PDA

View Full Version : oil cooler out of a tranny cooler

enduro400rider
01-11-2007, 08:17 PM
i found a transmission cooler at pep-boys that is 12x5x1/2 i got to thinking that it is about the perfect size for my 300ex to put in the middle of the frame similar to the 400ex cooler set up, i was planning to cut the copper oil line from the bottom end to the top end and just feed the oil from the bottom end through the cooler up to the top end, has anyone tried this? im just afraid it wont have enough pressure and not make it to the top and fry the cam. im putting a 12:1 piston and it already has a cam so i could really use a cooler, since this is a woods bike and will sit at idle for periods of time not long but cooling a motor never hurt. i dont want to buy a cooler from a company because im basically custom building this bike out of basically junk parts from other bikes.

bwamos
01-12-2007, 06:25 AM
Will work fine.

That's exactly how my FST Oil cooler hooks up. Plenty of pressure.

If you think about it.. the amount of rise is no different, it jsut takes a longer route getting there, so no extra pressure is really needed outside of the minute pressure drop from the extra bends.

Also the $100 ATV oil coolers are nothing more than repackaged tranny coolers anyway ;).

F-16Guy
01-12-2007, 10:12 PM
This is what you want:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=prm-1008
This includes the cooler, oil hose, fittings, clamps, and other hardware. The only thing I had to do is go to Home Depot and buy some expanded metal for a grill ($8), and go to Checker Auto Parts for a universal transmission cooler mount kit ($5). Here is the result:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid212/p43392a2bbe0e012056ff5f68addee751/ed623142.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid196/p2931137c0a8e27111cf9c1604cae15bd/f11a05e6.jpg

pimpin330ex
01-15-2007, 09:05 AM
how easy is it to install the fst oil cooler and does it give you directions? also how do you order from fst? over the phone? thanks

bwamos
01-15-2007, 10:00 AM
Easy to install.
When I got mine.. it had minimal instructions (mainly how to cut the copper line and connect), and a big bag of misc parts and fittings for multiple applications.

I like that setup above. I wonder how those plastic mounts will hold up over time. As light as the cooler is it will probably hold up fine.

F-16Guy
01-17-2007, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
...I like that setup above. I wonder how those plastic mounts will hold up over time. As light as the cooler is it will probably hold up fine.
Still holding strong [fingers crossed].
enduro400rider: I missed the part about you piecing this thing together. I don't see why it would be a problem, it should work really well. The only problem I could think of is finding a mounting location, but I don't own a 300ex, so I guess you'd know more than me.:confused:

pimpin330ex
01-17-2007, 05:20 PM
i just ordered that summit racing one f 16 guy can you give me some more pictures on how to install it and maybe some details thanks

enduro400rider
01-17-2007, 05:52 PM
i got mine from autozone, its like a 9x4.5 its a little big but i fabed up some mounts, and it should fit just fine, ill get pics of mine when i accually mount it to the frame, right now its pretty cold out and i dont feel like being in the cold garage, since its so long its cocked to one side, to allow extra room for the lines to plug in, i have it mounted in the same spot as a stock 400ex cooler, only this is all on a 300 frame