PDA

View Full Version : duners/hillshooters

nlvredneck
01-13-2007, 09:18 PM
i was wondering what you guys think is the best duning/hillshooting combo paddle? i'm thinking of going to a skat-trak extrem 20x10x8 in a 6-blade.

Chin_Chilla
01-14-2007, 07:24 AM
That might just be a little too much paddle for the 400EX. I would stick with the Skat-Trak Hauler w/6 blades. The extreme's are more for big bore/cheeta banshee's and big bore/sabertooth 250R. Basically 2 stoke monsters. Even some Sand Stars would be great with your application.

CHEVYZ
01-14-2007, 09:07 AM
It depends on where you run at that determines the combo you should run. Around here we usually run taller paddles-about 21s with around 8 paddles and it works well.

atvRiDa400ex
01-14-2007, 10:35 AM
im runnin sand stars, and they are awesome:macho

CHEVYZ
01-14-2007, 10:38 AM
Looks like he already has Sandstars by his sig.:macho

atvRiDa400ex
01-14-2007, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by nlvredneck
i was wondering what you guys think is the best duning/hillshooting combo paddle? i'm thinking of going to a skat-trak extrem 20x10x8 in a 6-blade.

wow you live in north LV.

yea my mom works over there. i live by sunset station. finally someone lives in vegas with me!:devil: :macho

nlvredneck
01-14-2007, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by CHEVYZ
Looks like he already has Sandstars by his sig.:macho yeah i'm using them now but they seem to be too much paddle for the h.p. i'm thinking that a lighter tire with less paddles would work alot better?

nlvredneck
01-14-2007, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by atvRiDa400ex
wow you live in north LV.

yea my mom works over there. i live by sunset station. finally someone lives in vegas with me!:devil: :macho yep, we ride out at armagosa during the summer and at dumont during the winter. trying to find a better paddle to make her riding more enjoyable :)

atvRiDa400ex
01-14-2007, 02:26 PM
yep, we ride out at armagosa during the summer and at dumont during the winter. trying to find a better paddle to make her riding more enjoyable :)

yea i use my sandstars at dumont all of them time. they do pretty good, but like you said i know there are some nicer riding ones.

i heard the skat-trak were really nice!

GPracer2500
01-14-2007, 05:06 PM
....a better paddle to make her riding more enjoyable :)

Does the quad feel underpowered? Or is it not turning well? Is there a specific issue--or you just want to bring out the best in the quad?

IMO most all molded paddle tires are heavier than they need to be (for the majority of quads). Just too much weight in the carcass--unless you're expecting your paddles to last forever. All else being equal, a lighter tire will outperform a heavier tire (within reason). That's my opinon anyway.

I've run Sand Sharks on a 416EX (typical mods) along with other quads and they work fine. But they give up performance to a lighter tire. On a rev-happy two stroke a lighter tire really allows the engine to work better. The difference is probably less dramatic on a torquey four stroke. But a lighter tire will always be easier to spin and that usually adds up to more speed.

If cost was no object and using a high mantainence tire wasn't an issue, I'd get Sand Tires Unlimited "comp cut" Padla Brat--6 paddle, 21x12x8, .125" rims. They're pricey and not without other downsides. They'll most likely dune the best though--in my opinon. The "play cut" Brats might be a great compromise.

A Skat-Trak 6 paddle Hauler (not Extremes--to heavy) would be a good choice. A 6 or (maybe 7?) paddle Edge could be even better. Straight paddles offer the most traction per paddle--great for drag racing. But they can create understeer when snaking. Crooked paddles slide better to help you steer.

If you really want to pick "the best" tire then a tipple buff Skat-Trak might be just as good or even better than STU Brats. I don't really know for sure [shrug]. I'd bet they're both great.

BTW, Skat-Traks are available in 3 different "buffs" or weights. As the carcass gets thinner they get lighter/better but may become less durable, more expensive, and less convienient to purchase. Rocky Mountain only carries the standard (heavy) buff. :grr:

I've got some SandSharks that are junk to me so I'm going to try cutting them down myself for weight savings.

nlvredneck
01-14-2007, 06:20 PM
yeah it's way under powered. she really liked my ltz400 that was piped, eddyied, cammed, ported & 13.1 but i sold it to a friend (pissed her off) then i got my ltr and she liked it and told me she wants more power and better handling. so i bought the i-5500 suspension but motor wise unless i want to lose reliability and spend lots of money including race fuel i'm looking at a timing key, cam, and maybe a 10.1 piston (need to stay with pump fuel) so i'm going to tires. i just put a set of 20x10x8 6-blade extremes on my ltr and there AWESOME so i figured that would be a good setup for the ex. (and then maybe brats for me later ?)

GPracer2500
01-14-2007, 06:44 PM
I rode an LT-R450 with comp cut Brats last weekend at Glamis. The owner had 10psi in each tire. I had never heard of quite that much air in a paddle tire. Maybe the Brats like that much on some bikes--dunno. Whatever the case, they worked well and seemed to slide as well as anything. I would have liked to have felt what they were like at 5psi also.

A lot of what attracts me to Brats is they can had at about 10 lbs a piece. That's a lot less then almost 18lbs for a Sand Shark on a 10" rim. 20x10x8 6 paddle Haulers should come in under 15 lbs even with a std buff and .190 rims.
CHECK IT. (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=275704)