PDA

View Full Version : ripped ball joint boot

kilabeez0
01-14-2007, 09:28 AM
one of my ball joints ripped it's rubber boot on the a arm. the dealer told me i cant replace it and i have to get an entire new a arm. i did some searching and it seems like there are ball joints out there that will work. can someone tell me what is involved? i already have the entire front end apart. it looks like the ball joints are pressed in, but the ones to replace it are bolts? can someone help me?

jrm03
01-14-2007, 10:04 AM
If they are stock arms you are SOL. Your only option is to purchase a new arm.

prepracing
01-14-2007, 03:00 PM
if you are working on stock 400ex a-arms you cannot replace the ball joints. Your best bet is to go to autozone and get some ball joint boots, my local store has them hanging in the miscellaneous bushings section ( I think they were for some kind of import car ) you can put grease in your old boot then slide this new boot over it and it will work fine. You may just need to put in fresh grease every so often

NacsMXer
01-14-2007, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by prepracing
if you are working on stock 400ex a-arms you cannot replace the ball joints. Your best bet is to go to autozone and get some ball joint boots, my local store has them hanging in the miscellaneous bushings section ( I think they were for some kind of import car ) you can put grease in your old boot then slide this new boot over it and it will work fine. You may just need to put in fresh grease every so often

What he said, they are polyurethane and made by Energy Suspension. They only stock two types in bright red and Autozone said they could not order the right size in black for me. If you go to Energy Suspension's website, there is a measurement chart that tells you which part # ball joint boot you need for the dimensions of your ball joint. Here's where you need to go for that: http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/tie_r.html

I recently did all that to find replacement boots for my arms. I measured the stud at the largest taper, and the bottom of the ball joint socket. I then looked up the corresponding part # and ordered them direct through Jeg's Racing. $8 a pair, and they are much higher quality since they are polyurethane :cool:

kilabeez0
01-14-2007, 08:24 PM
well how about you tell me the correct part number and save me some time :cool:

NacsMXer
01-14-2007, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by kilabeez0
well how about you tell me the correct part number and save me some time :cool:

Wish I could, but I don't have a stock 400EX arm to measure :p The set I ordered were going on aftermarket +2 arms with Laeger-style 14mm balljoints.

The best way to measure is with a set of calipers. On the link I posted, all you have to measure is "A" and "B", it is very simple.

It is better to order a slightly smaller size than what you have, that way the boot can stretch over what it needs to in order to get a good seal.

Please note that these may or may not work with stock balljoints, but for such a cheap price I think it's worth a shot
:o

kilabeez0
01-15-2007, 06:09 AM
would i have to remove the stock boot? Or am I just putting this over the ripped one? And how do I remove the stock one? I dont see any snap rings or anything, is it just pulled over the joint?

JW450R1
01-15-2007, 06:25 AM
how about u take off the boot,and take it down to your local auto. parts store and see if u can match one up....:)

kilabeez0
01-15-2007, 10:23 AM
i saw the ones at autozone this morning. they only had 2 sizes so i'm hoping one fits. so nothing holds the boot on? i should be able to pull the stock boot right off?

44oEX
01-16-2007, 10:40 AM
you can get a new ball joint from honda, like you said the a-arms are like one peice and normaly have to buy a hole new one...but they are just pressed in like you said and can be replaced...BUT there are no part numbers for the ball joint and boot, I was told by my honda dealer that they can get them, they just have to call up direct at american honda, and tell them, and they can get just the joint and boot...just more work for them so they don't tell you they can get them.

kilabeez0
01-16-2007, 02:11 PM
well i ended up ripping the boot off because i couldn't get that energy suspension boot over it. the polyurethane boot is too stiff so it wont stay in place. i have no idea how you got it to stay. ebay here i come.