PDA

View Full Version : LTR vs LTZ

300ex03_619
01-10-2007, 08:37 AM
I am about to trade for an 03 Z440, it is very built but has stock a-arms, with 450r shocks, and stock axle. I race mx and my dad said this spring he would co-sign for me an LTR450, so what do u think would be better, Z440 now, or LTR later?

firebug
01-10-2007, 08:44 AM
have you ridden an ltr?? I'd say stick with the z but if I could get a new one I'd go with the ltr too. personally the z feels more comfortable to me, but I've only sat on an ltr. sorry not much help.

PeeWee21
01-10-2007, 10:43 AM
If your mx'ing. Get the LTR. Motocross is about suspension and a stock Z's suspension just does'nt cut it. You'll have alot of $$$$ to get it to be as good as a LTR on an MX track. I race my KFX but hands down my buddies LTR handles alot better....it's not much faster, but does handle better...which in turn makes my lap times alot faster.

drnez
01-12-2007, 05:28 AM
Dont listen to PeeWee, he doesnt know what hes talking about :D

I'd spend a bit and makes your KFX more MX friendly.

KWAD GAWD
01-12-2007, 08:46 AM
Theres really no comparison. They are in two completely different categories.

The LTR is a motocross bike, built for one reason... to win a Championship, and Gust did.
The LTZ is a trail bike. Built to ride around in the woods with your friends.

If you are a motocross racer than buy an LTR.
If you are a trail rider, than buy an LTZ.
Simple my friends.

You really can't compare a modded LTZ to an LTR for motocross unless you've ridden both, and I don't mean for a cruise down the alley or up the driveway. Side by side - decked out LTZ vs. stock LTR, I'd pick the LTR any day for motocross.

drnez
01-12-2007, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by KWAD GAWD

The LTR is a motocross bike, built for one reason... to win a Championship, and Gust did.

Simple my friends.

You really can't compare a modded LTZ to an LTR for motocross unless you've ridden both, and I don't mean for a cruise down the alley or up the driveway. Side by side - decked out LTZ vs. stock LTR, I'd pick the LTR any day for motocross.

to each, their own. :D

z400roosteR
01-13-2007, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by drnez
to each, their own. :D
dude your signature is ****ing ridiculous, size it down.

and i would take either one personally.

z40021
01-17-2007, 05:00 PM

Simple my friends.

Hey you know that Gust also won a championship on a Z.
On the LTR he lost in points didnt he to Byrd(this yr)?
Next year will be good cause they signed Wimmer to take JJ spot right.

suzukigirl
01-20-2007, 06:27 PM

Simple my friends.

i agree that the ltr is much better for mx because that is pretty much what it was built for...but the z isn't just for trails...i race mx and ride the z and it is great....it really depends what level of racing you are at...if you are a beginner(like me) the z is probably better...but if you are more experienced then you'll want the ltr

smoothie
01-22-2007, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by suzukigirl
i agree that the ltr is much better for mx because that is pretty much what it was built for...but the z isn't just for trails...i race mx and ride the z and it is great....it really depends what level of racing you are at...if you are a beginner(like me) the z is probably better...but if you are more experienced then you'll want the ltr

some might argue that. i myself would say that it is easier for an amature to get on a 450 and do better because the amature will be using it's power not his/her own riding skills, which would be more needed when racing a z400 vs. ltr450. my 3 cents.

suzukigirl
01-22-2007, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by smoothie
some might argue that. i myself would say that it is easier for an amature to get on a 450 and do better because the amature will be using it's power not his/her own riding skills, which would be more needed when racing a z400 vs. ltr450. my 3 cents.

yes....but wouldn't you want to improve your riding skills before having all of that extra power to control

drnez
01-22-2007, 05:33 PM
Rider skill is FAR more important that power. You can put a rookie on the fastest machine around, and watch him get smoked by a good rider on a much lesser machine. I've seen it happen many times before. I see tons of kids with brand new 450's their parents bought them, with thousands in aftermarket, get injured very badly by thinking that they can handle the power. They cant! They are inexperienced, and have no business being on a track, riding like a bat out of hell. Start small, and work your way up. a Z440 isnt exactly a weak machine, I'll bet the power of that quad is close to that of the LTR. One thing I would be concerned with as a beginner racer is suspension! Suspension is very important if you want to go fast.

smoothie
01-22-2007, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by suzukigirl
yes....but wouldn't you want to improve your riding skills before having all of that extra power to control

oh ya, i totaly agree with that. i was just saying that it is easier to hop on a 450 and beat the competition because it has more power. it would be harder for a newbie to get on a "slower" quad and put him or her up against the same competition. that would be obviously and purely because the rider doesn't have the experience nor the ability to ride the machine as well as other might and find it more difficult.

and as drenz said, SUSPENSION!!! that is most important as far as your quad goes. I myself being a novice have almost all suspension mods(minus the slip on)