PDA

View Full Version : 1987 Honda TRX350D 4x4 Top-End Noise

dieselpower1973
01-08-2007, 09:43 PM
I just recently picked up an '87 TRX350D 4x4. It fires right up, even with the kickstarter, but there is an obvious ticking sound in the top-end at idle. This ticking sound becomes a very loud tapping sound as the throttle is opened. I shut the engine off when I heard how loud the noise got at higher rpm's; it just didn't sound healthy at all.

Any advice? I'm new to four-strokes and could use some advice before I start an engine tear-down.

It seems like compression is very good and the valve clearances must be in spec or it wouldn't start as easy as it does. I've checked the cam chain tensioner and it seems to be working properly. Just looking for some guidance...

steve181
01-09-2007, 05:01 AM
Tear down the top end, then see if it needs rebuilt. If thats not the problem check the valves to see if they need replaced or ajusted.

JIMFROMTEXCO
01-09-2007, 09:47 AM
my 350x was doing the same thing.... tear the rocker cover off and in spect the cam and journals.. if they dont look worn adjust the valves to spec... you will notcie how the cam dosnt have bearings it was a major design flaw on hondas part

dieselpower1973
01-09-2007, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the info. It's good to know that I'm not alone with this problem and that it shouldn't require a major tear-down.

So what exactly did you find on your ATC top-end?

By the way, I also have a '92 TRX250X that I just recently purchased...always wanted one. If you get bored and want to chat it up about the old X model, I'm interested in the mods...especially the 350X conversion. Did you do it the hard way or buy the Powroll conversion kit?

Thanks again.