PDA

View Full Version : Another rebuild problem. Stripped bolt.

Antifaith
01-12-2007, 12:10 PM
Ok this is the last thing i have to deal with before my rebuild is 100% complete. I have to adjust my chain because i went down 1 tooth on my front sprocket, and one of the 4 Allen bolts on the swingarm that you must losen to adjust the chain was totally stripped by the idiot who owned the quad before me.

My friend told me to try hammering a torx head in there. I tried that, it was a press fit but once i tried to unscrew the bolt that way, all it did enlarge the already totally stripped hole.

I tried punching a slot for a flat screwdriver to fit in there, but my punch won't go deep enough to make the screwdriver fit properly.

I also tried drilling a hole in the bolt so i could use an extractor, but my 14v MasterCrap drill and garbage Makita drill bits won't even dent the thing.

Any suggestions as to what i could do to get this sucker out? I thought of welding a nut to the screw's head so i could just put a ratchet on it and get it out, but the only welder i have access to is at school and there is no way i can bring my entire
ATV ( or even just the swingarm for that matter) to school.

Doibugu2
01-12-2007, 12:34 PM
If you have a dremel you can put a small cutting wheel on it and cut the slot for the screw driver. Sometimes those bolts can be a little tight.

You might try just putting a set of vise grips on there, there is enough head on there you might be able to get enough bite to loosen it.

tivoli410
01-12-2007, 04:24 PM
If you can get a hacksaw in there you can cut a slot too.

GPracer2500
01-12-2007, 04:44 PM
Try slotting the bolt first. Sounds like the head might be too mangled to get a good bite though. If so, then get new drill bits and a new drill if need-be.

Drill the head of the allen bolt off. To get the threaded part out, drill a hole in it and tap a small screw driver or something in it. It should turn right out. If not, add some heat. If it still won't come out you may need a purpose built extractor tool.

Antifaith
01-12-2007, 04:57 PM
Got it out. I ried vice grips and it wasn't working but it gave me an idea. I went to the store, bought a nut breaker, tightened it around the head of the bolt and then just hit the nut breaker with a hammer and the bolt slowly came out.

Thanks for the advice.