View Full Version : New slip on installed, wont start? wtf lol carb help i guess....

idro
01-08-2007, 09:50 PM
Ok, i got the slip on installed, HMF.

ATV won't start, its normally not this hard to start. Like it is VERY VERY cold natured. I couldnt even get it started to do a carb/jet test run

I really don't know if this has anything to do w/ it, but in the instructions it said to remove the header gasket? Um... everyone else did that right? Or what? Is that true or what? In my exhaust experience i thought you needed a gasket between the engine and exhaust pipe?

Also, can anyone link me to a article that tells how to take off your carb? I tried and tried to get the tools i had to my carb jet area and what i had won't reach. Was trying with a socket and i just couldnt get it to fit. I don't have any MM wrenches so im not about to go buy some.

For the most part, im sure my jetting is going to be either 152 or 155... So i think i got that down. Just this cold start is killing me, i think i read something about that somewhere but my internet is being lame and i just can't find it.

Anyone with advice, is well appreciated.

81 clark racing
01-09-2007, 04:08 AM
ya when you take your header pipe off your spose to replace that gasket with a new one.

quadman 05400ex
01-09-2007, 05:49 AM
ya i switch my yosh slip to my dr.d slip and my ex wont start i fold out a plug so my geuss is the jeting

PismoLocal
01-09-2007, 06:04 AM
ok for starters you need a gasket between the headerpipe and the head. The gasket is a copper ring that goes between each header pipe and the head.

Next your jetting all depends on altitude. if your 3000ft above sea level you need completely different jetting than a quad that is at 500ft above sea level. Tell us your elevation and we can help you out.

idro
01-09-2007, 07:11 AM
oh im 500ft above sea level.

but im stumped on why its so hard to crank, its like it has been sitting in the cold for a week. and i just rode it the day before i put the pipe on.

I have to take my carb off because i can't get a 17mm socket on the bottom from any angle.

I've got my quad completely broken down, trying to get to the main jet. Only 1 screw is stopping me, some dumb monkey from the factory stripped out the screw on the clamp that connects the carb to the motor.

I thought jetting was 'simple' every tutorial i have read said that, i guess i must be going about it the mad scientist way.... s

idro
01-09-2007, 07:28 AM
yea i pulled the plug off, jetting still an issue, don't think a spark plug is supposed to be solid black. lol. There is my problem. Off to autozone i go to get more spark plugs, but i still gotta get this jetting right to not foul up any more spark plugs...