PDA

View Full Version : Clutch and throttle cable routing

blb515
01-12-2007, 08:32 PM
Does anybody have any pictures of exactly how the clutch and throttle cables are routed? I am finishing up a rebuild and want to make sure that the cables are routed correctly.

thanks for your help!!!

Brandon

C-LEIGH RACING
01-13-2007, 10:19 AM
On a stock frame the throttle cable will leave the thum unit, go down into the wire loop mounted to the upper steering stem mount, then on to the left of the stem into a wire loop mounted on the frame cross member tube under the front of the gas tank & from that point just lays under the gas tank untill it hooks into the top of the carb.
I've seen some frames where the cable when its in the area under the gas tank they use the rubber wrap around things to hold the cable to the upper left frame rail where all the ignition wire & such are mounted.

Clutch cable, leaves the lever, down through the wire loop thats mounted to the upper steering stem mount, stays to the left of the stem & then down to a wire loop mounted to the left side down tube on the frame in front of the engine & from the wire lop to the mounting bracket on the side of the engine case.
Neil

Rich250RRacer
01-13-2007, 05:46 PM
cable does not
Originally posted by C-LEIGH RACING
On a stock frame the throttle cable will leave the thum unit, go down into the wire loop mounted to the upper steering stem mount, then on to the left of the stem into a wire loop mounted on the frame cross member tube under the front of the gas tank & from that point just lays under the gas tank untill it hooks into the top of the carb.
I've seen some frames where the cable when its in the area under the gas tank they use the rubber wrap around things to hold the cable to the upper left frame rail where all the ignition wire & such are mounted.

Clutch cable, leaves the lever, down through the wire loop thats mounted to the upper steering stem mount, stays to the left of the stem & then down to a wire loop mounted to the left side down tube on the frame in front of the engine & from the wire lop to the mounting bracket on the side of the engine case.
Neil

It does not go through the wire loop on the stem mount, that's the holder for the factory brake line. The cable does NOT go through ANY loops on the frame. Honda only shows it secured with the rubber straps on the left upper frame rail. You can download a service manual here and check the wire and cable routing if you don't believe me.

http://manuals.dqt.be/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=36

Rich250RRacer
01-13-2007, 06:02 PM
If you can't get it from there, just run the throttle cable to the left side of the stem and secure it with the rubber straps (I usually don't do this, I like to leave it free to avoid kinks and binds). The clutch cable will also run to the left side of the stem and there is a loop on the chassis for this below the gas tank (helps keep the cable away from the stock pipe), then down to the clutch arm.

Rich250RRacer
01-13-2007, 06:09 PM
These aren't the best, but may help

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid155/p557d4df33741d6278caf66bf94c7ee11/f55864ba.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid155/p5651be84abe76558464b88d8b8afa15b/f55864b5.jpg

blb515
01-13-2007, 08:51 PM
thanks for the info Neil and Rich

Brandon

C-LEIGH RACING
01-14-2007, 12:22 PM
Rich,
In the second pic, the front brake hose mount, I dont have one like that, I know thats how they come though.
The wire loop mount on mine is oval shaped about a 2 1/2" oval & bolts on in the same place. Uses one bolt on the top & one on the bottom of the stem mount. All hoses, cables go through the loop.

I guess it could be a year model difference thing, ?? dont know, both mine are 89 models.
Neil

Rich250RRacer
01-14-2007, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by C-LEIGH RACING
Rich,
In the second pic, the front brake hose mount, I dont have one like that, I know thats how they come though.
The wire loop mount on mine is oval shaped about a 2 1/2" oval & bolts on in the same place. Uses one bolt on the top & one on the bottom of the stem mount. All hoses, cables go through the loop.

I guess it could be a year model difference thing, ?? dont know, both mine are 89 models.
Neil

Somebody may have added something from another bike, I've looked at both the microfiche and the service manual just to double check myself. All years 250R's use the wire mount for the hose only, nothing else on the stem mount. 88-89 use a plastic wire grommet beside the stem mount, but this is for the front lighting harness only.