PDA

View Full Version : leak from under quad

300_dude
01-08-2007, 07:43 PM
I have an 01 honda 300ex and everytime I pop a wheelie my friends tell me that it leaks fuel from the bottom. whether it completely filled up or half tank or almost no gas it leaks. I am afraid it might catch on fire. there is like a little hose right on top of sprocket and rear brake rotor. apparently that hose comes from the gas tank. everytime it is on a vertical position whether i'm popping wheelies or loading it in my truck it leaks. it is soooo annoying. does anyone knows what the problem is? thanks a lot

HiperEX
01-09-2007, 10:44 AM
thats perfectly normal is doing that becuase only so much feul can get into the carb at one time and also, to keep it from flooding out its a overflow tube, correct me if im wrong

300_dude
01-09-2007, 11:41 AM
I am just afraid that it could catch on fire. besides if am popping a wheelie for more than 45 seconds or a minute I have just lost all that fuel. thanks for the info though

John Pennella
01-09-2007, 07:47 PM
That could be from the float in the carb being stuck open and making the gas flow out the over flow tube.

300_dude
01-09-2007, 08:01 PM
if it is because of the float in the carb what can I do about it. is there anything at all I can do to avoid these problems. thanks a lot

JOEX
01-09-2007, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by 300_dude
if it is because of the float in the carb what can I do about it. is there anything at all I can do to avoid these problems. thanks a lot
Don't do wheelies:p

John Pennella
01-12-2007, 07:31 PM
Pssh. Ya dont do wheelies. Not an option. Just take the bull off the carb and theres the whole float unit in it. Make sure it's clean from any rust chips or dirt because thats wut clogs the float from moving. To be honest it's been a while since i fixed my quad from leaking and forgot exactly wut to replace but it was a rubber piece that deteoriated from the gas and u just replace it and throw back together. And remember to always turn ur gas off when ur done riding and let the gas run out of the carb alittle because the gas eats stuff up in the carb. Sorry I cant be more specific Im just having a brain fart.

JOEX
01-12-2007, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by John Pennella
Pssh. Ya dont do wheelies. Not an option. Just take the bull off the carb and theres the whole float unit in it. Make sure it's clean from any rust chips or dirt because thats wut clogs the float from moving. To be honest it's been a while since i fixed my quad from leaking and forgot exactly wut to replace but it was a rubber piece that deteoriated from the gas and u just replace it and throw back together. And remember to always turn ur gas off when ur done riding and let the gas run out of the carb alittle because the gas eats stuff up in the carb. Sorry I cant be more specific Im just having a brain fart.
He said it only leaks when doing wheelies or in a verticle position, I belive this is 'normal'.

300_dude
01-12-2007, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
He said it only leaks when doing wheelies or in a verticle position, I belive this is 'normal'.

im just afraid it might catch on fire. and it wastes a lot of gas. so on the carb i just undo the intake and try and clean it out???????? I would have to get help because I really do not know. but thanks for the info. :D

JOEX
01-12-2007, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by 300_dude
im just afraid it might catch on fire. and it wastes a lot of gas. so on the carb i just undo the intake and try and clean it out???????? I would have to get help because I really do not know. but thanks for the info. :D
I wouldn't worry about a fire if the drain hose is long enough to avoid the exhaust system and you or no one behind you smokes:p

Some one here fabbed a catch system using an ordinary plastic beverage container but I don't remember the results of how well it functioned.

John Pennella
01-13-2007, 06:23 AM
I did mine while the carb was still on but it maight be easier to take it off. I would talk to someone at the dealer to see exactly what to replace and order it. Also, it should be leaking no matter what angle the quads at. Thats not safe and enviroment friendly.

rumme
01-13-2007, 05:43 PM
I siliconed a 1 gallon milk jug underneath my carberator onto my frame...then I routed the overflow hose into that...now when I ride and do wheelies, the gas goes into the 1 gallon jug and then I just refill my gas tank up with that gas when I get home. Ive been riding my 400ex for 3 years and only had to buy gas one time so far....

flauge
01-13-2007, 06:25 PM
Haha.. sounds like what i used to do with my old hooptie i had. I had an old 80 something honda 125 quad that leaked gas real bad.. so i wedged a beer can between the side of the motor and the frame and put the overflow hose in it.. worked good, whenever i got done riding id fill er back up..:blah: