PDA

View Full Version : Burnt Mills Marshall’s Creek/402 PA

Puzzled
01-08-2007, 06:31 PM
Burnt Mills Marshall’s Creek/402 PA

In my quest for legal places to ride I decided to try one of the DCNR locations. Burnt Mills is located off of Route 402 between Marshall’s Creek (Route 209) and Route 84. Access to the trail parking is simple. The parking lot is plenty large enough to support the largest of truck and trailer combos. There is even a Porta Potty just in case you have to go. The trail is clearly marked with three different markers. A green symbol with a picture of an ATV differentiates which trail is which. There are red triangles (arrows) along the trail to keep you on the trail and to show you when the trail makes direction changes. The final marker is a larger yellow arrow indicating which way to go. You’ll cross over a couple of paved roads along with a few dirt roads. Each intersection is clearly marked with a stop sign. Most of these same intersections have a gate closing the trail off to anything larger than an ATV.

The trail is about two bikes wide in the narrowest of sections and slightly wider elsewhere. The first leg of the trail appears to have had some drainage issues taken care of recently. These repairs resulted in mounded up stone making for some nice in transit trail jumps. They were better going down the hill as opposed to coming back up. To say the trail was rocky is an understatement. It isn’t as bad as Paragon (for those who have been there). All of the rocks can be ridden over so they are not large just plentiful. Water wise the trail wasn’t terribly bad. I’d imagine after a generous amount of rain it would be pretty wet throughout.

Since it is winter the scenery was sparse. The plus side it that visibility was good. We came across about six other bikes while on the trail. Not bad considering its location and the time of the year. You have to cross over a cool little wooden bridge about half way through the seven mile course.

Unfortunately that seven mile run is all there is. There are no deviations from the trail making the return trip the same one you just made. If your into speed and jumps this isn’t the place for you. This trail is best suited for a leisurely ride on a utility quad or a sport quad with a top shelf suspension. With only 14 miles of trail in and out you won’t be here long. If you don’t have any place else to go this is a fine place to go. If you have a better spot to ride than I suggest you go there. After this ride on a very good suspension bike I felt like I just went twelve rounds with a heavy weight boxer. I really don’t see myself going back unless I was to hear there were trail upgrades. While it may sound like I’m knocking Burnt mills I’m not. It just isn’t for me. I commend the DCNR for opening up these trails to ATV’S in a time where nobody wants us.

soda7o
01-10-2007, 12:38 PM
I completly agree.. i went there once before it is actually about 10 minutes from my house in PA. burnt mills is open all year round.. there is also another trail there that is only open in the summer.
i got the same impression of the trail as you did... it was pretty rocky, and your body takes a beating. the first part is fun with decent roads and some jumps.. after the bridge you speak off and crossing the two paved roads it gets really really rocky!

BTW you can deviate from the trail just a bit.. we found another trail that led back in to the main one after. there are also snow mobile trails there that are so much better than the quad trails, but do not get caught on them! i was there the day after it rained heavily and it was not bad, at one point we did encounter a mini mud pit that was created cause of the rain.. .

over all i probably would not go back there but it is a legal place to ride and is close to my weekend house, so i am sure ill be back there...
if you ever go up there again let me know..

stang9gt
01-11-2007, 10:17 AM
Gotta check this place out. 15$ for a yearly pass. Any kind of riding you want (cept dunes).

http://www.ssrt.org/

In Snow Shoe, Pa. I've been there at least ten times and still haven't touched all the trails. The main trail is a gravel easy riding trail. The trails off of the main trail can lead to mud, grass trails, shale playgrounds and hillclimbs. Open all year round. Huge parking lot. The bridge in the main slide show on the home page is 185ft up and has a rail on only one side.

soda7o
01-11-2007, 10:21 AM
looks like a nice place but way to far from me.. alsmot 300 miles

Puzzled
01-11-2007, 10:40 AM
161 miles for me just to the town center. Just a little to far to go to ride, or not. :D

Puzzled
01-11-2007, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by soda7o
[B]I completly agree.. i went there once before it is actually about 10 minutes from my house in PA. burnt mills is open all year round.. there is also another trail there that is only open in the summer.
Which side of the road is it on? I ventured down the other side of the road and it was by far a better trail.

BTW you can deviate from the trail just a bit.. we found another trail that led back in to the main one after. there are also snow mobile trails there that are so much better than the quad trails, but do not get caught on them! i was there the day after it rained heavily and it was not bad, at one point we did encounter a mini mud pit that was created cause of the rain.. .
I'd like to know where that was.

soda7o
01-11-2007, 10:54 AM
puzzled...
i am not sure which side of the road it is i did not go there but i found i on the DNCR site.. i also talked to some one i met on the trail and he siad its pretty much the same crap..maybe a bit less rocky...

as far as going of the trail.. not surehow we got there.. we kept trying and trying and making all sorts of turns..

which trial is the better trail .. accross 402 or accors bushkill road? i know snow mobile trails are better but they dont let us ride on them

Puzzled
01-11-2007, 11:03 AM
I crossed over 402. It wasn't marked for ATV's nor did it say keep out.;)

We went back to Marshall's Creek and road our butts off in the play area. The race track was in perfect condition. You were able to carry a lot of speed through the turns. We never hit the trails!:D

soda7o
01-11-2007, 11:05 AM
whats the play area?
so youcrossed 402.. isnt that private property?
and where is this race track with turns that you speak of??

let a brother know.. i am rpobably goign to be in PA this weekend for the long weekend.. ( btw i am over in dingmans ferry wild acres community)

Puzzled
01-11-2007, 11:43 AM
PM'd you some directions.

here are some pictures from earlier this year.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=272226&perpage=15&pagenumber=2

If you can go Saturday I'd be interested as Sunday is the Bears playoff game at 1 PM and I won't be missing it.:D

soda7o
01-11-2007, 01:23 PM
sat during the day is fine with me for now.. unles sofcourse its going to be raining

Puzzled
01-11-2007, 07:37 PM
I just got off of the phone with Lostboyz and it appears were going to try and ride Saturday weather permitting. We'll get the phones a ringing tomorrow and see who wants to go.:D

soda7o
01-12-2007, 08:07 AM
just shoot me a pm andlet me kwon what you decide..preferable the night before..

Puzzled
01-12-2007, 08:04 PM
We should be there between 11-12 weather permitting. I'll PM you my number.

Puzzled
01-13-2007, 05:38 PM
Hey we are heading there tomorrow. 10a.m. is our target time.