PDA

View Full Version : missing oil

nosliw
01-12-2007, 04:55 PM
well, i know i saw a thread about this a while back, but couldn't locate it on account of this website's search engine is absolutely worthless.

i changed my 400exs oil + filter before i stored it for the winter. that was 4 months ago. i go to clean the carb today to get it started and while i was letting the floatbowl fill i checked the oil.

nothing. not a bit of oil on the dipstick. put it back in, nothing.

what's up? i can't remember the answer to the first guy who asked this question.

i dont want to start it up wihtout oil, but the roads are horrible right now (snow and ice) so i dont want to go out for more oil

nothing leaked on the ground

400exc
01-13-2007, 08:56 AM
It might be all set down farther. You have to start the eingine and let it dile for 5 min. (what the manual says) and the check the dipstick with the dipstick not threaded in.

AbnMP13
01-13-2007, 09:02 AM
I was told by the dealer to start it, let it run for 2 minutes, turn it off, let it sit for two minutes, then check it with the dipstick not threaded in.

BTW, I got the same here, nothing but ice.... :(

nosliw
01-13-2007, 09:11 AM
yea i might stick a kabob spike (long skinny wood pole) down in there to see if there is any oil.

i don't know what kind of answer i was expecting. i'm just going to start it up and let it run unless i hear some funny no-oil like sounds.

another thing that should be mentioned is that the outside temperatures were no higher than 18*F

thanks for the replies

nosliw
01-13-2007, 09:12 AM
btw i can usually see oil on the dipstick even if the engine is cold. that's why this seemed so out of the ordinary for me.

blown331
01-13-2007, 09:44 AM
even when i don't ride for about a week my dipstick shows hardly any oil if any at all.

It's been in the 40 and below range here during the day and 0-teens during the night..

Fire it up, couple mins. it will have oil.. it wouldnt evaporate its just settled down in the motor/reservoir

400exc
01-13-2007, 10:28 AM
^ same thing i thought

nosliw
01-13-2007, 11:02 AM
yup, everything is fine.

had to charge the battery, i don't blame it for that; it's been sitting for a long time and it was nearly 15*F when i tried turning it over.

after 30 minutes on the charger, i pumped the gas 5 times, hit the button and on the second or third turn it fired.

400exs are awesome machines. my kfx400 has a hard time starting in this weather - and it has a choke! my honda does not. just a 42pj.

thanks guys

400exc
01-13-2007, 02:57 PM
The 400ex has a choke, its just down by the card, unless yours was taken off.

nosliw
01-13-2007, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by 400exc
The 400ex has a choke, its just down by the card, unless yours was taken off.

i took the choke off a lllooonnnggg time ago.

not a newb :D