PDA

View Full Version : 416vs426vs440

j450rking
01-08-2007, 09:30 PM
i want to know how much of a power diference is there in between the three big bore kits

HondaEXrider22
01-09-2007, 04:30 AM
Yes, it would be helpful to me to. DOnt forget the 406. Also which one kills reliability the most.

PismoLocal
01-09-2007, 05:11 AM
There is no difference between horsepower for those three bores. It all depends what compression each motor is running and the other mods that go with it. It also depends on where you want the power too. My 440 can almost drive the quad without gas if you let out the clutch slow enough, where as a 416 might make more horse at 9000 rpm than my 440 makes at 6000. It all depends on how you build the motor.

underpowered
01-09-2007, 09:16 AM
it really depends. there are lots of variables that go inot building a motor other than bore size. Comp ratio will change alot, how the motor was broke in, who built it and how it was built, the cam you run, the exhaust. all with change the power characteristics of the motor.

a 406 is similar to a stock 400, does not create enough power to really use a high end cam, simply does not creat enough power.

416-great all around, a little more torque than the stock or 406 but still revs quickly and has a nice top end punch

426-(personal favorite)-very torquey, power everywhere form bottom to overrev, great for trails and al around riding.

440-alot of low end, revs a little slow but has plenty of power, not so great on top

these are all opinions from personal experience riding the individual bikes. but like i said every motor is different. the 440 seems to be the least reliable due to the heat created, but my 426 has been together for 3 years and counting. tore apart this past summer for check everything and it was still well within tolerances. get what you want, in teh end they are all great and if built right power differences will be noticable, but not that significant. i would go small like a 416, to allow for more over bores in the future.

zrpilot
01-09-2007, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by PismoLocal
There is no difference between horsepower for those three bores. It all depends what compression each motor is running and the other mods that go with it. It also depends on where you want the power too. My 440 can almost drive the quad without gas if you let out the clutch slow enough, where as a 416 might make more horse at 9000 rpm than my 440 makes at 6000. It all depends on how you build the motor.

In my opinion THIS is the best explanation for the difference....

1) Components used in build.
2) Bore Vs. Stroke.
3) Compression.

Ruby Soho
01-09-2007, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by underpowered
it really depends. there are lots of variables that go inot building a motor other than bore size. Comp ratio will change alot, how the motor was broke in, who built it and how it was built, the cam you run, the exhaust. all with change the power characteristics of the motor.

a 406 is similar to a stock 400, does not create enough power to really use a high end cam, simply does not creat enough power.

416-great all around, a little more torque than the stock or 406 but still revs quickly and has a nice top end punch

426-(personal favorite)-very torquey, power everywhere form bottom to overrev, great for trails and al around riding.

440-alot of low end, revs a little slow but has plenty of power, not so great on top

these are all opinions from personal experience riding the individual bikes. but like i said every motor is different. the 440 seems to be the least reliable due to the heat created, but my 426 has been together for 3 years and counting. tore apart this past summer for check everything and it was still well within tolerances. get what you want, in teh end they are all great and if built right power differences will be noticable, but not that significant. i would go small like a 416, to allow for more over bores in the future.

the 406 produces a little mroe power than what you said. it has enoug power to run a stage 3 cam.

zrpilot
01-09-2007, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by underpowered

A STOCK bore 400EX at 11:1 can run a Hot Cams stage II nicely, so a 406 at 11:1 could run high end cam as well...

vett_09
01-09-2007, 10:13 AM
Reliability is based on how well the motor is built. A 416 can die a lot faster than a 440 if it was not built properly and broken in properly. Of course what kit you buy is based on how much money you can spend. Everything in my signature was installed this year, by me, and I did it for less than $1000. I built my quad for mid range to top end, and the 416 works great for that. I've never ridden a 440, but I have ridden a 426 and I really didn't notice a difference between that and my 416.

Joe400ex
01-09-2007, 10:24 AM
I have a 99 400ex with a stock bore. I want to do a build next winter. but any way i already have a LRD full exsaust and dyno jets and k&N filter. If i did a 416 with a 11:1 comp piston with stage 2 cams and a port and polish. Would i feel a big diff from what i already have. thnx srry to steal ur thread man

joe400ex

zrpilot
01-09-2007, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Joe400ex
I have a 99 400ex with a stock bore. I want to do a build next winter. but any way i already have a LRD full exsaust and dyno jets and k&N filter. If i did a 416 with a 11:1 comp piston with stage 2 cams and a port and polish. Would i feel a big diff from what i already have. thnx srry to steal ur thread man

joe400ex

Can you say...Oh Yeah!!

If done correctly it will be a nice change that will put a big smile on your face!!

underpowered
01-10-2007, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
the 406 produces a little mroe power than what you said. it has enoug power to run a stage 3 cam.

i was jsut saying from personal experience. my buddy had the old stage II hotcam in his 406 with full pipe, MSD ignition, re-jetetd, with a wiseco 11:1 piston and on top end the bike just simply would not pull that big of a cam. it was great but would not rev out like it should have ih higher gears. your 406 may be different, i am just speaking from experience.

nlvredneck
01-13-2007, 03:20 PM
well, from everything i've been reading/learning on this site just about anything you do to the 400ex for more h.p.'s drives the reliability down and the money up:confused: go 11.1 = race gas and stud kit to keep everything together, to much cam = valve springs/rockers. i'm learning to keep it mild for a budget or modded with money :)

johnsls
01-13-2007, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by nlvredneck
well, from everything i've been reading/learning on this site just about anything you do to the 400ex for more h.p.'s drives the reliability down and the money up:confused: go 11.1 = race gas and stud kit to keep everything together, to much cam = valve springs/rockers. i'm learning to keep it mild for a budget or modded with money :)

I TOTALLY DISAGREE.

If thats your opinion don't just think it's the 400ex it would be ANY engine you opened up. But IMO if you build it right it,,, it will last.
Depending on how you ride and how often depends on how much work you'll have to do to keep the bike running and running well.