PDA

View Full Version : best aftermarket frame?

Jerry Prokop
01-11-2007, 09:19 PM
In your opinion who makes the best frame, and type of frame (ex narrow)and if there are better frames for different purposes(ex dunes,mx,xc)please state there purpose I have a LRD aluminum no link and love it, but it is the only aftermarket frame I have ever rode on. Just trying to make a post for anyone who is looking to buy a frame so they can make a more educated decision. Thanks for the help.

matt250r21
01-11-2007, 09:51 PM
I have had both Laegers and Walsh. Both are nice MX frames. Roll Design also made a nice MX frame. All 3 are top notch, in my opinion those 3 are well above everything else out there.

Rich250RRacer
01-11-2007, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Jerry Prokop
In your opinion who makes the best frame, and type of frame (ex narrow)and if there are better frames for different purposes(ex dunes,mx,xc)please state there purpose I have a LRD aluminum no link and love it, but it is the only aftermarket frame I have ever rode on. Just trying to make a post for anyone who is looking to buy a frame so they can make a more educated decision. Thanks for the help.

The LRD looks really trick, but I've heard alot of people say they are prone to cracking. Laeger seems to be the most durable with great fitting of original components, plus the Pro-trax makes it handle like no other. Downfall to the Laeger was long wait times to get a new chassis (when they were making them). CR500 link set-up on the rear was probably the best out there. I have alot of experience with Lonestar, overall good stuff but a few problems. Earlier chassis', 01 and older, had alot of fitment issues (it would take awhile to list them all), 02 and newer were very high quality, stock components fit well. The fully adustable a-arms are hard to beat. It can be time consuming, but you can taylor the front end to your type of riding. The Lonestar swingarms are the weak link, they crack frequently. I run a Laeger swingarm now, after busting up two Lonestars. I don't know much about Arens, but I know they were quite a bit cheaper than Laeger or Lonestar. Most guys I've talked to don't have many complaints, but the Arens looks like it will have mounting issues. I've never owned a Roll Design, from what I've seen, they are the Cadillac of aftermarket 250R chassis', but that comes at a very high price.

deathman53
01-12-2007, 06:30 AM
I don't think that walsh, roll, or leagers sells a frame anymore. I know leagers stopped selling a pro-trak front end. Lrd doesn't sell the aluminuim chassis anymore also. You only choices now are lsr and aerens. Walsh does sell a frame for ktm520/525 and I believe crf450r. Jrd also sells a chassis too, what is nice about their frame is that you can use 250r, yz400-450f, crf450r, and some have told me a 350x motor with the change of engine mounts that bolt on. I have seen 2 jrd frames, one had a crf motor another a yz450f.

mxracer97
01-12-2007, 06:44 AM
I have got an Arens frame that has held up great to 3 years of mx racing. The only fitment issues I had were with the pipe/silencer, other than that everything fit fine. I do think the Roll Design chassis was built extremely well but was also very pricey.