PDA

View Full Version : quick jetting question

blown331
01-09-2007, 03:42 PM
My local store here closes in a few minutes and I am wondering...

Bike is bone stock, I would like to just pull the air lid off and re-jet.

I already got a 42 pilot jet for the cold starts and im going to remove choke.

I'm @ 3,400 feet of elevation roughly and would like to remove the air lid. What would you guys recommend? I tried searching several times and couldnt real dial in what i needed in the short amount of time i have to run down and grab these.

any help would be appreciated

hornetgod13
01-09-2007, 07:57 PM
I'd go with a 150K or 152K. Start with the 152K and see how she runs.

Honda#4
01-09-2007, 08:08 PM
I think the 152 mite not be enough try a 155 or even a 160.

blown331
01-10-2007, 02:03 PM
so... i installed the 42# pilot jet... however, my local dealers 42 jet that screwed in was a little longer than the factory jet. The jet fits fine and there are no obstructions, so im assuming this is fine.

i also installed a 155 main jet along with the 42 pilot because i also removed the snorkel, air lid and also choke

i put everything back together, filled my gas tank, and turned the fuel to on. tried cranking the bike cranking cranking finally started for about 15 seconds (I had to hold in the throttle a good amount to keep it running) let off the throttle to see if it would idle and it died. wouldn't run since then... looked in my air filter box and a good amount of fuel is in there..

any help please? When i pulled the main jet off, i unscrewed it from the bottom and it exposed a needle. the needle seemed loose in its position but i did not move it.. installed new main jet and screwed it back together over the needle...

is it common to run rich when you clear the carb/fuel lines prior to disassembly by running the bike with the fuel off... then possibly pumping the throttle too many times to start when everything was back together?

Honda#4
01-10-2007, 02:35 PM
The needle just sets in the throttle piston, there is two little screws that hold the needle in place but does allow it to move a bit. When I jetted my carb the needle was alittle loose I would'nt worry about it.

I think your pilot maybe to Rich try a 40 pilot. Maybe put your needle in the 3rd slot from the top.

blown331
01-10-2007, 02:39 PM
I dont see why a 42 pilot would be too rich since everyone else is recommending these during the winter months for cold starts. its been in the 40's and below that here lately so this thing is acting super cold blooded.

Is that correct that even in the winter months people are going 40 pilot? or is 42 still the norm?

Honda#4
01-10-2007, 02:49 PM
I think some people with heavy moded motors put in a 40 pilot but i'm not sure on that. But I really don't know why either, but in cold weather a 42 pilot is the norm. Maybe by chance your floats are stuck causing the gas to come out. I myself have never had a problem like you have. Maybe you need a bigger pilot?

blown331
01-10-2007, 03:36 PM
ok, so i cleaned up the fuel in the airbox and let it dry out... tried to start the quad again and nothing... i pumped the throttle a few times and then tried starting.. pumped a few more times and nothing immediately fuel started coming back out of the intake filter

im not sure what is going on.. if something is stuck open.. or needs to be fixed what would it be? I just installed the 42 pilot and 155 main

airbox lid is off and snorkel removed those are the only mods

AbnMP13
01-10-2007, 04:03 PM
PM hornetgod13 with a link to this thread, he seems to know alot about jetting. He helped me out immensely.

blown331
01-10-2007, 04:06 PM
ok, im going to go with hornets educated guess and put a 152 in it...

However... what would be causing tons of fuel to be coming from the intake? Does this mean the float is stuck open somehow? I'm not sure even what would cause this to happen

after trying to start it.. i left the choke open and fuel on accidentally to run and take a few calls for work and when i came back i had about 1/4 gallon of gas on my floor leaking from my unplugged snorkel inlet from the air filter....

Honda#4
01-10-2007, 04:24 PM
O MY GOD that's a lot of fuel. You definently have a big problem if that amount is coming out. Can you get pictures of the airbox and the carb lines for me if possible cus I would like to see this, just to see if I can fix your problem. Maybe your Acellerator pump took a crap or maybe that's pluged causing a fuel backup if that's at all possible.

Seriously if I had that problem I would rip the whole frickin carb apart to see the problem, but I know you probably won't do that unless a last resort.

blown331
01-10-2007, 04:59 PM
the airbox lines are all where they were originally

the bottom piece of the carb that you remove with the 4 philips screws has a rubber hose coming from that... and then there is another "y" hose the splits into one which im not sure where those go... I had them linked into one another when this problem was happening,but i dont see where else they would go...

im really lost.. i pulled the carb apart again and everything looks normal? the plastic piece that goes over the main jet can only fit one way and i place that on.. then slip the cover back on and bolt it down and still the same problem?

AbnMP13
01-10-2007, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by blown331

the bottom piece of the carb that you remove with the 4 philips screws has a rubber hose coming from that... and then there is another "y" hose the splits into one which im not sure where those go... I had them linked into one another when this problem was happening,but i dont see where else they would go...

Aren't those just vent lines?

Honda#4
01-10-2007, 05:43 PM
Well it's got to be one of these problems

1 Inlet needle vavle clogged
2 Float level too high
3 Needle Valve worn or stuck open
4 Fuel line pluged

This was out of my troubleshooting guide. If it ain't those problems that I listed then you definently need to take it to a Honda dealer to get it all serviced.

