PDA

View Full Version : Who has the 5.5 gallon Clarke gas tank

rumme
01-11-2007, 06:43 PM
If anyone has this on their 400ex, please tell me if it hampers the steering any...as far as not allowing the handle bars to make hard right or left turns

79400ex
01-12-2007, 11:29 AM
I have one. THe stock steering will clear if I rember wright. However, if you use a after market stock steering stem in length it won't clear. I run a Houser 1+ stem and clears easly.

oldskoolex400
01-12-2007, 05:17 PM
i have a houser +1 chrome stem i would let go for a good price

400man
11-13-2009, 12:03 AM
I have a clarke 5.5 gallon tank. my stock steering stem is bent slightly to the right, and the handlebar would barely rub the tank when I turned right all the way. but to fix that I just had to scoot my handelbars to the left like a 1/8th inch.

ive not had my tank but just a few days, but today I decided to fill it up all the way and try it out in my trails. and whoa momma :huh , it handeled a whole lot worse then when I just had like 2 gallons or less in it. the thing felt like it didnt have no power out riding across the field, hard as heck to pull a power wheelie, and in the trails the front end would push so much in the corners that a few times I complety over shot a turn :eek: lol . but it did feel alot better on the hill climbs, the front end would stay down and I could just set back and let er eat. I got stock front shocks, so maybe thats why it acted like that, idk.

so I guess maybe its best to not fill it all the way up enless your going on an all day riding trip somewhere and not stoping for gas till the end of the day.

bigbad400
11-13-2009, 08:40 AM
stiffening up the front shocks some will help that. (maybe not on stock shocks) your experiencing brake dive, the front dives in on hard corners and braking and it will only do it worse with extra weight. but and this is a big but.... 5.5 gallons of gas is only 16lbs heavier than the stock 2.6 gallons, and thats not much unless your mx racer then your wouldnt need extra gas. handling shouldnt be altered to much by 16 lbs. i think you were just experiencing ****ty shocks, i added 25 lbs to mine to test for this tank with a backpack strapped on the tank and i had no problems at all, i increased the ride height about a 1/4 inch in the front and had no problems at all. maybe adding a pound or 2 to your front tires might help too. but its only 16 lbs.

400man
11-13-2009, 10:12 AM
well, I guess I may come out with it, I actually have a old pair of 250r shocks on it. and I put my 400ex shocks on my 250r with +1 a-arms because made it ride alot better than with the 250r shocks. the 400ex shocks are like a half inch longer than the R shocks and a little stiffer too. so right now my 400 has the front a little lower than normal, which makes it handel like crap. im keeping an eye out on ebay for shocks. would really like to get a pair of HLS shocks

Lonestar_R
11-13-2009, 10:47 AM
I have a Clarke Tank also witha stock stem and its fine. I have a trail tech clamp and it all works fine