PDA

View Full Version : 250r or 450r?

Slimyslipknot
01-13-2007, 05:10 AM
I currently have a 450R. minor mods.. getting a cam soon...

But iv been interested in some 250r's... but me being 250lbs...iv been scare dthat maybe a 250 couldnt pull me aorund like i woule like it to.. or like my 450 does...

What do you guys think?
Should i keep my 450 or get a 250r plus cash for my 450?

C-LEIGH RACING
01-13-2007, 09:57 AM
A 250R in stock form, if the engine is fresh or has good compression should do ok even though it will be carring 250 lbs.
You take a 250R that the engine has some mods & it will do alot better.
Take a 250R with a big bore kit & the cylinder ported right, it will never know you weigh 250lbs.
I dress out around 245lb & my daughters 330, Its just to much for me, but I'm 55 years old & been out of racing sence 89/90s.
Far as compairing the 250R to the 450R, sure, its going to be alot of differences between the two. One thing just for starters is the size of the engines, a 250 vrs a 450.
Its like the difference between a pickup truck with a 350 small block engine aginst one of the new desiel engine pickups, sure the desiel engine is going to perform better, its bigger.
Thats what I can understand that no body is looking at, that one word ( bigger ) for some reason is a word nobody can ever see.
Neil

RichM1983
01-13-2007, 12:53 PM
I weigh 276 lbs, yeah fat ***, and my R will move very well with me on it. Its only got an exhuast for upgrades and is still a 250cc bore.

So don't worry about your size, an R will move you around great at your weigt and dont let anyone say otherwise, I know from experience.

iamjasyn
01-13-2007, 11:31 PM
When I first got my stock cylinder ported and bored to a 261 and haulers, it took a 250lb friend of mine for quite a ride. he had a bit of respect for it when he got off. So, it depends on the tuning. 2strokes are just better at producing high hp numbers easily with much less displacement and engine parts, but bottom end is just not where it shines compared to the 450. Personally, I like the twitchy throttle far more...

4LEAFCLOVER
01-14-2007, 07:58 PM
I was wondering the same thing because I just bought a 310r from this guy on here and it has a Trinity 310 motor in it along with alot of other things done to it. Everything on the quad is aftermarket almost. I should recieve it by the end of this month. And I was wondering what to expect as far as power compared to the 450r I sold which had 13:1 JE piston, Rossier Pipe, Dyna ignition, ported/polished head, Kibblewhite springs?

iamjasyn
01-14-2007, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by 4LEAFCLOVER
I was wondering the same thing because I just bought a 310r from this guy on here and it has a Trinity 310 motor in it along with alot of other things done to it. Everything on the quad is aftermarket almost. I should recieve it by the end of this month. And I was wondering what to expect as far as power compared to the 450r I sold which had 13:1 JE piston, Rossier Pipe, Dyna ignition, ported/polished head, Kibblewhite springs?

Depends on the motor work. This is how 2strokes are. Two cylinders that look exactly alike could be COMPLETELY different.

sleepinR
01-14-2007, 10:40 PM
heres my .02....i'm about 270 lbs and i have a 250R with the mods listed below and it pulls very hard...i've ridden a few 450R's, one with a trinity 520 kit and my 250 will keep up with it no problem and can beat it in the upper gears(not off bottom of course)...if u've ever ridden 2-strokes before u konw the power delivery is something u either love or hate but i woudln't trade my 250 for a 450 any day

4LEAFCLOVER
01-14-2007, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I guess I will just have to wait and see once I get the quad. I've only ridden a 2 stroke once and it was a very funny feeling jumping off my 450r onto a 421cc Banshee. I was killing him out of the hole and for about 100yds. But it was a very short drag on hard pack dirt. I think I'm going to like this 310r. I'm only 175lbs so it should feel pretty good compared to the power I was use to feeling on my built 450r. At least I hope so!! Any idea what would be the top speed of this 310r if it's built properly?

250r4life
01-15-2007, 10:38 AM
Any idea what would be the top speed of this 310r if it's built properly?

about 117 mph...

it depends on gearing and tires... but i love how people always ask that- as if theyre constantly going to be in 5th and 6th gear...

rbm300ex
01-17-2007, 04:58 PM
go 250:devil:

Scott-300ex
01-18-2007, 05:54 PM
The 250r is something you can't really know wut it will do unless you've ridden one.

