PDA

View Full Version : Did a little paddle tire testing...

GPracer2500
01-10-2007, 02:27 PM
Did a little paddle tire testing last weekend at Glamis. Had two different 250rs. Compared 20x11x10 8 paddle Sand Sharks on .160 rims against 20x10x8 6 paddle Haulers on .190 rims.

Sandsharks wieghed 17lbs 11oz each.
Haulers weighed 14lbs and ??oz each.

The Haulers were vastly superior on either bike. On the slower bike it struggled to pull fourth gear up Oldsmobile hill. It would take an awsome run through the woops and a light rider to pull fourth. With the Haulers it easily pulled fourth. Much faster. On the faster bike the difference was even more dramatic. It was pulling 5th up olds on the Haulers and just generally kicking ***.

The difference in snap and engine responsiveness was very noticable. The top end really came alive with the lighter wieght Haulers. I think the lighter weight (and they'er not even that light!) and the fewer paddles really helped the engine spin up when it needed to.

I was really surprized at how much faster both bikes were when running the Haulers over the Sand Sharks.

I also got an up-close look and a quick test ride with some STU comp cut Brats. They were on an LT-R450. They are really shaved down. You could actually see some cord showing in a few spots. I believe they come in under 10lbs each! (tire & wheel).

Having felt the virtues of a lighter weight tire I'm thinking about cutting my SandSharks down. I have two sets and I don't like either of them....

http://www.dansracingsupply.com/Images/tgroover.jpg (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=275677)

kiesta00
01-10-2007, 02:48 PM
Awesome, I'm definitely not going more than 8 paddle haulers when I do order a set, this is just the type of test I was waiting for someone to do. What all mods were done to the faster 250r...I want to get 22" 8 paddles but even that might be too much. Thanks for the info gpracer

GPracer2500
01-10-2007, 04:15 PM
My buddy's: 86 TRX250R, DG pipe, Boyesen RAD valve, 160psi.

Mine: 85 ATC250R, PT High rev pipe, 38pj carb, Boyesen two stage reeds, unknown porting, 235psi. +2 swinger

The ATC can compete with many 450s, Banshees, etc. but only with the Haulers. The SandSharks really knock it down a notch. For drag racing, the difference really seemed to be that with the lighter, more free-spinning Hauler you could carry a gear or so higher. On a hill like Olds that difference could be 10 bikes lengths by the top.

Up Olds, with the Haulers, I was launching in 3rd, grabbing 4th pretty much as soon as I could (the ability to spin-up seems comes into play there) and then grabbing fifth--somewhere, it's hard to remember and every run isn't identical. Definitley grabbing fifth before halfway up the hill.

The Haulers did seem to be harder to get out of the hole quickly--but not a big difference. Rider skill (practice!) could make up for that I think. The staight paddles of the Haulers seemed to want to create push when trying to turn and accelerate at the same time. But the SandSharks did some of that too so....

Gearing on the ATC is stock. I believe the TRX started stock. We then went one down in the front. With the Haulers that almost seemed to be too low geared. With SandSharks I seem to remember the lower gearing helping--we didn't pay too much attention to that.

Here's the ATC with SandSharks that were run. They're not the ones I'm going to cut down--I've got another set that's the same but on lighter 8 inch wheels. If I could get them down to around 12-14 pounds each then I might be getting somewhere.:
http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/3605/pc150003resizeemailvh1.jpg

And with the Haulers. They are std buff:
http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/9712/p1070047resizeemailly0.jpg

Here's the TRX with the Haulers (different trip and there's a DG pipe on there now):

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/8483/pb200022resizeemailmq6.jpg

trailwart
01-10-2007, 05:14 PM
hope my 8 paddle extremes wont be to much for my 330pv. havnt used them yet, not sure what to expect.

400EX QUADER
01-10-2007, 09:41 PM
my r... Deffently not too many paddles.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/sickrider/250rgarage.jpg

400EX QUADER
01-10-2007, 09:42 PM
22" superlights 9 paddles btw.

iamjasyn
01-11-2007, 11:58 AM
Cool thread. I've been dreaming about doing some tests like this between paddle count and air pressure. I run 9paddle std haulers 20x10x10 on my fourtrax in Glamis. Now I wonder how the 6, 8 or even 10 paddles compare.

