PDA

View Full Version : Question on hotcams stage 2 changes?

tencentsshy
01-11-2007, 01:05 PM
I was wondering when hotcams changed their stage 2 cams for the 400ex. I have read on here thet the current stage 2 is a new grind from hotcams, but the old stage 2 is what they now call the stage 3. My question is when did this change occur, and is the new stage three what people are calling the stroker cam? The reason I am asking is because my friend have basically the same motors. 415 JE 12:1, ported head, lightened flywheel, timing advance key, and stage 2 hotcam. The only differences are that mine has 1mm oversized ferrea valves, milled head w/ xr400 head gasket, fmf powerbomb head pipe, +6 sparks key vs. his magnum +4, and that my stage was purchased near the end of 2003/ beginning of 2004, and his was purchased at the end of 2005. So do I have the new stage 3, and he has the new stage 2? His has more low end and pulls all the way to the stock rev limiter, but mine lacks the torque, and pulls slightly harder on top end to the 1200 over white brothers rev limiter. Is it the cam that makes mine have less torque, the 1mm exhaust valves, or the combination of both? So that's my question. Which one do I have? And should I look for something better for my motor? I already have shortened valve guides, and HD springs. Should I look into the 479 web, or would the 450/451 web be better? I mostly mostly mx at local tracks, but do love to go drag racing. Sorry for the long post, just looking for some answers I couldn't get by just using the search feature. Any answers would be appreciated. Thanks.

tencentsshy
01-14-2007, 09:50 PM
bump

bigH
01-14-2007, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by tencentsshy
I was wondering when hotcams changed their stage 2 cams for the 400ex. I have read on here thet the current stage 2 is a new grind from hotcams, but the old stage 2 is what they now call the stage 3. My question is when did this change occur, and is the new stage three what people are calling the stroker cam? The reason I am asking is because my friend have basically the same motors. 415 JE 12:1, ported head, lightened flywheel, timing advance key, and stage 2 hotcam. The only differences are that mine has 1mm oversized ferrea valves, milled head w/ xr400 head gasket, fmf powerbomb head pipe, +6 sparks key vs. his magnum +4, and that my stage was purchased near the end of 2003/ beginning of 2004, and his was purchased at the end of 2005. So do I have the new stage 3, and he has the new stage 2? His has more low end and pulls all the way to the stock rev limiter, but mine lacks the torque, and pulls slightly harder on top end to the 1200 over white brothers rev limiter. Is it the cam that makes mine have less torque, the 1mm exhaust valves, or the combination of both? So that's my question. Which one do I have? And should I look for something better for my motor? I already have shortened valve guides, and HD springs. Should I look into the 479 web, or would the 450/451 web be better? I mostly mostly mx at local tracks, but do love to go drag racing. Sorry for the long post, just looking for some answers I couldn't get by just using the search feature. Any answers would be appreciated. Thanks.

how does ur bike compare 2 slightly modded 450's in a drag race

tencentsshy
01-15-2007, 06:29 PM
I have only had the motor put together for three weeks now, and havn't really had a chance to have it drag racing yet. If it dries up any at all this weekend we are all going to a friends track, and we normally drag race in this open field. There will be a slightly modified banshee, the other 400ex in this post I was talking about, a 2004 450R with a stage 2 hotcam, a high comp. piston, and full system exhaust, and me on my 400ex. If we drag race I will let you know the number of bike lengths between us all. We normally switch bikes around each rider, so I might have a good average too.