PDA

View Full Version : California sound restrictions !!!

Dune Surfer
09-22-2002, 08:19 PM
I was at the sand show in costa mesa this weekend and a ranger gave me paperwork saying on jan. 1st there will be a new law regarding allowable sound levels. 96 dbA. does anybody from Oregon know which pipes will pass at this level??? sound off if you have been tested and what pipes do you have, I would like to get a full exhaust but can't until I know what will pass.
Anybody have more info?
Bid D will you pass with that Sparks setup?

CHAUNCY
09-23-2002, 08:22 PM
AHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hate all this sound stuff.
Only a couple more months of freedom that means.

QuadJunkies
09-24-2002, 10:35 AM
Sounds like there will be more riders coming to Idaho then:):) NO DB here ...YET!..Im heading over to Ore. and Cali in the next year ,so it looks like i will be getting caps for my Yoshi.my DB is around 102 .Man, this really sucks too,does anyone know how much it takes away from your pipe when you have to cap it?

02exchic
09-24-2002, 12:20 PM
Well here in Oregon the db limit it 93. Go here: http://www.oohva.org/
Lots of good info. There are reasons they have regulations for all this stuff. And they do have pipes that will keep you within the limits without sucking all your power.

Also, I'm not sure how strictly they enforce all this too. It seems to me, at least in my own experience, that if you are respectful of the area you are riding that you won't be bothered. And the rangers only seem to be out in force on the holiday or big weekends anyway.

Well that's all I have for now. ;)

fooracer
09-24-2002, 04:08 PM
Doesnt this whole sound restriction thing sound really dumb or is it just me? I mean Its not like Glamis is right outside of a town where they can hear it and I cant imagine that anyone would actually go out to the dunes for a nice weekend of peace and quiet. Im sorry if I offend anybody by saying this but these stupid tree huggers wont be happy until we arnt even allowed to go to the dunes. Why should they get to tell us what we can and cannot do in the dunes when we are the ones paying them money. Sorry if I sound like the little whiny kid that will never shut up because I dont like people that just pi$$ and moan all day too but this is just how I feel about all the new laws and crap that they are trying to make..............:)

QuadJunkies
09-24-2002, 04:10 PM
diddo.:)

airheadedduner
09-24-2002, 04:35 PM
Whats funny is 99% of the riding area on the OR coast is on the oppisite side of the highway from any near by towns. Trucks and open piped harly's are flyin by 24/7, if they gave those people tickets to they could make a lot more money.

Latly they havn't been to harsh on sound patrol. The last time I was out there me and a friend flew by a state trooper and the sound police and they didn't even look.

mopar 400
09-25-2002, 10:31 AM
Well I too am in California. I ride a lot out at Pismo and up here at Hollister Hills. For the past year there has been a sound restriction at Hollister, and to be honest, I am runing 102-103db with my full Duncan Racing Pipe, yet I have not been bothered once. The thing as most of you are saying is even if there are levels that have to be met, how often do they really check? Out here when they started to tell everyone that they had to meet a limit of 97db, they set up a sound test area to check your levels and if you passed, then you got a sticker that you put on top of your registration, yet I have never been asked by any ranger when I drive in if I am within the limits! My point is even with the limits, how much will they really check?

out4sand
09-25-2002, 04:25 PM
Like 02exchick said, they typically are not in force but on the big weekends in Oregon. On the 3 large holiday weekends though, watch out. This year over the 4th of July at Coos Bay they had rangers on bikes that would pull you over on the bull run flats and then make you pull into the trees to do the sound check. The guys camped next to us got nailed and had to wait in a line 45 quads deep before being tested and then given a fix it ticket. And that is the key, as long as your not an *** about it they typically will give you a fix it ticket.
As far as which pipes will pass I'm not totally sure but I did have our 400ex tested with the FMF mega-max and power bomb by the sand patrol at Sand Lake - it blew in at 93db. Hard to say with the additional motor work if it would still pass but I think it might as long as they truly used the DB meter correctly and the packing was somewhat fresh.

www.out4sand.com

CHAUNCY
09-25-2002, 05:57 PM
Mopar 400
Where is Holister Hills ?
What is the riding like there ?

Str8Wicked
09-27-2002, 03:28 PM
Just remember this.... How many rangers will be sitting in Glamis measuring everyone's pipe. No way, shyt they can barely even get the drunks.... Now in other smaller locations that I ride like Azuza they may be able to do some ticketing. But most people riding Azuza aren't to loud anyways and half of the year 2 strokes are banned.

PismoGuy400
09-27-2002, 08:23 PM
hollister is about 15 miles out of gilroy... about half of those miles are are driving on windy roads up the hill.

im running a t-4 at hollister, and have never been bothered, but i dont know how loud it is.

i personally love going to hollister...especially after a few days at pismo..

they have hot showers, sinks and bathrooms ...

the first thing youll notice is a pretty big hill that ive never seen a quad try, but alot of dirtbikes..the whole place is mostly dirtbikes, but youll see a handfull of quads..

there is alot of scenic trails, theres a few lakes/ponds, mostly one way trails, 6 tracks there, 2 for bikes under 100cc (i think), a motocross track, quad/3 wheeler track, a vintage track that only bikes are allowed on (it used to be my favorite: untill they stopped the quads from using it)
, and another track that has a few small doubles and table tops this one is a popualar one because everything is allowed on it.

the trails are well maintained, not much mud except for around the lakes.... everything mostly hard pack dirt, but some of trails that take you up the hill get pretty loose and rutted.

where are you from..if you are close enough its worth atleast a day or 2

but yeah,....anything you want to know just ask,

later
pismoguy