If I were to make a guess, I'd say 9 paddles better for the holeshot and maybe general duning, and less paddes possibly, depending on HP better for top gear runs.

On Olds I think I'm running 4th hard and just touching 5th toward the top on my ported 270 on 13/37 gearing. 5th and 6th are either higher or lower than an 88+ trx... I don't remember which.

What air pressure? I've been running like 3-3.5 lbs in rear. If it's lower pressure than say 6lbs, it's going to conform to the sand and float better for better traction right?

250r4life
01-11-2007, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by iamjasyn

On Olds I think I'm running 4th hard and just touching 5th toward the top on my ported 270 on 13/37 gearing. 5th and 6th are either higher or lower than an 88+ trx... I don't remember which.

the later years are not as high/long as earlier years...

250r4life
01-11-2007, 12:11 PM
Cool thread. I've been dreaming about doing some tests like this between paddle count and air pressure. I run 9paddle std haulers 20x10x10 on my fourtrax in Glamis. Now I wonder how the 6, 8 or even 10 paddles compare.

If I were to make a guess, I'd say 9 paddles better for the holeshot and maybe general duning, and less paddes possibly, depending on HP better for top gear runs.

yah- i have been wanting to do tests as well...
i have wanted to test the difference between haulers and sand stars, a 2stroke silencer that is freshly packed vs one that is blown out, and on the 450 between the stock header and aftermarket headers...

although i beleive there is a difference, i do not beleive that it is a full gear higher on the hill...

the problem is lots of people do not know how to ride, so its hard to judge what is good and what is not... i have a good buddy and we are pretty equal in weight, riding ability, etc... the problem is we both have the same set ups on our bikes... both when we both had Rs and both have YFZs...

250r4life
01-11-2007, 12:12 PM

What air pressure? I've been running like 3-3.5 lbs in rear. If it's lower pressure than say 6lbs, it's going to conform to the sand and float better for better traction right?

i run mine at like 8 lbs... i like them pumped up so i can spin them better...

mxduner
01-12-2007, 12:23 PM
3-3.5 lbs. 20x10x9 sand stars mainly stock 87.my haulers liked the same psi maybe a little more.never been to glamis:(

sandmanblue
01-12-2007, 12:52 PM
No hidden agenda here - just some info. 4th gear on the 87 - 89 250R at 8500 rpm with 20 inch tires is 50.2 mph with 13/37 gearing...

There's a really cool gearing calculator I got from another site that includes pretty much all the sport quads. If you know the rpm, tire size and gearing, then it's easy to find out how fast you're going. Problem is, rpm is tough to judge - gotta make some guesses sometimes.

If you want some more numbers or want to know where the calculator is, let me know. GPracer should know too.

GPracer2500
01-12-2007, 01:26 PM
The 6 paddle Haulers were at 5psi. The Sand Sharks were at 3.5 or 4 psi. The guy I met on the LT-R450 with STU comp cut Brats (6 paddle) was running 10psi (!). That seems like a lot but he said they just wouldn't slide to his liking at lower pressure. I'd guess most 250rs might not need quite so much psi in that same tire [shrug]?

We wanted to play around more with tire pressures but ran out of time.

GPracer2500
01-12-2007, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by 400EX QUADER
22" superlights 9 paddles btw.

Any idea what those weight? What pressures do you run? Built engine?

I'd really like to try a 22" Hauler. I've noticed that some retailers only carry the superlight/tripple buff variety in 22" sizes. Makes me wonder why....

300exQuadracer
01-12-2007, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by sandmanblue
There's a really cool gearing calculator

http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/250r.htm

blb515
01-12-2007, 08:39 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 250r4life

i have wanted to test the difference between haulers and sand stars, a 2stroke silencer that is freshly packed vs one that is blown out, and on the 450 between the stock header and aftermarket headers...

Great thread! I would be interested to see the results of these tests also.