PDA

View Full Version : 2006 HRC kit running with air box lid

gibsojs
01-10-2007, 09:58 AM
Contemplating purchase of HRC kit for 2006. I ride mostly woods in sometimes sloppy condictions. To gain full hp, gains HRC recommends running no airbox lid. I am reluctant to expose my air filter to these conditions. Does anyone run the HRC kit with the lid on or does this entirely defeat the purpose? How much of the hp gain is lost if runnung lid on.

01-10-2007, 10:09 AM
i just installed a hcst2 last night and run my lid too. I was wondering the same thing.

CHEVYZ
01-10-2007, 02:35 PM
You would most likely have to supply your own jets, but other than that you would be fine. Keeping the lid on leaves alot of power on the table, though, even vented lids. One of my buddies dyno tested his 400EX with and without a vented lid and gained 2HP with it removed. That is a really big difference (keep in mind, his bike is far from stock, but all the same).

450R22
01-10-2007, 05:54 PM
I am not running the HRC kit, but here is my opinion maybe it will help!
Keep in mind that a motor is a air pump, in order to push more air out (Silencer,pipe) you must first pull air in (air box).
With that being said, you will definately want to at least run a modified lid, or you other mods will be useless. I currently run a modified lid with a full LRD system, there is a difference in power if i take the lid off, but i also have to increase the main jet to get the full benefit. Hope this helps!

fatkid400
01-11-2007, 06:22 PM
You could try those little filter things (dont know exactly what theyre called or who makes them).You drill I think 6 or 8 holes in your lid then insert these little filters.Lets more air in but keeps the dirt and mud out.I'll look around and see if I can find a link for ya.

ghott
01-11-2007, 06:36 PM
Leaving the airbox lid on will definitely leave a lot of power on the table...just as others have said.

And if you leave the airbox lid on, and use the supplied "HRC" jetting, you will be too rich. This is why Chevyz stated that you would have to supply your own jets.

I suggest this alternative.....

Make a modified airbox lid. An airbox lid that still covers, and protects the filter, while at the same time, letting more air into your box. Check out the picture below...my buddy made this lid himself. He cut out the back half of the lid, then used a thin bent piece of metal to make a "splash guard."

Good luck!

TRXDresh
01-12-2007, 07:28 AM
Don't waste the money on the HRC kit if you are going to leave the stock lid on. You can use a lid like Ghott uses and you will have the best of both worlds. I run XC in nasty conditions without a lid and have had no problems at all. You can always go with an outerwear for extra protection. I had the same reservations as you originally, but everything has worked out without a lid.

trick250r
01-12-2007, 08:32 AM
im not sire who makes it, but someone makes a lid that lets air through (a tad bit restricted of course) but is waterproof. i do believe its blue in color and just snaps on just like any other airbox lid ive seen. ill keep looking around and see if i can find it for you... sounds like it would perfect for your application.

ghott
01-12-2007, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by trick250r
im not sire who makes it, but someone makes a lid that lets air through (a tad bit restricted of course) but is waterproof. i do believe its blue in color and just snaps on just like any other airbox lid ive seen. ill keep looking around and see if i can find it for you... sounds like it would perfect for your application.

How in the world could you do that? Have a water proof lid, and still allow airflow? I could see if it was water RESISTANT and still allowed airflow....

If this is true, I'd be very intrigued....love to see one.

trick250r
01-12-2007, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by ghott
How in the world could you do that? Have a water proof lid, and still allow airflow? I could see if it was water RESISTANT and still allowed airflow....

If this is true, I'd be very intrigued....love to see one.

my bad meant to say resistant.

thump4863
01-12-2007, 12:05 PM
Order an outerwears air box cover - its like $25 bucks - its just like running with no lid and water builds up on top and wont go through it. I've used this for 3 years racing XC and never had a problem with water getting in my airbox.

450RJerichoSand
01-12-2007, 12:45 PM
I have experienced the same thing - I installed my HRC Cam and the new Airbox lid (Open). I lasted 4 hours at the dunes before my filter was competely clogged with sand.

I researched lid covers that allow for more air inflow, but at the same time keeps sand, dirt and mud out. I found two that fit the 450R.

Pro-Tec,and
K&N

I went with the Pro-Tec and I love it!

I don't have actual tests with numbers, but I can feel the difference with the open lid.

TWILES
01-12-2007, 01:06 PM
I like the looks of the lid K + N makes thats one big filter. That with the outerwear cover would be great.

flowmasterz
01-12-2007, 02:53 PM
Definantly try out the Outerwears cover for the airbox i just bought a 07 and wondered the same thing about the water getting in. I bought the cover and ran it under the faucet before i put it on and you would be suprised at how much water it keeps out it amamzing. Good Luck.