View Full Version : HID Light

baseballplaya23
01-11-2007, 10:55 AM
Would i be able to hook up a HID light system on my quad as a headlight. All it needs power and a ground to work. Would it just fluxuate with the brightness as the rpms go up and down?

soda7o
01-11-2007, 10:58 AM
i dont knwo but if you figure out that you can and need real deal HIDs i got sets form Audis, BMWs, Accuras, and Lexus...
:) ( bulb, balast, projectors)

lee37vernon
01-11-2007, 11:10 AM
no , it needs a battery . so unless you float the ground , add a dc regulator and rectifier , and install a battery like i have , then no . not unless you buy there helmet hid battery pack and just take it off to charge it .

D Bergstrom
01-11-2007, 12:07 PM
A TRX250R has AC power. To run a HID light you need to convert that to DC power. For My HID's to work, I had to add a Regulator/Rectifier and a small battery pack. Unless your HID light is equipped with the Regulator/Rectifier, I doubt it will work. Also, the HID does not dim and fluctuate with RPM. Say if you have a 35 watt HID, your quad haas to put out 35 watts at all rpms, if the output falls to 34 watts, the light turns off, just the way it works. That is the reason for the battery, if the wattage drops (say at idle) the light can draw off the battery for the extra power.

Doug

Peter Faber
12-24-2007, 05:18 PM
Bergstrom, Did you float the stator ground and convert the entire system to DC or just add a rectifier and battery and keep it isolated from the stock AC system?

-Peter

D Bergstrom
12-24-2007, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Peter Faber
Bergstrom, Did you float the stator ground and convert the entire system to DC or just add a rectifier and battery and keep it isolated from the stock AC system?

-Peter

I got rid of all the stock wiring for the stock lights. Cut up the harness and removed everything that had to do with the lights. I got a new wire harness that included the regulator/rectifier and battery for the HID lights from Baja Designs, the only stock connection it used was the one to the light output on the stator. If you look in this link:

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=309507&highlight=lights

You will see where I attached the wiring schematic that came with the lights. (It is on the second page.) Any other questions, let me know.

Doug

regg187
12-26-2007, 10:56 AM
Bergstrom beat me to it Baja designes has some nice kits, and I think Ricky Stator also has some.

Has any one used HID's yet, how much better is the lighting, I'm guessing night and day, I have a R.S. 200 watt stator and light bar with 2 6in PIAA's (1 driving, 1 pencil beam) and it does make good light , but there is always room for improvement.

D Bergstrom
12-26-2007, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by regg187
Has any one used HID's yet, how much better is the lighting, I'm guessing night and day, I have a R.S. 200 watt stator and light bar with 2 6in PIAA's (1 driving, 1 pencil beam) and it does make good light , but there is always room for improvement.

Before I had quads, I had a Baja Designs dual 8" halogen set up for my CR500. Had a 100 watt bulb in the pencil beam, and a 55 watt bulb in the driving light. My dual 8" HID pencil/driving setup blows the halogen setup away. No comparison. I really do not think there is any room for improvement with the HID's, they really are that good, expensive, but good!

Doug

regg187
12-27-2007, 07:57 PM
Thanks , that is pretty much what I had figured, the HID's in my Mothers Escalade are fantastic , so I'm sure BAJA's are too!!!
I love night riding so I better start saving for a pair.

[R]iders!KB
02-20-2008, 03:35 PM
ya u can put an HID on a quad my friend did its insanely bright