PDA

View Full Version : scatterd motor

alf44
01-10-2007, 10:48 PM
So i blew up my 440 motor. I think im just going to find a used stock motor for my 02 400ex, since my wife bought me a brand new banshee for xmas. Shes so cool. Can i use the stage 2 hot cam in a stock motor without any major mods. How about the jetting should i leave it the same if i use this cam? This will now be my wifes bike everything is staying the same except the motor.

4TraxRider
01-12-2007, 02:57 PM
I beleive with the stage 2 cam and stock compression you will end up loosing a lot of torqe and low end hp with only a slightly noticable increase on top. That's what hot-cam's told me 4 of 5 years ago when I was looking for a set of cams for my old EX. Ended up getting a stage one with a je 10.8.1 piston and loved it.

450rJam
01-14-2007, 06:41 AM
part out the old motor, leave the wifes stock so you dont have to work on it (a stock 400ex motor is bullet proof and will last forever with out mods)

alf44
01-14-2007, 10:13 AM
Y a thats probably what im going to do. I just didnt want to waste that cam if i can use it. Her bike is already piped and jetted air cleaner and rev box. I just wasnt sure if it would help with no engine mods. Thanks

1shooter
01-14-2007, 10:50 AM
get a heavy duty stud kit installed. Rejet the carb go 11;1 compression get a heavy duty cam chain and the motor is bullet proof yet.

When you go higher compression the headstays studs can't handle it. GT thunder sells em for $60.

You allready have the cam.

Make sure the studs and cam chain are heavy duty.

And make sure you check your valves after a couple of hours or riding or less.

Yeah bigger is better. i would go 416 on it though.

Keeping it stock is ok but more power is more power.

alf44
01-14-2007, 11:05 AM
well the motor i toasted was a 440 so im sure the chain and stuff had already been upgraded. I was just hoping i could salvage some internal parts. This thing was wasted. Hole in piston metal welded to spark plug, and the head was hammered, broke two valves i did a good job on it.

1shooter
01-14-2007, 11:11 AM
sounds like the timing chain was junk

most people try to do it as cheap as possible.

Not the best of course.

timing chain is $50

gasket kit $60

piston is $110

new valves are $100

bore is $40

cam is (free for you)

headstay are $60 ($24 $30 to install)

it sounds like the timing chain went really.

It was out of time and the piston kept on working

as long as you didn't do any damage to the head redo it

buying new used is someone elses problem.

You might get a good one.

You will have a good $800 maybe $600 into the new motor.

It will be fresh though

maybe buy a new cylinder so you can go to a 416 cheaper and better than pressing in a new sleeve

alf44
01-14-2007, 11:20 AM
ya the head was pretty hammered. I thought about buying a new cylinder and head,valves etc. but ive been shopping around and found several newer used motors for under 800. Simpler and easier to install. I guess i just need to decide. Thanks for the info.

1shooter
01-14-2007, 11:25 AM
whatever you left that is good

put it on the auction block

it'll sell.

The only problem with buying used is

The cases are not transparent and you can't see inside.

when you rebuild fresh you know whats going on.