PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it?

Goody7
01-11-2007, 09:19 AM
Just picked up a 02 stock Raptor. I want to start racing MX and GNCC. IS the 660 competitive with the 450's and worth modyfing to be more MX compatable or shoulld I cut my losses and buy a 450???????:ermm:

p.s. PLEASE dont turn this into a pissing contest, because I am going to be invest a lot of money into this.

250r4life
01-11-2007, 09:34 AM
cut your losses and buy a 450...

bradley300
01-11-2007, 09:41 AM
unless you just like being different. my geuss is once both are equally set up, you wont be any faster on one than the other. and unless you absolute hate lugging the motor around, your probably going to like the power characteristcs of the raptor better at least to start with

Goody7
01-11-2007, 10:00 AM
It sounds like it is split from other threads!?!?!? That when the 660 is fully modied out, they can do just fine on the track... Does anyone on here actually MX the 660 and if so how do you do agianst 450's?????

250r4life
01-11-2007, 10:36 AM
youre going to have to do a lot of mods to the engine and to the suspension just to be equal to the 450... and then youre still going to have a big heavy machine...

Flynbryan19
01-11-2007, 11:06 AM
You can certainly be competative. Its just a question of how much money you want to pour into it and your intentions.

It will be cheaper and easier to use a 450. Mod for mod a 450 will be a better quad.

But, if you just want to be different and plain and simple like the Raptor..... Go for it. They can be competative, you'll just have to put much more money into it to be on the same level as a 450 with much less money into it.

XCRacer236
01-22-2007, 12:55 PM
Cut your losses and buy a 450. Find a real nice, pretty much new one. About a year old. You'll by way happier, way lighter.

raptor zak
01-22-2007, 02:06 PM
i would definately get the yfz. my uncle has one and the 660 cant touch it, trails, mx, or anything.

Flynbryan19
01-22-2007, 02:29 PM
Also, take into consideration though that your going to have to BUY the 450 before you can even start modding it. If you have to sell the Raptor for less then you bought it for, then your even more in the hole. Just do what you feel is right. Many of the kids on here are gonna tell you to go buy the latest and greatest because its not thier money your spending.

450rJam
01-26-2007, 02:50 PM
spoken like a z400 rider.

if you dont have one slam it, if you do its the best thing ?

the 660 was not built to race, the 450's are.

not saying $$ cant change that but your trying to make orange juice with an apple.

if your brand loyal get a yfz, (the other 450's are good too)

ride one and you choose.

Glenyzracer25
01-26-2007, 11:32 PM
as far as track use you really need a 450, they just handle much better. Power on both quads is about the same just a different kind of power. it will take 3X the work and money to be competetive on the track with a modded 450.

tater_kamik
01-27-2007, 03:36 PM
there is nothing wrong with owning an raptor and racing with one. i chose the raptor for a platform to build on because i love the motor and i do some mx and harescrambles. i knew that it would take very little to make the quad into what i wanted and i was right. way i see it, i was going to throw an axle and a arms on it no matter what. that got rid of the tippy feeling. with that new suspension, that got rid of the crap suspension. from there, not too much to complain about, and its comfortable to ride for long periods. either way you go, you will have a good quad. just use what you are comfortable with and modify as you go. i love my quad and my choice but i also enjoy other quads as well, but that doesnt mean im going to take that dive into another project quad thats a 450 (although i almost did)

DieselBoy
02-07-2007, 02:27 PM
450 = manufactured to race/be high output machine
660 = trail/play machine.

***note distinct difference

you can race one you just arent going to be on a fully bred race machine, it's that simple.

if u serious about racing you shouldve bought a 450 from the get go.....................................

02-08-2007, 11:31 AM
they did make a thing called a 250r :D

B-ran
02-08-2007, 06:28 PM
the raptor is anamazing machine. if you are worried about weight like some people seem to be. the dry weight diffarance is a whole 50 lbs. wow. I just did my motor for like a grand and would put it up aginst any 450 out there.

MadDog56
02-08-2007, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by B-ran
the raptor is anamazing machine. if you are worried about weight like some people seem to be. the dry weight diffarance is a whole 50 lbs. wow. I just did my motor for like a grand and would put it up aginst any 450 out there.

Weight, handling, suspension, etc...

Do yourself a favor and get a 450 if you're going to race. If all you're going to do is enter a race to play, use what you've got.

250r4life
02-08-2007, 11:05 PM

we are not talking drags- we are talking mx... unless youve got some serious suspension mods- i would have no problem going up against you on the track..

dont get me wrong- the raptor is a great bike- just not for mx...

250r4life
02-08-2007, 11:07 PM

50lbs? and that isnt a lot? you would be surprised what difference 50 lbs makes...

B-ran
02-09-2007, 12:49 AM
If you are looking for a quad to race, and have to do the least amount of mods forget the raptor, forget the yfz 450, buck up and take a look at the suzuki ltr 450. they are low, wide, and it takes very little to make it incredably fast. I love my raptor and would put it up aginst any 450 out there, but the others are right you do have to do heavy mods. forsure I'd take a look at the suzuki though.

if you really want to keep the raptor and race all the time look at doing front suspension, rear shock and axle, and some motor work

tater_kamik
02-09-2007, 09:46 AM
stock i completely agree. the raptor doesnt have the parts the 450 class is coming with stock unfortunately. but most likely if you are going to be serious about mx, you will probably be changing a lot of those parts anyways. 50 lbs is a lot. i would have to agree that the ltr is probably the best bet for an stock mx machine for sure. but all of the 450's and raptor can be a good platform to build on

gobi42
02-11-2007, 04:21 PM
Raptor vs. 450, on an mx corse; either way your going to have to do the supsion and rear alxe; with the raptor your going to have to do some engige work; but the weight differance isn't that big of a deal when it comes to racing it's mostly the rider and the riders style; some like thier bikes torquey and some like them to scream but either way when it comes to mx your going to need bottom end; so u could re-gear it put a cdi box on it and a pipe (without baffles; improves low end power), and do the supsion and just ride; if you test a 450 and like it better go for it; but just pick the one that feels right for you