PDA

View Full Version : Is this a paypal scam?!

cheetah
01-09-2007, 06:24 PM
I am wondering if anyone has heard this scam. I'm new paypal and not 100% on the ins and outs of it. Here is my situation. I had a set of front Elkas on ebay. The buyer closed it early with "buy it now". I sent him info on how to pay and it took about 3 days for him to respond. He finally calls my house and has a very heavy accent. He claims to be from Chile. (First thought in my mind is scam) He says that he understands I do not ship outside of U.S. so he wants the shocks sent to Miami. He intends to send payment via paypal tomorrow at which point I will send shocks to Miami with (and he stressed many times) no invoice.

It just doesn't sound right and I'm not sure how they can screw you over through paypal. Anyone heard of this before? How does it work?

zack221
01-09-2007, 06:35 PM
i dont see how they can rip you off on paypal but it does sound a little stupid but if you wanted to you could put the money in the bank and made sure it cleared before you shipped them out

Joe400ex
01-09-2007, 06:36 PM
ya that sounds preety fishy. :eek:

cheetah
01-09-2007, 06:48 PM
It does sound very fishy, but I just can't figure out how they would rip me off if the money is in my account.

WhiteYFZ
01-09-2007, 06:52 PM
make sure the money clears first

cop292
01-09-2007, 07:25 PM
Like the others have said MAKE SURE the money is in hand before you ship. What probably will happen is he will tell you that his Paypal is messed up and try to talk you into giving him your bank info so he can "wire" the money. If it were me: No invoice with Paypal confirmed address=No Sale

Just my opinion!

honda4life72
01-09-2007, 07:31 PM
yea make sure the money clears and then with draw it out so he can't do a charge back of whatever

blasterandy
01-09-2007, 07:36 PM
paypal requires you to clear a charge back unlike most credit cards. I don't see how he could. Just get the money from pay pal and make sure its in hand before.

cheetah
01-09-2007, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by blasterandy
paypal requires you to clear a charge back unlike most credit cards. I don't see how he could. Just get the money from pay pal and make sure its in hand before.

That's what I was thinking. He had to have the money to even get it into the account.

AbnMP13
01-09-2007, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by cop292
If it were me: No invoice with Paypal confirmed address=No Sale

Just my opinion!

Ditto, ship to the confirmed address so you have Paypal backing you. I'd abort the transaction personally.

juanki
01-09-2007, 08:23 PM
with paypal, you'll have the money with you, there is no way to scam, i belive.
the thing with no invoice is because he doesnt want to import the shocks, if he has an invoice he has to pay extra for customs.
i dont thik its a scam

WhiteYFZ
01-09-2007, 10:20 PM
alrtie.. i was on my ps3 in my last reply and it takes a while to type lol..

just get the money, and then request a check from them..

what happens, is if he doesent have the money, paypal lends it to him, and then he doesent have to money in his bank account and bla bla bla and the end up freezing your paypal account..

its a *****.. its happened to me.