PDA

View Full Version : Broke my chain tonight

DANVAN
01-12-2007, 04:37 PM
OK, I broke my chain tonight, I went in the woods behind my house for a quick spin, some burn-outs, some wheelies. ect, all of a sudden, nothing, after taking off that small cover in the front, I found the chain snapped, I went and bought a new one already, but before I went, I checked both sprockets, the front one shows lots of wear, I ordered the front one, they didnt have either one in stock. Is it OK to ride this weekend with a worn frt sprocket and a new chain, or am I gonna kill my $60.00 chain with a worn frt sproket? I would like to take a qiuck ride.

exrider008
01-12-2007, 04:43 PM
just wait till u get new sprokets. it will eat ur new chain and ur sprokets wont last long.
go to rockymountainatv.com and look at there Primary drive kits. thats what me and my friend use and there by far the best chain and sprokets i have evry used. my friend has had his on for 6 months now and we havent had to adjust it sence he put them on. the best part is there only 70 bucks for chain and sprokets.

4TraxRider
01-13-2007, 03:37 PM
Put your old broken chain back on for the weekend with a new masterlink.

DANVAN
01-13-2007, 09:09 PM
I should have used the old chain, it was alot of work to get the new one on, and now I just have to take it back off next week when I get the sprocket in.

The new chain is noisy, I only took it around the back yard a few times today, and every time I accelerated in was noisy right at the front sprocket area, I wonder if its because of the new chain not being worn to match the old sprocket??

Also, when I took off the plastic cover for the front sproket yesterday, there was this metal gaurd that came off with it, but now, no matter what I try I cant seem to get it back on, I only instaled the plastic cover, not sure what the metal thing is and how to fit it back in place.

exrider008
01-14-2007, 10:26 AM
the metal thing is a case saver. if ur chain snaps it will take the bolow so u dont put ur chain through ur flywheel cover. there a pain in the ***** to get on sometimes, just keep trying.

the noise it more then likely because you put a new chain with old sprokets.

DANVAN
01-14-2007, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the info.

It will be coming back apart in a few days, so Im done riding it now till then, I will work on the case save then.

Any pics on the way it supposed to go together?

Just rode today for about 20 minutes in the woods behind my house, my brother was visiting from out of state, and he always like to take a spin when he's here.

DANVAN
01-20-2007, 07:45 AM
OK, the new front sprocket is in, no more noise from the chain. I also got the case saver in.

I had ordered a new nylon chain slider, but once I got it here and tried to remove the big bolt for the rear swing arm, it wouldnt come out, the nut came off no problem, but no matter how hard I hit the bolt with a hammer, it would only move about 1/4 inch. So I decided it wasnt to worn, and I would just leave it for now. Also as I looked at the whole picture more carefully I relized that the rear shock wasnt going to make that job any easier, it would most likley need to be removed to remove the bolt and relieve some presure on the swing arm, it was just to cold in the garage to do it yesterday, most likly it will go to the dealer to have it done in the future