PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Mod?

GlamisPredator
01-10-2007, 06:49 PM
I bought my Predator (03) from my friend. He put a Pure Polaris slip-on silencer. It's definetly better than stock but I was thinking about taking out the baffle plate. Any comments concerning performance, sound, alternatives, etc. would be great. Thanks

davedirt
01-13-2007, 09:34 PM
my 05 le comes with that white brothers pipe with that super trap style spark arester.I take the last baffel off time to time.It gives it a bit more tork at the low end but it is real loud.I put back in if we are going to a ohv park and in the summer....fire right

450rJam
01-13-2007, 10:25 PM
intakes are really restricted stock,
do a search (I think some preds are running like civic parts for intake)

dont raz me............
someone on here will know what im talking about

tldPREDATORboy
01-14-2007, 11:12 AM
whatevr you do dont get the civic intake.it allows way to muck dirt and paricles to get into ur engine.if u whant a cheap mod take of ur airbox lid and wrap it in panty hose.

smokinwrench
01-14-2007, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by tldPREDATORboy
if u whant a cheap mod take of ur airbox lid and wrap it in panty hose.

Don't do that! The intake lid has to be on for the filter to work.

450rJam
01-14-2007, 11:41 AM
smokenwrench, I have a 450 but im not telling everyone its the
best atv for them.

shoot, if everyone sold their preds and got 450r's I wouldnt be so far out in front of them lol.

j/k

your sign off just made me laugh.

PolarisRider06
01-14-2007, 01:04 PM
the civic intake is a good mod its just that its a really bad idea to use the filters that come with them because they SUCK, its not the intake that lets the dirt in its the filter, throw a good UNI or Twin Air filter on the end of it with an outerwears prefilter and you'll be golden, just order one of their universal fit filters from dennis kirk that has the right size end on it to clamp onto the intake

450rJam
01-14-2007, 01:21 PM
I knew one of you polaris guys would know what I was talking about.............

heck, just put an outerwears on the end to keep out mud/water

smokinwrench
01-14-2007, 01:46 PM
I know the intake stinks. I have a HSP on mine.

I need to race a harescramble with you 450rjam. I have never had a 450r outrun me. I see your in Kansas also. Do you plan on racing the St. Valentines Massacre at Jeeps in Wichita.

450rJam
01-14-2007, 02:39 PM
I dont have time to hit the race tracks but if your up around osawatomie we can take them out and see what we got

tldPREDATORboy
01-14-2007, 11:05 PM
if ur really into the civic intake look up a guy on here called wolffie.hell tell u all about it

wolffie
01-15-2007, 09:56 AM
yeah and i'll tell ya the Civic is not the best way to go, lol:D i did that a year or so ago and yeah the low to mid range power was great, that particular air filter is NOT designed to be used in dusty or dirty conditions. dirt gets in through the carb making an abrassive surface on your valves which causes them to wear down prematurely. $150 later to replace them, you are better off just spending the money to get a decent intake to begin with.

im no performance expert, but i have come to the consensus that the best intake mods for the pred (and most quads in general) are manufactures bolt ons. for the pred i personally would reccomend the rath intake on www.rathracing.com ($120) it hooks on to the end of the intake boot and sits in your box (similiar to the civic). i have been runnin that for the past 4 months or in MX tracks, sand type environments, and muddy muddy harescramble courses. i run the foam filter version. NO it does NOT make as much power, but in general the gauze style filters (EX: K@N) tend to allow more dirt particles in the engine. i dont want to start a war here, but that is my personal opinion from my experiences.

the other intake i would look into is the Nicholas twin air intake (also foam) on www.nicholascycle.com (i think $100) that intake hooks directly onto the carb.

the drop in K@N pretty much does NOTHING in my opinion. the only benefits you get with it are you can reuse it rather than just replacing your stock one.

Puzzled
01-15-2007, 08:19 PM
HPD Twin filter and outerwear for about $42. (http://www.hpd-inc.com/Predator.html)