PDA

View Full Version : How do you remove the 'gas tank cover'?

idro
01-10-2007, 08:14 PM
I had to do some carb work on my atv this past weekend and couldnt figure out how to get the gas tank plastic off of my ATV.

Does anyone know how to take this off? I found the 10MM bolts on the bottom and removed them, but the cover just wouldnt come off. I really didnt want to man handle it that much and break it.

Are there any tips for removing this? Because it would have really helped me out being able to take off the gas tank and gas tank plastics somehow.

If you guys know of any write ups with pics or any suggestions, that would be appreciated...

Chin_Chilla
01-10-2007, 09:35 PM
Well this is for the old model 400EX, but its prolly the same on the new ones also. The gas tank cover has 4 little 'claw' or clips per say, 2 per side, that enable it to hook onto the plastics to the left and right of it. After you take out the 2 10mm bolts, you then push down on the gas tank cover slightly, and pull it towards you, as if you were sittin on the seat. The little clips should come right out. If you need some pics, just ask I'll post some, I have a stock gas tank cover laying around that I can show you what I mean by 'clips'. Good luck.

idro
01-11-2007, 03:33 PM
hmmm i wouldnt call them claws, but on the black part of the top of my gas tank it does have 4 things on each end to hold them.

Looks kind of like a plastic nail. I tried pushing down and kind of squeezing it together but no go. I'm just afraid ill break this crap, i know from my 300 every sappling i hit seemed to break the plastic. :(

fastyz85
01-11-2007, 04:57 PM
no, don't push down.lol all you have to do is take a flathead screwdriver and pry the tab up.then the rest of the clip should come out.then just repeat for the other clips.like chin_chilla said this is for the older ex's but it should work on the newer ones too.