PDA

View Full Version : to buy new or old stage 2 hotcam

02silverpile
01-14-2007, 03:15 PM
Ok, so i think im going to install a hotcam stage 2. I have heard things about the new cam and the old cam. So im all confused. I heard the new cam is like the old stage 3, and blah blah. I also heard the new cam is in between the new and old stage 3 but you loose less low end. I dunno can some one look at my sig, and help me decide which cam to get. I have also heard of the HRC cam, but im looking for a drop in cam. Thanks.

zrpilot
01-14-2007, 06:59 PM
Unfortunately, for drop in style cams you really only have two choices that I know of. Hot Cams stage 1 or 2. They have very different power deliveries, so choose inappropriately.

Both the "old style" stage 2 and the HRC cams are not available any more.

It looks like you already have a stage 1 cam... so what are you looking for from different cam choice? It is possible there is not a lot of HP left???

400exrider707
01-15-2007, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by zrpilot
Unfortunately, for drop in style cams you really only have two choices that I know of. Hot Cams stage 1 or 2. They have very different power deliveries, so choose inappropriately.

Both the "old style" stage 2 and the HRC cams are not available any more.

It looks like you already have a stage 1 cam... so what are you looking for from different cam choice? It is possible there is not a lot of HP left???

Both the old style stage 2 and the HRC cams are available!!!

The old style stage 2 is the new stage 3... same cam
The HRC can be gotten from Laz at GT Thunder... or check out www.xrsonly.com they should be able to get it too. The HRC cam is quite expensive!!

Also the xr 400 cam is another drop in cam....

02silverpile
01-15-2007, 10:28 AM
The reason I am thinking about changing cams, is because I am looking for a little more mid to top end with out changing gearing. I dunno maybe I should change gearing first? Also, i know the stage 1 kit is only good up to the 426. So i figured if its only good to, then why not go to the correct fitting cam. Maybe im on the wrong track, and I can accomplish what im looking for with gearing. Any one have suggestions? I mostly 70% trail ride, but the other 30% I drag race, and hill climb.

GPracer2500
01-15-2007, 11:20 AM
A few years ago 1043-2 replaced 1008-2 as the stg 2 and the "Stroker" cam was released. Hotcams has since dropped the "Stroker" label and now calls that cam Stg 3. But sometimes the old stg 2 (1008-2) is called a stg 3. :confused: Some of the Hotcams "stage" labels are ambiguous. It's better to use the HC part numbers to possitively identify.

1007-1: Stage 1, always has been.
1008-2: The original stage 2. Sometimes called "old stg 2" and sometimes called stg 3. No longer being manufactured.
1043-2: The current stg 2. Replaced the 1008-2.
1051-3: The current stg 3. Use to be called the "Stroker" cam by Hotcams.

Got it? Good. ;)

cam: Intake lift; Exhaust lift; Intake duration; Exhaust duration

1007-1... .354, .354, 246, 246------Intake centerline 106, Exhaust centerline 107
1043-2... .354, .350, 254, 248.5----Intake centerline 106, Exhaust centerline 104.25
1008-2... .348, .349, 254, 254------Intake centerline 106, Exhaust centerline 107
1051-3... .358, .354, 262, 257------Intake centerline 110.5, Exhaust centerline 104.5

Those are the 4 Hotcams cams for the 400EX. It's no wonder some manufactures just stick with numbered names instead of "stages".

zrpilot
01-15-2007, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707

The HRC can be gotten from Laz at GT Thunder... or check out www.xrsonly.com they should be able to get it too. The HRC cam is quite expensive!!

GPracer and I agree the "old" stage 2 is not available.

I spoke to Laz at GT Thunder and he does not have an HRC cam, he is out of stock!

xrsonly.com does have the HRC copy cam. It is a regrind and probably not a true "drop in" cam because it is not made from iron, like the HC are. They DO NOT have the HRC cam, I called.

And yep the XR cam is available, but the specs on the XR cam make it a smaller cam then the stage 1 he currently has.

underpowered
01-16-2007, 08:52 AM

not quite. the new stroker (stage 3) cam is not the same old stage 2. look at the specs posted up by GPracer. The new stage 2 is more of an all around cam than the old stage 2. it offers more low end but still keeps most of the top end. my old stage 2 has more top end than the new one but lacks on the low end slightly.

what are you looking for in a cam? i went from a WB XC cam to my stage two hotcam. there was a world of differenceinpower delivery, but i don't know about going froma stage 1 to a new stage 2.

400exrider707
01-16-2007, 01:22 PM
Sorry I was unaware of the 4 different cams, its been a while since I did any 400ex research.

On a side note I dont see how one can say that the stage 1 is only good up until a 426. I dont understand. To me piston size shouldn't make a difference on what type of power your trying to get.... to a certain point anyway. For this example it shouldn't matter. You could run a stage 1 on a 440 if you wanted to, its just all about where you want your power. Does anyone have the PN for the HRC cam anymore? I know you can order it directly from Honda if you have the number, but beware its nearing $400.

Also ZRpilot I dont think you have your material right for the hot cams. Iron?:huh

zrpilot
01-16-2007, 05:08 PM
Does anyone have the PN for the HRC cam anymore? I know you can order it directly from Honda if you have the number, but beware its nearing $400.

Also ZRpilot I dont think you have your material right for the hot cams. Iron?:huh

400exrider707,

Part number for the HRC cam is 14000-NKK-000. If you call ServiceHonda.com they say they can't get it.

As far as material Hot Cams uses for their cams, here is an email I got from Hot Cams:

"Hi Mike,

Yes you are right, it is a cast cam made out of the same material as the stock cam. I’m not 100% sure of what the material is off the top of my head and the engineering department is closed right now. If you like I’ll ask in the morning and get back to you.

Thank you,

James Schuster

Technical Support

Hot Cams, Pivot Works, Hot Rods

515-402-8000 ext 112

515-727-2321

F-16Guy
01-17-2007, 12:06 AM
Lots of good information here. The stage thing is pretty confusing, depending on who you talk to. It was fine until they started switching the specs and calling it the same thing. Thanks for the good thread!:bandit: