PDA

View Full Version : To buy or not Buy a 450r?

02silverpile
01-12-2007, 12:42 PM
OK yall, heres my story. I have what is in my signature. There isnt much left to modify. Or at least modify it for the money taken. So here is what Im thinking. Im thinking of selling my 426 and purchasing a stock 450r. I say stock because thats about all I can get for about $1000 more than what I can sell my 426 for. So I wont be able to purchase a modded one. Quad for Quad I feel that my 426 is pretty even in hp and torque with a stock 450r. I know a 450r has alot of better things like cooling, and better expansion with its mill. Im just wondering if it is really worth it to get rid of the great setup I have to get into a stock or slightly modded 450. What are some of the better reasons to jump quads? Thanks.

sandmanblue
01-12-2007, 01:03 PM
I see both 450 shocks as well as PEP suspension in your sig. What do you have for suspension? I am confused... Be specific because that's where I see some issues. A-arms? Swingarm?????

Engine wise, a stock 06/07 450R will be pumping out about 42 - 43 hp, stock but uncorked (airbox lid off, rejet, silencer core out of stock pipe). Real easy to uncork and it will rip. If yours was dyno tuned, what's it putting out?

You've done a lot to your 426, so the main reason I started asking about the suspension is because that is where a modified 400 would be better than a stock 450R.

The thing is... for an extra $1000, you could have GTThunder redo your suspension and you could add the HRC kit. Then the 400 would have a hard time competing with the R...

01-12-2007, 03:14 PM
I'd say your modded EX is gonna be signficantly better than a stock R.

For the $1,000 you;d spend on the new R, get new a-arms for the EX, and stay with it.

02silverpile
01-12-2007, 05:26 PM
The shocks are from a 450r, and were supposably re valved, and worked over from PEP. I did have it dynoed last summer from mobile dyno. The numbers were 37.6HP, and 29.2 TRQ.

250X_project
01-12-2007, 08:59 PM
How much did it coast to Dyno?

Also, to me, stock is no fun no matter how many HP. It's all about the mods for me.... Check out my signature. I could have bought a stock 400EX, but instead I worked with what I had, a 250X.

GPracer2500
01-12-2007, 09:29 PM
--What are you going to use the quad for?
--What type of riding do you do?
--Is your 426 slowing you down now?

Those are the kinds of things I'd focus on to guide your decision.

The 426 sounds like a very nice EX. If it's not holding you back very much than why spend the money to upgrade to an R? On the other hand, the R has lots more upward potential and may (depending on the year and other things) outperform the 426 right out of the box. If you're racing then a 450 is a no brainer. If your a rec rider just having fun, then there could be ample reason to keep the EX.

just $0.02

02silverpile
01-13-2007, 11:08 AM
Well basically I would say that 70% of the time I trail ride. but the other 30% I like to drag race or "hill climb". this is where i get dicouraged. I mean the 426 is a runner dont get me wrong its just that everyone in the group is going bigger ad bigger. Thats where I guess i have to justify my ego vs my $. Also i ave been debating on putting a stage 2 cam in and maybe a fuel pump accelorator ( boyeson quickshot). But once I start adding stuff the money adds up, and to do the stuff I mentioned in the first post it wouldl cost me 500 bucks, and i could get into a stock 450 for maybe another 500. BUt maybe i should look into different wider wheels, or using that other 500 for some suspension work like new springs or something to make it ride better. Because i know 500 bucks isnt going to get me extended a arms or nothing like that.

Project300EX
01-13-2007, 11:38 AM
I'd keep the 426. You've put so much money into it to make it yours. With the extra money you spend on the 450r you could just make the 426 that much better. Plus the 400 design looks a whole lot better.

Pojo450r
01-15-2007, 03:31 PM
i just traded even a 00 400ex for a 04 450 r with a pretty much trashed motor i am going to rebuild from crank up and i already love my decison

KingpinsEx
01-18-2007, 10:17 AM
I would say keep the ex and buy a yammie 426 motor to stick in it. You should be able to get one for about a grand and if you sell your ex engine that should help off-set that cost. Of course there is lots of modifications that must be done to the frame but its a cheap way to stay into the ultra competitive world of sport quads. Personally im more comfortable on the ex than a 450r anyway so this is my plan as soon as i get some extra funds, just an idea.... a stock 426 will smoke a stock or slightly modded 450R!
Only problem is you have so much invested in your engine...

30liveStar
01-18-2007, 10:44 AM
From the stories i hear about the 450's reliability issues when compared with a 400ex... I would keep what you've got. I cringe when i hear all these stories of "locked up" motors, and Electric start issues... :(

However, if you like wrenching, the 450 is definitely a performer, and it would give you something to work on occasionally (not neccesarily a bad thing)

the decision is really up to you, but think it out. I wouldnt go with the new "fad" just yet... Seems you've got a pretty solid EX set up already.

northwest Texas
01-18-2007, 06:59 PM
Back in the fall I was looking into moving up to a 450R as well. My EX was needing some top end work and it was pretty much stock except for a slip on. What to do, spend $$ on the engine or go newer (450R)?

I could swap my front shocks and handlebars but that was about it. I wasn't going to keep it stock width and by the time if I even bought used I couldn't justify the extra cost.

Mostly I trailride, don't really race anyone so my ego doesn't get too bruised.

In the end, it came down basically to maintenance for me. Some can argue but I figured in the end the easier to maintain EX engine tipped the scales for me.

That's not to say down the line I may upgrade in the future but for now, I just spend the money to pep my engine instead and am pleased.

My take is with the money being pretty limited, you might regret the stock 450R vs the modded EX. I know I would be after riding stock bikes vs mine.

01-19-2007, 07:59 AM
take it from a guy who has both....keep the 400(426)..i also have a slightly modded yfz and a modded 250r...and the modded 416ex smokes them all!!! the stock 450 is quick, but has no and i mean no torque...my yfz has the cam mod big gun pipe and jetted and the 416 still beats it by 3 bike lenghths in about a 150 yard race. it smokes the 250r that is bored, piped and carbed....now i just got back my 450r with the gt thunder 480cc kit and the hmf pipe etc etc...i also traded my stock 05 450r for a highly modded z400. and i have a yz426 hybrid that i have to put back together. and i will get the answer to my own personal question...can a modded 400ex hang with all comers? and at this point i would say yes....in fact i think the 400ex modded right is still the or one of the best all around bikes....granted i think you have to do slightly more to the 400, but you pay more for the 450's so it is offset somewhat...also maintenence is a minimum with the 400, and the parts are cheap, especially with everyone thinking they have to have a 450...just my two cents....

250X_project
01-19-2007, 09:27 AM
How many wheelers do you have? :D The EX's are easy to maintain, and parts are dirt cheap. I would stick with the 426, and would be proud of it.