PDA

View Full Version : Do i need a rev-limiter?? or wrong jets.

kineo3
09-23-2002, 10:39 AM
I just installed a Pro-circuit t-4 slip on and I still use the stock air filter and air box. I live at about 700 feet of elevation. I put every jet from a 155 to 165 in and it seems to cut out at wot. It runs strong all the way up to that point. I thought originally I was just running rich but with the 155 the plug was very white and still cutting out at top end. I was wondering how I can tell if I am possibly hitting the rev-limiter? I am stummped and getting frustrated.

Razorback
09-23-2002, 11:48 AM
sounds like you're hitting the rev limiter. that's how it will act. could be something else, but that's what it sounds like to me.

tprender
09-23-2002, 12:04 PM
It sounds like the 12 pack is having to much effect on the engine. Maybe using that lever by your left foot more would help.

MeatHead
09-23-2002, 02:03 PM
I had a similar problem on my 300EX. After I put on my WB e-series, k&n, and rejetted the carb. It would pull hard and then start cutting out. It never did that with the stock exhaust. But my mechanic rode it and he said it is fine, it is just the rev limiter. His response was you gotta relearn the way it feels now, and shift before the rev limiter. It is a strange feeling when you hit the rev. limiter for the first time. You swear it is running like $hi7, but it is actually running better than it ever did, now that it can flow enough fuel air through the engine to hit the rev limiter. It was explained to me that if it was the jets, it would start to cut out as soon as you hit WOT. But since it pulls hard all the way to a certain RPM then cuts out, instead of as soon as you give it WOT, it is most likely the rev limiter. Hope this helps.

zephead400ex
09-23-2002, 03:13 PM
Im with meathead. After I installed my WB-E Series Pro Meg system on my 400, it would be hard up until wot and it would cut out, If I would shift up it would pull hard again until wot and it would cut out again...its just hitting the rev limiter. Just gotta learn the machine again...after that...go out and kick some *ss!

bansheeguy77
09-23-2002, 03:20 PM
white plug is very bad :eek: means ur jetting is way off and its running 2 hot

kineo3
09-24-2002, 06:04 AM
Does an after market rev-limiter make much of a difference or is it a waste of money?