PDA

View Full Version : thumpstar

Bulletracn
01-09-2007, 06:41 PM
I read that the Thumpstar quads are made by Apex. If this is true, what is the difference? Are they the 06 Apex that I read some negatives about, or are they just like the 07 Apex's that I hear good remarks about. Thanks for info.

ecmini1
01-09-2007, 07:51 PM
The thumpstar is like the Apex pro shark. I dont know what you heard about the 06 Apex pro mx but they are a great mini we raced 2 last season and 0 problems. The 07 promx have a few upgrades but all cosmetic frame gusset, frt disc brakes and anti vibe stem other than that its an 06. Its great they keep upgrading them it shows progression in the sport.

Bulletracn
01-09-2007, 08:21 PM
I agree 100% on updrades for prior problems. I have a Typhoon 70. Enough said. I am loking to possibly change the brand of quads my sons will race this season but I want to do some research before I put the money down. I just know what I read on this forum about the rear shock, broken gears,and bushing mods. Don't want to bash, just want to do some research and put my kids on the best and safest quad I can. Thanks

jayz400
01-09-2007, 08:24 PM
My son runs an 06 apex and have had good luck with the bike. Going to upgrade the trans with bushing to make it stronger to prevent any breakage. Gusset the frame for peace of mind I don't care how good something is built if you beat on it long and hard enough something will break. Just trying to prevent the chances of that happening. The guys at East Coast Performance Mini Quads are good guys and helping me with my sons quad.

ecmini1
01-10-2007, 08:30 AM
Brian,
Depending on your rider and type of racing is to what needs to be donre to the minis. Like jayz said every thing has a breaking point we can only try to make them bullet proof. The apex is a great starting platform.

Bulletracn
01-11-2007, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the feedback guy's. I know and agree with the longer you beat something the more prone it is to brake. I have been forced into picking up quite a few wrenches since my boy's have started racing. So what you guy's are saying is that since the Thump is basically the apex, it is, and will, make my boy's a good quad. Right? I think the 07 Apex's sound good, but I am thinking about the THUMPSTAR as a starting point and building it up to become a good racer. What do you think?

ecmini1
01-11-2007, 04:39 PM
Apex has 2 diffrent minis Pro shark and Pro mxr the 2 minis are super diffrent the thumpstar mocks the pro shark. You have to put money into a pipe, clutching, carb, intake widening and upgrading the cylinder with the Pro shark. Lots upgrades to be done concludes more money. Or just buy a Apex mxr and have a great starting platform.
We allways advise our customers on this up frt. We understand its all about the price but you will spend alot more in the long run by not going to the mxr 1st IF you are going to race. If its trail riding the thumpstar will out shine alot of the stock minis out there Hope this helps you out.

Bulletracn
01-11-2007, 07:06 PM
yes it does. Can you tell me how much a Pro mxr costs? Out the door.

ecmini1
01-12-2007, 05:58 AM
The apex Pro mxr otd is 3400.00. The Pro shark is approx a grand less the wider axle and a-arms alone almost cost the price diffrence between the 2 not incl. clutch mods, carb and better cyl. .

mxdad789
01-12-2007, 05:56 PM
WRH has them 3500 out the door delivered to your door and all with the AC Package. Better deal for only 100 more. The AC package alone is about 400 not to mention delevery. And he is the man on minis.

jayz400
01-14-2007, 05:06 PM
East Coast Performance has the same deal $3500 with the AC upgrade out the door shipped. Good group of guys to deal with. You can't go wrong with the APEX product for the price.

Bulletracn
01-14-2007, 08:45 PM
are there any dealers in Ohio? If so are they loyal to there product and most of all, their customer. So far wolfpack racing has been very helpful to me and I like what he has had to say. I would like a dealer thats closer to me, but I am more than willing to travel the 5-6 hrs. to deal with a good dealer.

tarzan271
03-24-2007, 10:15 AM
I know this is an old post, but I have a Tumpstar Pro 90 and want to clear some stuff up. First off, it is almost an Apex Pro and IS built by the same company. My owners manual says APEX on it. The engine is identical including clutch, 24mm carb, liquid cooled, race pipe, high compression head, etc. The only difference is the suspension. The Apex has wider A-arms and rear axle. The shocks, nerfs, bumper, brakes, wheels, tires, etc. are also the same.

Shane at Wolfpack racing is the nicest, most helpful guy I have met in the quad industry. I cannot say enough about his integrity and kindness. I wouldn't trust West Coast Quads or Greg as far as I could throw him.

I sent my motor to Wolfpack and Shane put on a race intake, removed the oil pump, added a blockoff, upgraded the head gasket, upgraded the tranny bearing, cleaned, jetted and installed a 28mm Keihin carb (Used - I sent), and put it in a quad to tune it. Including shipping he only chaged me $325 which included a new single pull throttle cable.

This machine absolutely screams and I would buy another in a second. For the price Wolfpack is charging and how he stands behind his products, I think buying anything else is stupid, unless you got the cash for a Cobra. I weigh 240lbs. and this 90 Thumpstar will move me about 45+ mph up a hill.

For racing, you would probably change out the weak Apex axle and A-arms anyway. So the $1000+ saved by buying a Thumpstar can buy a good wide suspension that would blow away the Apex stock crap.

Trust me, buy from Wolfpack Racing if you are in the market for a new mini. Shane is honest about his machines and will set it up for cheap before it leaves his shop.

mxslevnik69
03-25-2007, 07:57 PM
I raced a thumpstar last year. I think it is an awesome mini quad for racing as long as you dont land with the gas on. I was used to my honda that I raced in 2005 when I got my thumpstar so I broke a couple transmittions, but besides that it worked pretty well. I raced for Wolfpack Racing last year and I am again this year. He really stands behind his products that he sells and if you have a problem with something he tries to teh best of his ablity to help you with it. If you want to check out his website it is www.wolfpackracing.com. I will be racing a typhoon 125 this year though because I want to shift so its an easier transition when I race my trx250x. but yeah the thumpstar is an awesome race mini quad.

tarzan271
03-25-2007, 08:28 PM
He has a $10 fix for the tranny problem. There is a weak bearing from the factory that he replaces with a high quality European one. There is also a head gasket problem on the water jacket. He also has a $10 fix for that. He will change both of these if you buy one from him before it leaves his shop.

Awesome machine for the price, with customer service that is second to none.

WOLFPACK
03-28-2007, 09:06 AM
Thank you for the awesome compliments! We are equally pleased that everything worked out and your child can finally enjoy his quad!

Thanks again for your confidence!

Shane

ecmini1
03-28-2007, 03:28 PM
Its always great to hear some in the industry doing good for their customers. its hard to please everyone.