PDA

View Full Version : Valvoline 2-Stroke Oil....any good?

opdmize
01-11-2007, 06:10 PM
I was picking up something at Autozone and I noticed Valvoline 2 Stroke Oil for $2.99/Qt (thats 32 ounces). Doing the math, compared to Amsoil Dominator or Golden Spectro, that comes out to ~ $1.20 per 5 gallon jug of gas if you run it at a mix ration of 50:1. Amsoil and golden spectro come out to 4-6 bucks per 5 gallons @ a 50:1 ratio! I noticed it is TCW3 certified and it is SOOOOOOOOO cheap compared to a lot of the major oils I am almost tempted to try it...but then again...

C-LEIGH RACING
01-11-2007, 07:23 PM
Does it say on the bottle what ratio the oil is. Some regular 2 stroke oils have a ratio you mix it at, different thickness.
If that bottle has pics on the label of a boat & chain saw or lawn mower, I wouldnt run it, the chemicals in the oils not right for your atv engine.
If you want to run a regular petroleum oil, Honda Suzuki & Yamaha has a oil like that. Honda brand is GN 2 & sells for 3.75 a qt.

You could probably run the Valvoline oil, but not at the 50:1 ratio, maybe 32:1 & it wont burn as clean, more deposits on the piston, exhaust port & in the pipe.
Neil

86 Quad R
01-11-2007, 08:31 PM
agree'd ..... i personally couldnt bring myself to run that type of oil in such a performance machine. i think its best left to the weed whackers and buzz saws.

opdmize
01-11-2007, 08:47 PM
I seem to remember there being a graphical chart on the back showing ratios such as 20:1, 32:1 and 50:1, I cannot say for sure but I seem to remember it going all the way to 100:1. That makes me feel like it would be fine, but what do I know and I would hate to blow a top end just from trying to save a few bucks on oil. On the other side of the coin, I would hate to find out that all my life I've been paying too much for oil and this would do the same job for less $$.

250r4life
01-11-2007, 11:25 PM
i have a cousin in law that runs some cheap brand of two stroke oil in his 2000 banshee... that is all he has ever ran... im trying to remember what it is, but i dont remember the exact... i just remember seeing him mixing it, and i was like "what the heck is that?" he said it works great for him- smokes a little, but other than that it is just fine...

like i said- he bought the banshee new in 2000, probably makes close to 10 dune trips a year on it, and does quite a bit of riding besides the dunes as well... he finally put a new top end in it this summer, as his rings had disintegrated.