PDA

View Full Version : Curits Sparks adv. key

stvemerz
01-11-2007, 12:23 PM
Well...I plan on putting a Curtis sparks adv. timing key on my new 2007 400ex...I have yet to even ride it yet...I read the article on this webpage....Do I have to use an impact gun to remove the flywheel bolt....If not...how would I take it off with a rachet or impact bar....I do not have an impact gun...would and electric one work for me?

cgndhhh
01-11-2007, 12:45 PM
you can use the electric if its got enough torque to pop the flywheel off if not you can use a ratchet and a long pipe to break it lose like I did. the impact gun makes it a ton easier because you dont need extra hands holding the flywheel from spinning the crank while you try to take it off(i had to have my brother with a crescent wrench hold the flywheel in place while i took the flywheel bolt off, skinned one of his knuckles pretty good :)

stvemerz
01-11-2007, 12:49 PM
I had a feeling the impact would be the best way to do this...I see and electric one at Harbor Freight which has 150 ft lbs...that should do it...I hope...I think to install the bolt back..torque spec. is 94 ft lbs....I hope that this modification is worth it....I'm new to this...

cgndhhh
01-11-2007, 12:56 PM
if you have a harbor freight around your area i would prob. suggest going directly to the store. i've heard lots of reviews from the online store not having items avail. and customers not getting their stuff for about 4 wks. just what i've heard and read up on though might not be the case with you. I was in the market for an impact gun also from harbor freight. if you have a decent compressor check this one out its got 250ft. lbs

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=53176

one i was gonna get but my compressor sucks.

stvemerz
01-14-2007, 01:13 PM
I just wanted to let everyone know..I was able to losen the flywheel bolt with a breaker bar socket and remove the flywheel with the same setup...Guys...it was way easier then I thought...no banged up hands or parts...Puting it all back together was just as easy...Thanks for everyones help..