PDA

View Full Version : October mountain, MA

trxridr
01-10-2007, 03:42 PM
has anyone gone here. me and some of my friends were thinking of going up there but we want to know what it is. does it have jumps or a track or is it all trails. also what do you need to go there. are there fees and i heard something about a registration or something

also if there re any rules that are important that would be great.

Manch Vegas
01-10-2007, 06:12 PM
would be intrested to know myself. I've never even heard of it!

fwm416ex
01-13-2007, 04:59 PM
No track,no jumps.just deep woods trails,mostly rough wet and muddy.40 miles or so of trails that are more suitable for four wheel drive atv's and dirt bikes.With that being said i ride my 400ex there all the time and love it! Agressive 22" 6 ply tires and skidplates are a must.You also have to be registered in mass,they check
Other places in mass are pittsfield state forest,tolland,beartown all located along the route 7 corridor of the berkshire mountains
This place is like black licorice,you either love it or hate it
I LIKE IT,it is challenging

Here is a picture of a downhill section of roaring brook trail

hardcoreclown33
01-17-2007, 04:54 AM
yeah i used to go there alot i was part of a club neatv its alot of fun challenging if you want to ride fast ull get u rbutt handed to you thats why i love riding up there i used to go up there to stay in shape 4x4s are nice up there but ive always rocked a sport quad 22" tires are def nice but ive ran 20's skid plates are a definit must unless u want to ruin ur quad all the trail areas out there in the berkshires are awsome i recomend goin out there once you do ull wanna go back

flip73
01-17-2007, 05:46 AM
It's a pretty good spot, but like the others said - it's rocky...22's and skid plates will make it a lot easier. I have a banshee and get up there a couple times a year. Been on 20's and 22's - it's a big difference. You should look into Pittsfield State Forest - IMO it's the best of the Western MA legal parks. Gotta be MA registered too. I'm pretty sure the parks are closed for ATV's now too. (I think they are open May - Nov...could be wrong though).

Vertical Smile
01-17-2007, 09:17 AM
How's Pittsfield State Forest?
I'm so sick of rocky trails, I'm looking for trails a little smoother.
I know this is New England but damn my Quad takes a beating.

fwm416ex
01-17-2007, 07:19 PM
This is the best of all the state forest,the balance rock side of the trail is reasonably smooth. 10 or so miles of medium smooth faster stuff,the rest off the trail is progressively rougher and wet and rocky,although passable on a sport bike.Here is a picture of balance rock

Vertical Smile
01-18-2007, 04:56 AM
Too bad azzclowns had to spray paint crap all over it. :grr:

trxridr
01-22-2007, 06:25 PM
im just wondering

has anyone tried to push that thing over ???

loc0gring0
01-22-2007, 08:51 PM
i go 2 pittsfield state park a hell of a lot. yea we had a group of 10 of us and that rock aint moving.. i dont rock skid plates or 22's and ive been fine.. theres a step *** hill climb that not many people have made it.. i was the first 1 this past year 2 make it on my z400

MTDman11
03-29-2008, 08:33 PM
i got a few spots legal some not. mainly north easter mass tho, finally another mass rider!

Groveland Ma north east about 5 mins from nh there are 2 main spots , powerlines were the cops dont care usually and some were they always go out, i ride were they dont really care do a google earth of salem street and lok around for a sand pit in the woods and trails my main spot.

in Georgetown Ma (next town over) there is a little spot not worth traveling 2 on mohawk circle like 1 mile total of little loops i made but they are wide. also on mill street some powerlines with a small pit

Haverhill Ma (next to groveland) google earth Brandy Brow road or sometin like that. SAND PITS GALORE. tons of trails and pits all linked together very noticble on google earth.

western Ma!!!

i just bought into a new camp ground in Royalston. we owna bout 500 acres of trails were they just let the public ride on but there are also trails everywhere. winchendon is next town over and there is a spot with like 5 sand pits or so were lifted trucks drive in with there quads, u can ride in im sure. not to sure of this but i know good riding in royalston and winchendon looking to the 08 season my first time riding there. happy riding if i think of some new spots ill add, throw in some spots i can check out.

im almost 100% sure its legal out here in winchendon / royalston and its right on the line of fitswilliam(spelling?) NH with legal riding there.

happy riding!

400ex#18
04-02-2008, 11:14 PM
I am from pittsfield, and lived pretty much on october mountain, there are hundreds of miles of trails there, and anything from high speed 6th gear wide open to tight technical rocky areas, and rocky, wet mud boggs too. If you stay on the fire road and take it to the top from the lenox side, you get to a spot where they call it 4 corners, and heading to the right there you hit washington mountain, and a lot of really goo trails there! do NOT ride alone, and you won't need anything to ride there as far as registration or anything! no one will go up there to check or to make sure you have registration either. i used to ride from almost the N.Y. border never being registered, down the rail road tracks through a place where every motocross person around there rides called east street pits, down a couple roads, and through a park to october, from the bottom of october to four corners thought the trails takes a good hour to four corners, unless ur fast than about maybe 30 min. You head right cut around a few gates and out another way. Easily can ride a good 5 hours there without hitting the same spots. Lots of good views, and a few resevoirs but dont get caught swimming in the first one.

MTDman11
04-03-2008, 12:55 PM
i hate registering with MA. the states just gets money off it. in maine, every single penny goes into maintaining the trails.