled quad apart the other day wih my buddy jarrod. we are gonna completely redo it. sandblast the frame and swingarm. then getpaint and powder coating done. put new bearings in the aarms and stuff. put a new pipe on(Paul Turner Racepipe). he loves R's he hada 310r and he wishes he never sold it. but heres a pic of my frame, and one of his z with the yoshi 440 kit in it. he has it set up like j jones! GET BETTER JEREMIAH!

KY250r
01-14-2007, 05:37 PM
heres jarrods z440.

KY250r
01-14-2007, 05:40 PM
thats the r on other side before the tear down. it had a blue frame andbrass colored swingarm. now its gonna be black frame with black swingarm. im running same red plasics with the blue seat. im runningfly racing bars and a new tether killswitch. we are also installing a cr250 flywheel, cr 250 coil and plug wire and a ESR module. also he race pipe, jetting it out, painting springs black and linkagesblack, with black wheels and new tires alla round. im goin for +2 axle and arms as well. ill post pics of theprogress and keep you informed. it was ugly bu not for long! im addiced and well i got bit and now im on a rampage heheheh.

All ideas welcomed!

ChvyCruzen
01-14-2007, 07:03 PM
If it were me, I'd get some accent pieces (like motor mounts and suspension components) and paint or pc a different color than the frame. Sets things out more. All black is sick but only so much can be done then its too much. Just my .02

250Renvy
01-14-2007, 08:21 PM
Since you're running an 86, I always thought it would look good with all black with gold a-arms and swingarm and rims. Or all blue like the Subaru's

rbm300ex
01-17-2007, 05:03 PM
For pipe do the HMF!!!!!!!!!!!!!:devil: :macho

312R1
01-17-2007, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by KY250r
i pulled quad apart the other day wih my buddy jarrod. we are gonna completely redo it. sandblast the frame and swingarm. then getpaint and powder coating done. put new bearings in the aarms and stuff. put a new pipe on(Paul Turner Racepipe). he loves R's he hada 310r and he wishes he never sold it. but heres a pic of my frame, and one of his z with the yoshi 440 kit in it. he has it set up like j jones! GET BETTER JEREMIAH!

Great choice of pipe..;)

KY250r
01-17-2007, 09:20 PM
thx for all the input guys. Jarrod and i had a heck of a time with the sandblaster, we kept getting clogs lol. but hey after 90% of frame was blasted after we got kinks out of blaster we ran out of sand lol. then we went to some goopy paint thinner stuff and it took a lil more off, but its enough to repaint. im going Gloss Black witha black swingarms, candy apple red motor moutns front and rear. black wheels i think maybe chrome not sure ont hat yet. polishing up my radiator shroud, nerf bars, grab bar and my bumper. i got the red plastic and blue seat. were gonna reshine plastic n all that. ill get more pics up in next day or so of the progress. hes gonna shoot frame tomm. but thanks all for the tips and comments!
Ky250r

KY250r
01-19-2007, 09:18 PM
well the paint we were usin wasnt stickin and when it hit the frame it turned clear so we junked it. it also gelled the gun up so we took paint back and got money back. then we got krylon wide spray cans in gloss black and 4 cans later shes shining and looking great! i mean paints paint right, looks just like it came out of a gun. no wwe gotta do my motor mounts, wishbone mount for rear shock and odd and end parts and shell be good as new. ill post pics up after i take some more.

Gregjy
01-20-2007, 10:41 AM
STOP........Strip the frame back down....KRYLON is **** dude... I am a painter by trade. The rattlecan will not hold up. for as much work that you already have in it dont waste your time. It will be dull in a few months. Go back to the paint store and get some single stage black and the right hardner, reducer. You will thank me honest. Sounds like you either got the wrong mix ration the first time or wrong products. Make sure you etch that frame with some etch prime first, seal it and then paint it. It will be WAY worth the extra time and money.....

Project300EX
01-20-2007, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Gregjy
STOP........Strip the frame back down....KRYLON is **** dude... I am a painter by trade. The rattlecan will not hold up. for as much work that you already have in it dont waste your time. It will be dull in a few months. Go back to the paint store and get some single stage black and the right hardner, reducer. You will thank me honest. Sounds like you either got the wrong mix ration the first time or wrong products. Make sure you etch that frame with some etch prime first, seal it and then paint it. It will be WAY worth the extra time and money.....

Krylon will be fine. My dad painted our Fourtrax racks with it about four months ago and it still looks good. It stays outside too. Unless you're going to be showing it it will be fine.

Sounds like he got a too fast of a reducer.

