PDA

View Full Version : stock sprocket hub removal?

CSR400EX
01-10-2007, 05:27 PM
i am wondering if anyone has ever had one off before, and if so how would i go about doing it

swva400ex
01-10-2007, 06:26 PM
it doesnt come off it is pressed on. i guess you could press it off but you would probably tear something up.i messed one up trying it off a 300ex

Pipeless416
01-10-2007, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by swva400ex
it doesnt come off it is pressed on. i guess you could press it off but you would probably tear something up.i messed one up trying it off a 300ex

its not pressed on, it just gets stuck since the axle lock nut holds it tight for so long. if you have the axle out, stand it up on the brake disk side and use a rubber mallet to pound the sprocket hub towards the ground. once the hub slides down about half an inch it will expose a ring that can be removed with a very small flathead screwdriver. the ring will open up and slide towards the left side of the axle and the hub will also slide that way.

CSR400EX
01-10-2007, 07:00 PM
i thought possibly thats how it came off pipeless, but i had it in a press, and all it did was cause a headache:grr:

i will try tomorrow when i go back to our shop and i will get it off somehow

CSR400EX
01-11-2007, 11:24 AM
this thing is being a pain in the you know what, i have beat on that hub with a steel hammer for almost 2 hours now and it just doesn't wanna move a millimeter:grr:

any other suggestions???

Pipeless416
01-11-2007, 12:16 PM
possibly try to spray into the splines with pb blaster and let it sit overnight. if that doesnt work then my only other guess would be trying to heat up the hub? let us know how it goes.

svahle
01-11-2007, 04:08 PM
I have always understood that the sprocket hub WAS pressed onto the axle. If I'm right, I think you will need to have it pressed off. I have searched this issue before on this forum and everything I found indicates the sprocket hub is infact pressed onto the axle. Of course I could have missed threads stating otherwise. Not trying to start a disagreement, just trying to help. :p

Why do you need to remove the sprocket hub? Unless its damaged I guess I can't figure out a reason to remove it.

ImplodedMindZ
01-11-2007, 04:45 PM
I always thought it was pressed on too. In the parts break down of service honda and all the other part sites i look @ it shows no snap ring there. :ermm:

CSR400EX
01-11-2007, 05:12 PM
i have a lonestar +4 axle that needs a sprocket hub, and i bent my stock one somehow. so i figured that i could take the hub off my stock axle and put it on the lonestar.

Pipeless416
01-11-2007, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by ImplodedMindZ
I always thought it was pressed on too. In the parts break down of service honda and all the other part sites i look @ it shows no snap ring there. :ermm:

thats really weird.. mine will wiggle around freely if the axle lock nut isnt holding the axle in. it can be slid back by hand to show the ring. however, the hub is held tight when the lock nut is tight.. im confused. :confused: i wish i had a close up of that area when i had everything apart last week.. theres another ring just like #11 on my sprocket hub side.

CSR400EX
01-12-2007, 10:08 AM
i think it is just stuck on there, because i took apart a friends 03 400EX last nite to be sure and his came off very easily. i just went ahead and had a lonestar hub shipped overnight and hopefully i can race the big indoor event tomorrow