PDA

View Full Version : rode my atc250r 1st time

tx_250r
01-10-2007, 09:35 PM
i just rode my 85 atc250r this weekend for the first time! i rode it once down th street when i first got it just to go thru all the gears and check everything but since then its been in the garage getting new stuff. i got all black plastics, black bars, fmf pipe, k&n carb from trx250r 86 w/ jet kit, new chain and sprockets w/ saver. any way i raced w/ my bros 450r raced about 115 yards and it was close at that distance he beat me out of the hole but w/ a slight rolling start for both of us it was a tie! the 250 was cool i never rode one but the front was way to light and was hard to keep it down. i just order a +8" chromoly swinger off ebay and next i'm adding a jansen super coil and getting it ready for my esr 310... just a good reason to build a 350 for the trx!!! any advice i would like to drag but also want to take it thru the trails... posible?????

86 Quad R
01-11-2007, 06:55 AM
lol not with a +8 on there. at least not in the trails we ride around here.

iamjasyn
01-11-2007, 11:40 AM
Beating a 450 on a stock cyl shouldn't be hard if want to keep cost and vibration down. +8 swinger will make that thing a straight liner... :ermm:

deathman53
01-11-2007, 01:15 PM
I advise against a +8 swinger, I have a +1 swinger on my bike and its noticably harder to turn/more body english. Also you will need to revalve the shock for the much bigger swinger. A +4 is the biggest I would go. I have 310pv, 39 pwk, cr igntion and rad valve, 1/2 spacer, pt hi-rev pipe, +1 swinger and suited chasis mods to fit the motor. Its not that hard to keep the front end down, you just have to sit all the way up on the gas tank and push down on the bars. I was gonna build one w/ a cr500 motor, but the +4 minimuim swinger would handicap me too much for mx rding. If you want to go straight, the +8 swinger is great. If you ride on trails/mx, a +4 at the very most. With a +8 your turning radias is much bigger. I have ridden a bike with a +4 and it was very noticable. Take this from a guy who regularly rides a ver modified atc250r and rides mx with it.

tx_250r
01-11-2007, 05:14 PM
damn i hate to hear that i already bought it off ebay! i do work at a fab shop and could shorten it if i have to. i will use it mostly to race just for fun but to get to there i have to go thu the trails. if i were to shorten the swinger do i shorten between the shock mount and the bearing carrier?? or would the shock mount need to be moved?

GPracer2500
01-11-2007, 05:21 PM
My 85 has a +2 swinger and a +4 axle. Seems to be a good combination for duning [shrugs]--never ridden anything else. It's a stock swinger that's been cut and rewelded. It was done between the carrier and the shock mount. The shock mount was not altered.

ATC250Rs are sweet. :D

3leggeddog
01-11-2007, 05:25 PM
i agree a +8 is too much.i ride a +3.5 on my atc500r,and it's perfect.the 500 is my everyday bike so i wanted to keep it as short as possible.i don't really notice it beng harder to turn,but i know it's hard to snkae around tight woods.i rode this 500 with a tock length 250r swinger for about a month.i drag raced a few bikes and still smoked em,but iit was a crazy ride.on my mx 250r i run a +2.thats plenty for a worked stock cylinder r.glad to see you got a trike,they are great fun.check out 3wheelerworld.com if you already haven't,it's a great site.have fun man

tx_250r
01-11-2007, 06:25 PM
yeah i thought about buying a oem swinger off ebay then cutting them and making one extended one but i figured it would be heavy. i'll probaly try the +8 before i go and shorten it at least just to know what its like. also looks like i'll be looking for a drag pipe before too long:D

86 Quad R
01-11-2007, 08:25 PM
just a thought but, may i suggest that you keep the +8 swinger as it is and get another. either a oem that you can extend to +3 or an after market that is already at the desired length. ya could always re-coupe your money back out of the +8 or save it if ya decide to go all out drag. :cool:

tx_250r
01-12-2007, 08:34 PM
damn thats all i need to hear is keep it and buy another lol.... i might do that though! this this was bought just to have one and to play around with and ride on the muddy days when i did not want to take my trx out... but now i keep dumping cash in it:D by summer it will be stretched, polished, powder coated, and have my esr310 #9 on it.

3leggeddog
01-14-2007, 10:14 AM
i got a oem atc swinger i just extended to a +2.i'll let'r go cheap if your interested