PDA

View Full Version : Solid performing upgrades

Hotshoe18
01-11-2007, 06:41 PM
I currently have a 250ex but am moving up to a 400ex within the next few weeks. I'm more than likely getting an 05 but could possibly get an 06. I was wondering what the first upgrades that would give me somewhat of a base to build upon as I get used to the bike and am ready for more performance. Iv been thinking about some holeshots maby and a good exhaust system (Curtis Sparks is my choice so far) and possibly some minor engine modifications. I realy just want to know what I should do to get a healthy power increase without cutting down on reliability. If you have any opinions, please post them. Thanks in ahead.:)

blasterandy
01-11-2007, 07:27 PM
If you are planning on going highly modded with the engine. Get the CS exhaust. But for a good base a hmf slip-on will bring out the most for ur money. Also suspension mods. I would go do some minor engine ie pipe and filter then jets. Then spend some money on suspension.:D
just my .02 by the way most everyone will tell you to go with the hmf and i can see why it gives it much better power everywhere

hondaracer57
01-11-2007, 09:21 PM
i would go with a hot cam stage 1 or 2 depending on what u want. get a slip on like an HMF or if u got the money get a full CS...get a UNI or K&N filter..also if the quad has been rode alot get a new timing chain if has low HRs dont worry bout it now...id get the 450r carb that seems like a awsome mod but it takes some work too put on..maybe a higher commpression piston the highest i would go is 11:1 so u can run pump gas...and for suspension i would get 450r front shocks the 400ex rear shock is good enough...but it all depends on where u ride like trail ridin,hill climbin, MX, flattrack,dunes? theres diff set ups for all of these and im sure ppl on here can tell u what to get down to the T if u tell us where and how u ride..........

northwest Texas
01-12-2007, 07:48 AM
Chassis first then motor. Unless all you do is drag race your buddies on flat ground, then go to the motor.

I promise you will not regret not touching the engine until you've replaced to stock shocks. You'll go faster down the trails with good suspension and a slow engine than having a fast engine and stock suspension. And you'll ride faster longer and not tire out either. And you'll have more fun.

01-12-2007, 08:22 AM
Add a Stage 2 hotcam with a 10:1 compression piston and a 416 overbore to the mods below, and that's my recommendation.

01-12-2007, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by northwest Texas

I promise you will not regret not touching the engine until you've replaced to stock shocks. You'll go faster down the trails with good suspension and a slow engine than having a fast engine and stock suspension. And you'll ride faster longer and not tire out either. And you'll have more fun.

Well said.

People think its all about the motor.

Yer better off getting suspension squared away first.

My mods (below) came to $1,000 for a pretty decent performing shock setup.

And you can DEFINITELY tell the difference.

Hotshoe18
01-12-2007, 02:18 PM
Thanks for all the ideas. In case you were wondering about any of these questions, the quad will be new in crate, I mostly ride in my pasture and have a track built with a few small to medium jumps and turns ranging to flat sweepers to high banked hairpins built on land with nice, soft dirt so the tires are gripped up hard most of the time. If anyone has more suggestions now that I have specified a fwe things, I would like to hear them. Also I noticed a few were talking about HMF. Compared to a CS full system, what will a HMF slip-on do to the powerband. Thanks

flauge
01-12-2007, 05:16 PM
From what i heard, HMF more on bottom to mid and CS adds mid to top.
Also since you said it'll be brand new in box, I'd prolly just do filter, pipe, stg 1 hotcam, and 450r carb. You should notice a good gain doing this, unless you want to go down inside a brand new motor then yea a 416 w/a stg2 hotcam would be awsome..
Dont forget about suspension either...
;)

HondaSkidoo
01-12-2007, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by garandman
Well said.

People think its all about the motor.

Yer better off getting suspension squared away first.

My mods (below) came to $1,000 for a pretty decent performing shock setup.

And you can DEFINITELY tell the difference.

What do you guys recommend to change on the suspension? I do mostly trail riding. Thanks

flauge
01-12-2007, 10:45 PM
The gt thunder rear link and shock revalve will help a lot with the bucking whenever you go over bumps and what not.. Beleive me, it'll ride a whole lot smoother.. Im not too sure on the fronts tho. But ive heard good things about the revalved 450r shocks from gtthunder..

01-12-2007, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by HondaSkidoo
What do you guys recommend to change on the suspension? I do mostly trail riding. Thanks

I got 450R shox and had them revalved and resprung by GT Thunder for my ride weight and style. I also got the rear stock shock revalved and resprung by GT Thunder.

Cost: $1,000 total

Another $600 got me +1 a arms.

GT Thunder - class shop. Fast service too.

Some of teh top GNCC guys send their stuff their.

01-12-2007, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by flauge
The gt thunder rear link and shock revalve will help a lot with the bucking whenever you go over bumps and what not.. Beleive me, it'll ride a whole lot smoother.. Im not too sure on the fronts tho. But ive heard good things about the revalved 450r shocks from gtthunder..

It REALLY helped on the front shox, to the point it showed how bad teh stock rear was. I'm looking forward to seeing how the rear goes.

It also dropped my rear seat height well over an inch - maybe close to 2".

flauge
01-12-2007, 11:46 PM
Ya, mine dropped down maybe about 2" also, with just the link.... I've got to revalve the rear some time b/c i bottomed it out the other day on a jump. I should have aready done it but i kept on buying other things:devil: ..Im really waiting on finding a good set of 450 shocks for cheap on ebay, then i'll send em and the rear out ....
Its kind of the opposite for me garandman, the fronts are the weak point for me now, i even find myself sitting more towards the rear of the quad now when i go across the ruff stuff just so i dont feel a lot of that jarring in the front..:scary: