PDA

View Full Version : How long to dry graphics??

flauge
01-13-2007, 06:16 PM
How long does it take for graphics to dry when you put them on wet? Im wanting to put my monster graphics on but im supposed to go riding tommarrow afternoon.. Would a hair dryer help it dry faster??

enduro400rider
01-13-2007, 07:54 PM
yes hair dryers will help, you should have used it when you put them on, i usally put them on with soapy water and run a hair dryer over them while using a credit card to squeegy the water, very similar to tinting windows, the heat helps the graphics form to the contour of the plastic and helps evaporate the water

MO-EX-RIDER
01-13-2007, 08:14 PM
24 hrs + hair dryer will help out alot

flauge
01-13-2007, 08:19 PM
I hope its easier than window tinting.. tried it one time and it didnt work too good:scary: I might do it early in the morning, it should be alright by 1;00 or so, right?? If not i might just wait til monday...

flauge
01-13-2007, 08:20 PM
oh you said 24 hrs i might just wait til monday then

MO-EX-RIDER
01-13-2007, 08:22 PM
depends on your weather...if your going out in 20* weather i would wait...if its decent and you use the hair dryer to remove all moisture you should be good

flauge
01-13-2007, 08:31 PM
Shoot its going to be close to 80 tomarrow and monday down here in GA. might as well ride tomarrow and slap em on the next..

Ron89
01-13-2007, 09:25 PM
Make sure you squegee all the liquid out. This helps remove bubbles at the same time.

enduro400rider
01-13-2007, 09:59 PM
dont worry its alot easier than tinting, graphics are nice and thick so you can move them alot easier than tint, and its almost impossible to get a crease

flauge
01-13-2007, 11:04 PM
Thats where i had the most trouble, with the creasing. I tried to do just a front strip in my car..about 5 mins later i got p***ed and ripped it all out:mad:
So all yall use a credit card? heh . i went all out and bought some kind of tint squeegee.. guess i dont need that..:o

Ron89
01-13-2007, 11:14 PM
You need to use the right application fluid too. Window juice and Rapid Tac are a few examples. We have been applying graphics for over 20 years and once you use the right stuff it's the easiest thing in the world. Everyone talks about windex and stuff. Don't use that, just use the right stuff and it will look great.
http://www.rapidtac.com/
http://www.clearstarcorp.com/windowjuice.asp
The way we (and practically all sign companies) apply graphics is with transfer tape. Its a low stick tape that will hold the vinyl but once the vinyl dries (and all the application fluid is squegee'd out) the tape comes off really easy and your graphic is where you want it. Then if there are any bubbles ( sometimes there are) take an exacto blade and poke a hole in the center (a pin hole) and squegee the air/ application fluid out from the outside in toward the hole.

flauge
01-13-2007, 11:24 PM
ya, i heard windex is bad. Its supposed to eat up the glue, right..??
Also how about Gila? I bought that kit for the squeegee but it did come with an application solution? Would that be alright to use??

Ron89
01-14-2007, 12:16 PM
Yes, windex will eat the glue up and can curl the vinyl. I'm not too sure about the tint application fluid on vinyl. Tint and vinyl stick on different ways. Tint is more like a cling that doesnt really have glue and vinyl does. I wouldn't use it but if you have to maybe try it in a small spot and see what it does. There is a way to make your own application fluid though. My dad's friend told him how once. You take some water, add VERY LITTLE dish soap to it and VERY LITTLE alcohol to it. If you were making a half gallon, you would maybe only use a thimble full of soap. A good way to test the fluid to see if it is good is to apply your graphics and tug on the vinyl. If the graphics slide too much, then there is too much soap. They should not move a lot, only a little when you tug on them. If they don't move at all, theres not enough soap. But too much soap and it will leave a soapy residue. The alcohol is in there to make it evaporate more quickly. You only add enough to where you think it wouldn't do anything but it will. I have not tried this yet myself so I cannot give you Exact measurements or tell you how it works.