PDA

View Full Version : gncc/trail set up

thumpinex
01-10-2007, 03:49 PM
ok so i was thinking about getting a 450r bc i here they ride so much better. i was wondering what set up would be good for my 400ex to make it better for gncc or harsh trails. im kinda on a buget for the next few months so id like any help i can get. im looking at aprox $1000 give or take a few 100. i was looking at shocks and a arms. i left the atv stock for the reliability and love my bike. was wondering if u thought it was worth keeping and modding some or just waiting and getting the 450r(like in 6 mo) thx

Joe400ex
01-10-2007, 04:48 PM
I would say save up and go with a 450r. I would of got one but i didnt bcuz i already had to much money in my 400ex and dont really ride as much as i wish:( . But i will deff get a 450r next. Hope it helped.

Joe400ex:devil:

JDMThoughts
01-10-2007, 04:49 PM
I think the 450R is a great bike, but I think the 400EX is probably one of the best trail bikes around. I believe the 450R is more of a race inspired bike. You can gain a lot from changing your front shocks out for 450R units, and get them revalved. and finding a better a arm setup will definitely make a vast improvement. I say keep your 400EX and put some more money into it.

thumpinex
01-10-2007, 05:02 PM
thx i might as well keep the 400 and do some stuff for a change lmao....i dont really raide as much as i want bc i had to leave my atv at my fathers when i moved out and most nights i wanna ride i dont wanna have to drive out and back lol........

so i think ima get some shocks(what brands u guys like?) and i hope it will make my ride nicer......im kinda heavy for it and im tring to get fit again..riding was my workout lol....

oh!and will adding a full exhaust make a huge difference? both in reliability and power?

BigFish
01-10-2007, 05:12 PM
Pretty much any kind of aftermarket shocks that are set up for your weight and riding style will be 100x better than stock. Get any kind of aftermarket shocks for the front and send your rear to C&D, GT thunder, or DeRisi to get it rebuilt and set up for u.

If you're stock, a slip-on, filter, and jetting will allow the quad to breath better, giving u a noticable power gain. As for reliability, I would not see it being affected

thumpinex
01-10-2007, 05:23 PM
cool thanx what kinda exhaust do u rec i was thinking lrd or hmf but not sure lol

BigFish
01-10-2007, 05:29 PM
all u are going to get are opinions on here. U will notice a gain w/ any reputable exhaust. Get whatever u like.

thumpinex
01-10-2007, 05:35 PM
ight thx

jokester
01-10-2007, 08:29 PM
IMO for an exhaust I would go with one of the reputable companies like: white bros, hmf, pro circuit, and there are a few others, but I can't think of any of the company names at the moment.....

MO-EX-RIDER
01-11-2007, 05:33 AM
if its paid for KEEP IT!! as for mods look into what was said....revalve rear shock, aftermarket fronts, and a slip-on(i like hmf) also flexx bars, a good set of tires and a prm skid plate! if you look at used parts $1100 could buy all these parts

thumpinex
01-12-2007, 01:24 PM
i just got off the phone with my bud and he has a set of ohlins piggybacks on his z400 and they look like there in good shape no leaks and almost no wear.......what u think these r worth? i decided to get an hmf slipon and i hear u have to take off the air box lid!was wondering if anyone has had any probs with water or dust and if i leave it on can i get the same power out of it?

and thanks for the replies :)

blasterandy
01-12-2007, 03:25 PM
No, you don't have to take the airbox lid off. I really don't like the way it sounds. With an hmf with quiet core in, Out you really can't hear anything other than the bike. Yes there is a good chance you will get water in asuming you ride in water. If you are bad with maintaining yur bike then don't take it off you have to clean the filter more often. Keep in mind what u put in you won't get back out. I try and buy bikes that are a little rough around the edges but could be cleaned up then you can regain some money. I bought a 400ex for 2800 stock. then i added all the mods in my sig. in about 4 months. A few people have offered 3k. Anyways the point is the way the bike looks really helps resale value. My vote is to put the money towards the 400ex.

01-12-2007, 03:29 PM
For $1600 I put +1 a arms and 450R front shocks and the stock rear shock all revalved / resprung and set up for my weight and ride style.

iflyhigh122
01-23-2007, 03:08 PM
I wanna do the hairscrambles and the local MX tracks and with the mods I already have I think Suspension is all i need... So suggestions... I was going to look at the elkas but people are complaining about set-up out of the factory and the fox's tend to fade fast some owners said so...TCS, AXIS, Works? Any ideas????

krt400ex
01-23-2007, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by jokester
IMO for an exhaust I would go with one of the reputable companies like: white bros, hmf, pro circuit, and there are a few others, but I can't think of any of the company names at the moment.....

yosh, sparks, 2brothers, fmf, drd, and more