KY250r
01-22-2007, 01:29 PM
heres whats done so far. we hope to finish tonight.

KY250r
01-22-2007, 01:30 PM
one more.

Project300EX
01-24-2007, 04:20 PM
Looking good. Where are you in KY?

TheFontMaster
01-24-2007, 04:44 PM
I'm with Gregjy on the paint thing. Go out, and spend the extra money on a good quality etch primer, and single stage black paint. Doing it the right way the first time, and the wrong time everytime, will be that a couple months, half a year or so when your frame is dulling, and starting to scratch and chip, VS. having a coating on it that will last years under usual wear and tear. Also remember to use wax and grease remover on a part before you go to paint it.

You stripped the frame down to bare metal, Krylon does not have good, if any corrosion protection, and it'll cause your frame to rust quicker than it should.

Also you said you were gonna paint the springs, you can't. The paint won't hold up to the flexing the springs go though. They have to be powdercoated.

KY250r
01-24-2007, 06:34 PM
heres finished product

KY250r
01-24-2007, 06:35 PM
1 more. it turned out good. now were waitin on the axle and a-arms, and my new tires and wheels.

Project300EX
01-25-2007, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by TheFontMaster
I'm with Gregjy on the paint thing. Go out, and spend the extra money on a good quality etch primer, and single stage black paint. Doing it the right way the first time, and the wrong time everytime, will be that a couple months, half a year or so when your frame is dulling, and starting to scratch and chip, VS. having a coating on it that will last years under usual wear and tear. Also remember to use wax and grease remover on a part before you go to paint it.

You stripped the frame down to bare metal, Krylon does not have good, if any corrosion protection, and it'll cause your frame to rust quicker than it should.

Also you said you were gonna paint the springs, you can't. The paint won't hold up to the flexing the springs go though. They have to be powdercoated.

Actually automotive paint is brittle, hence why people get chips on their paint. Krylon is a softer paint and won't do that. I also don't know where you got that it's not corrosion resistant. The paint isn't porous, therefore water won't get below it to rust. The way a fram will rust is from cracks in the paint.

Project300EX
01-25-2007, 05:25 PM
That motor's beggine to be cleaned up. :p

So what area are you from in KY? I live in Metcalfe Co. It's between Bowling Green and Somerset.

KY250r
01-25-2007, 06:00 PM
i live in mclean county outside of hartford and beaver dam.

KY250r
01-29-2007, 07:56 PM
got it done and went riding yesterday and my chain come off and split my case below the shifter. now im out cases. its vcovered in coal mud and my hose is froze so i can wash it off yet. be glad when it thaws i really hate it to be dirty if its broke. my buddy jared and i will pull it backa part and touch stuff up again cause he ordered me some parts. i got a lonestar +1.25 swingarm, motor mounts, lowering kit, rear shock triple rate, and some cases. few other odds and ends. so ill post up pics afte that. it will prolly be set up for flat track.

250Renvy
01-29-2007, 08:37 PM
It's a hard lesson to be learned, but I gaurantee you'll never ride without a case saver on again.

Project300EX
01-30-2007, 08:36 AM
That really sucks. Hope you get it fixxed quick with minimal downtime.

KY250r
02-06-2007, 08:47 PM
with the help of chevy cruzen i got me a case. so we should have it all together by friday and ill actually take some good pics of it. im also buying some bomb squad black and white graphics.

RICKY BOBBY
02-10-2007, 05:35 AM
forget the sticker kit and get yourself new tires

KY250r
02-10-2007, 10:49 PM
heres a pic of my head that has been ported and polished. they powdercoated it black and painted the studs red. the whole motor is done like this.

KY250r
02-12-2007, 04:05 PM
well i decided to stick with the stock swingarm over the +1.25" lonestar one. i did htis cuz ill run flat track and be doing alot of mx. so thjis way ic an still jump it and not have to worry about breaking nothing but also run flat track and have traction. so im just getting my pro link powder coated black like rest of bike. im runniong the axis tripple rate and long travel linkage as well, i will jsut run a air box removal kit and run it open. im hopin for pics soon.

KY250r
02-18-2007, 05:25 PM
hres some updated pics of the build.

KY250r
02-18-2007, 05:26 PM
another one. the swingarm turned out great and so did the motor. i like the long travel better because its alot softer.

KY250r
03-05-2007, 07:12 PM
now its done, till i lower i and put swaybar on with new american racers.

KY250r
03-05-2007, 07:13 PM
'nother view

KY250r
03-05-2007, 07:14 PM
another

KY250r
03-05-2007, 07:14 PM
again

KY250r
03-05-2007, 07:15 PM
more