PDA

View Full Version : 250R vs. 400ex

curious george
01-12-2007, 08:49 AM
ok i am going to have between 2000-2500 dollars to buy either a 400ex or a 250R my Q is which one should i get, i love two strokes but live in the woods but there is plenty off open areas ie. feilds train tracks, lake if it ever frezzes and pits. i have owned a brand new 04' 400ex last year and had lots of money in it but got sold and i want one agian. which one should i get what one is worth it. which handels better and which one will have less maintnenc. (i already no the 400ex is maintnence free practiccly and last longer then a two strok but i am also not affraid of re doing top ends on the 250R as needed) or does it just come down to what i can get for a better de4al, these are also the only quads i am interested in. no 450R becuase the 400ex handles better and i blew away 450R's in the trails with my 400ex when i had it. so please, any advice would be appreciated. thanx

Creech52
01-12-2007, 08:55 AM
Thats like comparing apples to oranges. Its really all up to you, you've rode a 400EX, so try and ride a 250R and decide for yourself. The R is a good trail quad because stock and ones that are properly ported for woods riding have plenty of bottom end grunt, you will still have to switch riding styles because its still going to have two stroke tendencies but compared to a banshee its more trail ridable. They handle the same if not better then a 400EX. You pretty much already know what your getting into....slow, good handling 400EX with pretty much no maintinence, or a fast, great handling R that requires mixed gas and regular rebuilds....

curious george
01-12-2007, 10:09 AM
well my 400ex was faster then an R 450 and 250, not built opnes of course, but if i did an exhaust jet kit and performance reeds i should be faster then a 400ex with all my signature upgrades(read sig.) that is all i am wondering. i now how to ride both styles i was just wondering like the banshee when you hit power band the suspension gets tight and ridged and sucks at handeling, will the 250R do that as bad or at all? will i need shocks? are 450R shocks bolt on to the 350 if i grind the top of the shock down a little? all this stuff plays a part with my decision but i gusse it comes to the permanent question 2 Stroke or 4 Stroke.

iamjasyn
01-12-2007, 10:38 AM
Get a 400ex. 250R's deserve to be in top operating condition and that's going to cost you more than 2k. Stock, those two quads are like night and day. If you don't know which you want already don't waste your time on an R.

curious george
01-12-2007, 11:45 AM
oh... that si not really helpfull, i wanted help full advice not what you think i should get. the first reply was very help full. and i am going with an R. and i am only spending around 2500 becuase i plan on getting one that is mostly stock, and here in mass. that is how much they cost and i am getting an 89'.

katch26
01-12-2007, 11:55 AM
I would get the r based on one reason only....it will appreciate where as the 400 will depriciate, and two strokes are less expensive to maintain. (read not less work but costwise)

250Renvy
01-12-2007, 01:07 PM
The thing that you may not realize that if you are looking for a stock 250R - A) they are hard to find so you may not even get one B) If you find an 89 that is stock and in good condition - probably going to be $3000 - $3500 and still need a rebuild from top to bottom. Stock shocks even if hardly used are nearly garbage. They were filled with fish oil in Japan and were meant to last only a year or two. So add shocks to that and you may be up to $4000. A stock piped 250R is probably about as fast as a 400ex but will beat it off the line.

I ride 250r's in the woods and trails and tracks all the time and it is fine. Also had a 400ex and there is no comparison with the handling. A 250R is way better which is why I sold the 400. 250R's are lighter for times when you have to get turned around. 05 and up 400ex has reverse but you'll likely be int he $3500-4000 range and still be stock.

Maintenance wise a 400ex is pretty much changing oil. Cheaper to run - no mix, goes further on a tank of gas.

A 250R is way more fun to ride - even stock.

So I hope this helps you make a decision.

sandmanblue
01-12-2007, 01:25 PM
I think the biggest problem is going to be finding either one of them in decent condition for that kid of money. The 250r's are like collectors cars, the good ones keep increasing in value..... The trashed ones aren't worth buying if you actually want to ride.

If you could find a good stock '89 for less than $2500, you'd be one lucky guy!

JPhonda
01-13-2007, 03:25 PM
if i was you i would try to look for a used 400ex with an aftermaket suspension. and since you ride in the woods i would also gear it down one tooth on the front sprocket. The 250r would be nice and fun as h.ell but it might be more costly and require more of you time to maintan it. but really its up to they are both really good quads. the only thing with the 400 is its a lil underpowered and its air cooled. and the only thing with the 250 is they are about 20 years old now and its a 2 stroke so its going to require more to maintan. i love my 400 for the woods because you can keep in in low rpms for the turns and then give it gas and the power is right there. with two strokes you have to rev them higher.

450rJam
01-13-2007, 10:52 PM
for your price range you may want to do some looking and buy the best one for the money.

either will make a great toy with years of fun (w/maint.)

I would look for the best deal you can find
like others have said, for 2500 you will be hard pressed to find
a clean r, but you may find a average 400ex with a few goodies.