I'm sorry for your problem that you have. It's a pain when something like this happens and you can't figure it out. But keep trying the solutions we give you so we know whats going on.

We'll get so hang in there.

hornetgod13
01-10-2007, 07:00 PM
Seem to be struggling. Maybe I can help.
First off....the 2 hoses you mentioned do not get connected. The one that comes off the bottom of the carb is a carb bowl drain line and is routed down just in front of the swing arm. The other from what it sounds like loops around the top of the carb and goes just above the front top of the carb and it slides into a hole in the white heat shield just under the fuel tank.
But is sounds like you have a serious rich condition. One time I changed a main jet by turning the whole carb sideways on the quad and my float got stuck. It had the same problem you mentioned. I had tons of fuel in the air box. I took the carb apart and put it back together and it fired up.
Try a new spark plug. I bet that plug is so wet and fouled that it won't create a good spark.
The main jet won't solve you stating problem. This an issue with the choke, float level, pilot jet, or fuel screw.
How many turns out is your fuel screw?

making
01-10-2007, 08:00 PM
Also check tank vent line to make sure it is not pluged ,and remove fuel cap to make sure tank is not pressurized!

blown331
01-11-2007, 07:33 AM
ok cool, i think my problem were those 2 vent lines being tied into one another...

secondly... i was very easy with the carb when replacing the jets... the bike ran flawless prior to me doing this.

I see on the heat shield where the one line goes, the other vent just points down towards the swing arm?

I am going to try this as well as pulling the carb back off and re-cleaning everything.

I really hope maybe just tying those two lines together was causing the problem

AbnMP13
01-11-2007, 07:58 AM
ok cool, i think my problem were those 2 vent lines being tied into one another...

I see on the heat shield where the one line goes, the other vent just points down towards the swing arm?

Yes

I really hope maybe just tying those two lines together was causing the problem

Me too.

blown331
01-11-2007, 08:34 AM
I really appreciate the help guys... Anything fuel injected, and i have no issues. Go BACK in time and deal with these things we call carburetors and i'm lost.

Once I get some free time from work today ill head out to the garage and try my luck at getting this thing fired back up...

Also, I put a 155 main jet in there... the only engine mods would be snorkel removal and air lid off. Someone said this may be too rich...

I bought 4 spark plugs to have as extras and to aid in tuning... Thanks a bunch... if for some reason I can't figure it out, ill try something else too :)

Honda#4
01-11-2007, 10:45 AM
I think a 155 is about right to start out with.

blown331
01-11-2007, 11:41 AM
ok, after everything it ended up being that my vent tubes which i thought tied into one another needed to be exactly that, vented.

fired right up with choke removed and 155 main installed. took it around the block and could see a bit of fuel coming from the exhaust, or a tad bit of smoke, kind of hard to tell while on it

anyhow, pulled the carb back off and installed a 152 jet and she seems to be running fantastic.. i dont know if i feel any gains power wise yet but the throttle response is much better without the choke

I really appreciate all the help guys.. I do think I may need to go back to a 155 main here soon as temps keep dropping and dropping.. who knows it may need it now, ill pull my plug and check it after another brief cruise

also... My ngk plugs i bought take an 18mm socket to get to.. my 18mm wont fit down to get the stock plug out... any ideas?

Honda#4
01-11-2007, 03:27 PM
Do you have the spark plug wrench that came with the bike? If not buy one cus that as far as I know is the only thing that will get down enough in the 400 head.

I wish they would have brought the plug up some, it's so hard getting in the head, I personally don't have a problem with it but it would be nice if it was higher.

blown331
01-11-2007, 03:41 PM
nah, i lost the plug tool that was in my kit at Glamis a few weeks back. Somehow my cap popped off and everything is somewhere burried in the sand.

Im going to try and use my buddies YFZ450 plug removal tool and see if it is the same size

AbnMP13
01-11-2007, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Honda#4
If not buy one cus that as far as I know is the only thing that will get down enough in the 400 head.

Same way with my 2002 954RR, must be a Honda thing.:rolleyes:

Honda#4
01-11-2007, 05:14 PM
Yea it must be, why did they even think it that way.

AbnMP13
01-11-2007, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Honda#4
Yea it must be, why did they even think it that way.

To force you to buy their tool! :D

hornetgod13
01-11-2007, 07:05 PM
I'm glad you got it running. I knew you had issues when you had the vent and drain lines together.
I bought a Craftsman 18MM Spark Plug socket and took it to a grinder. I ground off about 1/16 to 1/8 inch off the diameter. I fits perfectly now. I can start and spin the plug tight and torque it with a torque wrench now. The socket only cost $5.99. Here's a picture of it once I ground it down.

hornetgod13
01-11-2007, 07:06 PM
Top view of the socket

blown331
01-11-2007, 07:17 PM
hornet, if my neighbors YFZ tool doesn't work that is exactly what im going to do. I have about 5 18mm craftsman deeps, so grinding one isn't an issue. What sucks is my buddies $100 set of thin wall snap-on's work fine

hornetgod13
01-11-2007, 07:21 PM
Wear gloves when you grind it. It gets extremely hot. I even put it on an extention while I ground it for better control and to keep my fingers cool.

blown331
01-12-2007, 05:54 PM
had to grind one down.. works like a charm now