The power hits HARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its amazing and I love it. Say you race a drag yfz and it beats you, you still don't have the Snap from the yfz, and even the drag bike is faster you don't have the power hit like you do from the 250r, and thats somethin thats awsome.

I'd rather Die than see my 250r get taken away from me.

iamjasyn
01-19-2007, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Scott-300ex
The 250r is something you can't really know wut it will do unless you've ridden one.

The power hits HARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its amazing and I love it. Say you race a drag yfz and it beats you, you still don't have the Snap from the yfz, and even the drag bike is faster you don't have the power hit like you do from the 250r, and thats somethin thats awsome.

I'd rather Die than see my 250r get taken away from me.

Yea it's just a completely different feel. Single piston 4strokes just don't have the same throttle response without a lot of rework, and even then... It's just a different feel when the piston fires every revolution of the crank. The easiest and most natural application for a 450cc 4stroke is a cruiser. You kinda either love one or the other.

The 450 on steriods is fast, but again, it's more expensive, and for some just doesn't have the same thrill anyway. :ermm:

peeping TOM
01-19-2007, 01:21 PM
if u only interested in straight line top speed . then just get the baddest banshee u could build .250rs are about the handling and real nice power delivery ,, there definetily not about top speed .

4LEAFCLOVER
01-19-2007, 09:23 PM
Well I've already bought the 310r from the guy so we will just have to see if it's to my liking for speed and power compared to my old 450r. As long as it goes pretty fast I guess I will be happy. I've heard that the 250r is the Banshees arch nemisis when it comes to drags and the dunes. It must takes alot of work to make a 250r move pretty fast because I've heard they are pretty slow in stock form.
I know the Banshee is the fastest and I'm thinking maybe I should of gotten the banshee instead. We will see once I recieve this 310r and if it's not to my liking I guess I will be sinking somemore money into the motor to get it to my liking.

Slimyslipknot
01-20-2007, 11:55 AM
Well I've already bought the 310r from the guy so we will just have to see if it's to my liking for speed and power compared to my old 450r. As long as it goes pretty fast I guess I will be happy. I've heard that the 250r is the Banshees arch nemisis when it comes to drags and the dunes. It must takes alot of work to make a 250r move pretty fast because I've heard they are pretty slow in stock form.
I know the Banshee is the fastest and I'm thinking maybe I should of gotten the banshee instead. We will see once I recieve this 310r and if it's not to my liking I guess I will be sinking somemore money into the motor to get it to my liking.

Hey man tell me how the 250r compares to the 450r inlike speep,handling,trails, comfort, give me all the detail when you ride yours... that might help me..thx

4LEAFCLOVER
01-20-2007, 01:34 PM
I got you man. I should have it by the end of this month and I will let you know how it rides compared to the 450R. I know it won't have the torque that the 450R had but as long as it is as fast as my 450R was I will be happy. And of course I will be always trying to find ways to make it faster.

TWILES
01-22-2007, 05:17 PM
I've owned and raced a built 250R, hopped up Banshee, and fairly stock 500 quadracer. They were all a handfull. I bought a 04 450R in 2004 new and personally thought it sucked. I passed it onto my wife after ridding a friends with the HRC kit, FCR carb, COMPLETE Hinson clutch, 11.1 JB piston, Spark's pipe, and Vortec ignition and leaving off the complete Protrax front and rear end with the new big bottle PEP ZPS shocks, it amazed me. It was also in the $15,000 range. Now the 04/05 (i know) with the HRC kit,pipe and piston will rip. My 250R and Banshee would have left it on a track BUT its new and unlike the 250R, all the parts are still availible + its a little cheaper than a Banshee to build and reliability isn't even a factor. I'm around 250 now and the only problem I saw was that it fell off the pipe too easy and the clutch on the 450's doesn't hold up like the Banshee and 250R when you ride it like a 2-stroke. But in the end THAT set-up was as close to a 2-stroke that I think it could be without the downside.