PDA

View Full Version : ishock

TrapZ400
01-11-2007, 02:56 PM
I was looking on there site and I saw there i5500 Complete Front Suspension System and i was wondering how long the travel is on the shocks? I am thinking about getting this setup and would I have to get a wider axle to match the front? What size would I get?

pudamac12
01-11-2007, 05:16 PM
Personally I would go with a better setup then this. The arms are good but I have seen a lot of the shocks blowout. Now I know everyone will say that they have great customer service but I would rather not have to deal with them in the first place. If you check around there are a lot cheaper alternatives that will give you better components to boot.

TrapZ400
01-11-2007, 05:29 PM
I thought they would be good because everything you need to setup the front end is in there.

What would be a better setup?

TBD
01-11-2007, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by pudamac12
Personally I would go with a better setup then this. The arms are good but I have seen a lot of the shocks blowout. Now I know everyone will say that they have great customer service but I would rather not have to deal with them in the first place. If you check around there are a lot cheaper alternatives that will give you better components to boot.

Have you really seen a lot of the ishocks shocks blown out? I really doubt that. I personally have put a massive amount of miles on these shocks and have yet to see one blow out.

Yes you would need a wider axle so that the wieght is distributed correctly.

TrapZ400
01-11-2007, 06:16 PM
How do they handle big jumps and how are they in the corners?

TBD what axle do you have?

TBD
01-11-2007, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by TrapZ400
How do they handle big jumps and how are they in the corners?
The i5500 kit is more geared for the entry level and also so the arms will work with the stock shocks so it won't have quite the same characteristics as the new LT set up that will soon be available. Because they are wider they will offer better stability and cornering. As for big jumps they will work just fine but again you can get a better cushier ride by going with the LT set up.

TrapZ400
01-11-2007, 06:23 PM
When will the LT setup be available?

TBD
01-11-2007, 06:27 PM
When will the LT setup be available?
Hopefully in the next couple of months.

TrapZ400
01-11-2007, 06:29 PM
If I get the LT setup would I need to get a better rear shock or will it be ok?

TBD
01-11-2007, 06:41 PM
If I get the LT setup would I need to get a better rear shock or will it be ok?
I would suggest that you do something with the rear shock whether it be to get the stocker redone are to get a new one. Ishocks rears should also be available very soon.

TrapZ400
01-11-2007, 06:43 PM
alright cool thanks for your help

400exrider707
01-11-2007, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by TBD
The i5500 kit is more geared for the entry level and also so the arms will work with the stock shocks so it won't have quite the same characteristics as the new LT set up that will soon be available. Because they are wider they will offer better stability and cornering. As for big jumps they will work just fine but again you can get a better cushier ride by going with the LT set up.

Explain how LT is going to be any cushier than ST, also Ishock is currently already doing stock rebuilds on rear shocks.

TBD
01-12-2007, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Explain how LT is going to be any cushier than ST, also Ishock is currently already doing stock rebuilds on rear shocks.
There are several reasons that the LT (Shock shaft travel, not wheel travel) frontends work a little better then the ST frontends. First off because there is more shock shaft travel the shaft speed is greater making it easier to valve the shock as well as it not bieng as noticeable if the shock valving is off. The shock shaft speed also helps make the valving much more efficient biengs that valving is only velocity sensetive. The other thing it helps with is using more of the springs (except for ZPS set ups). By having more shock travel the springs will be able to be set up to be softer at ride hieght but still have enough spring force to help control bottoming.
Yes I know that ishock has been doing rear shock rebuilds for awhile.

400exrider707
01-12-2007, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by TBD
There are several reasons that the LT (Shock shaft travel, not wheel travel) frontends work a little better then the ST frontends. First off because there is more shock shaft travel the shaft speed is greater making it easier to valve the shock as well as it not bieng as noticeable if the shock valving is off. The shock shaft speed also helps make the valving much more efficient biengs that valving is only velocity sensetive. The other thing it helps with is using more of the springs (except for ZPS set ups). By having more shock travel the springs will be able to be set up to be softer at ride hieght but still have enough spring force to help control bottoming.
Yes I know that ishock has been doing rear shock rebuilds for awhile.

I still dont see how it can be set up and "cushier" You still have the same wheel travel more or less than an aftermarket ST set up, unless your running pro-trax. The longer shaft travel allows it to be tuned easier I agree, but I dont see how it can be set up and "cushier"

TBD
01-12-2007, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
I still dont see how it can be set up and "cushier" You still have the same wheel travel more or less than an aftermarket ST set up, unless your running pro-trax. The longer shaft travel allows it to be tuned easier I agree, but I dont see how it can be set up and "cushier"

I'm not saying that there is a huge difference. In fact we have been doing a lot of work with ST systems and have been able to make them work almost as well as the LT systems. One other difference that I forgot to mention has to do with the arm builder. If the shock mount is placed correctly you not only reduce the motion ratio but you can also increase the leverage curve meaning that as the suspension goes from extended to compressed you can achieve a higher progression percentage (leverage curve). By doing that you can valve and spring the shock to be very soft or cushy at ride hieght but because you have created a higher rising rate you will still have more then enough bottoming resistance.