PDA

View Full Version : Broken shift lever?

JDMThoughts
01-13-2007, 03:49 PM
So I was out today after work and I started building a jump and I was riding and letting a friend ride my quad, I just get finished building the jump and I go to take my quad for a quick spin and as I am turning around I try to shift down but it felt like my foot went way to far down. I start to gun it towards the area where the jump is and I can shift up and no ones home. I look down and see the lever almost bent to the ground. so I bring it back and tell my buddy he is gonna have to meet me back at my house. So I rode home in second gear. Has anyone here broke their shift levers. I just bought the quad about 3 weeks ago and so far I have invested about 600 back into the bike to keep it going. I just feel like everytime I go out and ride something happens. Makes me not wanna ride. Just figured I would ask because this is becoming a very expensive toy. considering it is very close to stock I am just not impressed with the reliability yet.

Ncboost
01-13-2007, 04:06 PM
Is it bent or loose on the splines?

johnsls
01-13-2007, 04:10 PM
Was the shifter bent or stripped?????????
If its bent and you need a new one,, for about $50- $65 you can buy a IMS Roll Design shifter,,, "very nice"

Also keep in mind that its a 00' and you bought it USED!
Unless you really looked it over b4 u bought it you gotta expect things to break or wear down after 6 or 7 years.... RIGHT?

Honda's are reliable it you take care of them... my only suggestion it to look the bike over twice if not three times for worn parts, loose nuts & bolts.

OK I'm done...blah blah blah....

blasterandy
01-13-2007, 07:40 PM
Get a picture if you can. Yea if ur shift leaver is broken/bent that is a good thing cause now u have a reason to go buy a nice pretty one. If the little gear rod thingy is stripped well that sucks. and as johnsls you have to expect an older bike to wear out. sry i couldn't be of more help.

Pappy
01-13-2007, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by JDMThoughts
this is becoming a very expensive toy. considering it is very close to stock I am just not impressed with the reliability yet.

Looks like you bought a used quad, which can be a good or bad thing depending on how well it was maintained. Reliabilty on most machines is soley dependant on maintence.

JDMThoughts
01-14-2007, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Ncboost
Is it bent or loose on the splines?

No it broke straight off. I am holding it in my hand as we speak.

Yea I know I bought a used one, and apparently other people don't take as much care of their things like I do. I don't mind spending the money, but it really has taken me by surprise all the misfortunes I have had. The best thing I have going for me, is the compression is at 130psi. Which is close enough to spec for me not to worry about a rebuild. The place I went to today to see if they had shifters had like 45 different shifters, however none of them were for a 400EX. I was like what quad levers do you have, because as far as I am concerned I am riding one of the most popular honda atvs out there. Just wasn't sure why they didn't have a part. I should be back and running sometime during the middle of this week.

250x_kyle
01-14-2007, 09:35 PM
have someone weld it up

Unverfehrt400ex
01-15-2007, 08:45 AM
I was ridin a few weeks ago and went to downshift and the shifter was completely gone. i guess the bolt had came loose some how and the stupid thing fell off.

blown331
01-15-2007, 08:49 AM
good thing the splines aren't stripped.

also, as much as i hate to say this.. don't let anyone ride your things

it just eliminates potential problems down the road. Unless the person riding has the money to fix broken components.

My buddy rolled my atv the first time he rode it.. bent the steering stem to crap, he was a man and paid for the new one, i paid for shipping

JDMThoughts
01-15-2007, 05:01 PM
My friend offered to pay for it, or at least some of it. I wasn't gonna take his money though, the quad is aged and things like this should be expected to happen. My buddy should have his new quad in the next couple weeks.